Amelia Earhart photo taken in Japanese custody?

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 10:50 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amelia-earhart-survived-plane-crash-photo-japanese_us_595cfac6e4b0da2c73265d82
[There is a video at this link and a good view of the photo in question]

Investigators trying to determine what happened to Amelia Earhart more than 80 years ago now believe a newly discovered photograph shows she survived her final flight and was captured by the Japanese.

“When you see the analysis that’s been done, I think it leaves no doubt to the viewers,” Shawn Henry, former executive assistant director for the FBI told NBC News.

The photo, which was found in a former “top secret” file at the National Archives, is believed to have been taken in 1937, the same year the legendary pilot vanished during an attempted round-the-world flight.

The photo shows a woman who resembles Earhart and a man who appears to be her navigator, Fred Noonan, on a dock in the Marshall Islands. The Japanese ship, the Koshu, can be seen in the background towing what investigators believe could be Earhart’s Lockheed Electra plane.

The photo was discovered by Les Kinney, a retired U.S. Treasury agent who has spent more than a decade searching for clues in the case. His work and Henry’s analysis of it will be presented in the two-hour documentary Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence.

Kinney said the photo “clearly indicates that Earhart was captured by the Japanese.”

“It was misfiled,” Kinney says of the photo in a clip from the documentary. “That’s the only reason I was able to find it.”

The experts believe the photo was taken by a spy before the pair of aviators were imprisoned in Saipan, where they ultimately died.

Other researchers have speculated that Earhart did not die in a plane crash, but instead spent her final days surviving as a castaway on the island of Nikumaroro, Kiribati. As evidence of this theory, the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery told CNN last year that an unidentified skeleton found on the island in 1940 ― initially misidentified as male ― strongly resembled Earhart. However, no definitive identification has been made.

Japan’s Foreign Ministry, Defense Ministry and National Archives said they have no records of Earhart or Noonan being in their custody. However, many records from that time did not survive World War II, WTVJ News reported.

The History Channel is running the documentary on July 9 at 9 p.m. ET.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,769 • Replies: 22

coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 12:03 pm
I thought that was pretty much settled. The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Itasca received sporadic communications from her as she neared Howland Island, the last leg before the Hawaiian islands, saying she was low on fuel.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/amelia-earhart-disappears
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 12:09 pm
@coluber2001,
Did you see the photograph in my article?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 12:15 pm
Real or doctored? With modern technology (regardless of what the article says about it being unaltered), it adds more to the mystery. For doubters of the original tale, this gives credence to a governmental cover-up theory. For others there will be those who stick with the original vanishsment and won't budge.

I remain unsure.

Appreciate the article, gives me something to new to ponder.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 12:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm on a cell phone, and it's pretty difficult to see anything in that photo.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 12:41 pm
The evidence from the photo implies that somehow she was captured by the Japanese as she was approaching Howland Island. But the sporadic communications received by the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Itasca didn't mention receiving any communications about the Japanese, only that they were lost and running low on fuel. But since they were running low on fuel, that meant that they must have been close to Holland Island.

The PBS program I saw said that Noonan plotted a course south of Howland Island between it and a tiny Island farther south so that even with a deviation in their flight they would have seen one of the islands. However, Amelia Earhart aimed straight for Holland Island and flew off course North of the island. It was also an overcast day with a low ceiling.

Of course a lot of this is speculation too. But they knew she was close to Holland Island.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 12:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Enlarging that photo shows there is a mast on the supposed "plane". It probably is just another boat. I think this is another hype just like the "face" on Mars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 03:18 pm
The replies so far don't mention that anyone watched the video.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 03:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I watched about a third of it. I was certainly dazzled by all the photos popping up and disappearing. If there was a reason for the presentation, it eluded me. Possibly, it would have been more useful to show the recently discovered photo and furnished appropriate commentary.
Krumple

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 04:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
To me that photo is terrible.

To me the person they are suggesting is her, just looks like a Japanese young man facing a way.

Here is the thing, she's captured but those men are facing the camera and she's not? That doesn't make sense. She could have dove into the water. They aren't treating her in the photo like a captive.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 04:03 pm
@roger,
You didn't watch to the end.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 04:04 pm
@Krumple,
I can't even reply to that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 04:05 pm
I think most people are so afraid of looking foolish they have decided against the whole thing in advance. There will be a two hour show about it on Sunday.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 04:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
You are right. The impression I got from the ~ one third was the reason for not seeing it through.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 04:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I think most people are so afraid of looking foolish they have decided against the whole thing in advance. There will be a two hour show about it on Sunday.

No, I have no commitment to any story line. We are not afraid of "looking foolish" just because a new something or other is presented.

hightor

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2017 02:50 am
"Taken prisoner" — yeah, look at all the soldiers! And that blob sitting on the dock is a dead ringer for Earhart.

Quote:
Other experts have cast doubt on the documentary’s photos claims. Ric Gillespie, executive director of the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, said there was no evidence that the person in the photograph was Earhart.

Gillespie believes Earhart died as a castaway on the island of Nikumaroro, Kiribati, where a partial skeleton was discovered in 1940. “There is such an appetite for anything related to Amelia Earhart that even something this ridiculous will get everybody talking about it,” said Gillespie, author of Finding Amelia.

“This is just a picture of a wharf at Jaluit [in the Marshall Islands], with a bunch of people,” Gillespie said. “It’s just silly. And this is coming from a guy who has spent the last 28 years doing genuine research into the Earhart disappearance and led 11 expeditions into the South Pacific.”

Matthew B Holly, a military expert, told Agence France-Presse the photo appeared to have been taken about a decade earlier than the date given by the History Channel.

“From the Marshallese visual background, lack of Japanese flags flying on any vessels but one, and the age configuration of the steam-driven steel vessels, the photo is closer to the late 1920s or early 1930s, not anywhere near 1937,” he said.

not particularly convincing...

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2017 05:21 am
@roger,
who was it that presented a shot supposedly taken 2 years before Amelia E even took off?
I saw it on a news broadcast in a restaurant and missed the sound (The waitress told me about the supposed date)
camlok

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:42 am
@farmerman,
Typical American fascination with conspiracy theories. You are all wacko conspiracy theorists. All of you even believe in the USGOCT.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 05:42 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Typical American fascination with conspiracy theories.

Camlok said that? Camlok!?
camlok

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 09:00 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Typical American fascination with conspiracy theories.

I did, Roger the dodger. You're one of the myriad intellectual cowards who supports the wacky, goofiest ever USGOCT.
0 Replies