Just How Crazy Can You Get?

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:21 am
I love this...

Time to ban divorce and adultery... and masturbation
by John in DC - 11/21/2004 08:14:13 PM

I'm serious. It's high time we started fighting back against the far-right and their religious coup against our democracy. And I think the way to do it is to give them what they want, and watch the American people freak out.

First off:

1. A constitutional amendment banning divorce.
2. A federal law making adultery a felony.
3. A federal law making blow jobs (i.e., sodomy) a felony, even for married couples in the privacy of their own homes.

We can then move on from there later. I'm quite serious. The next time the fundies want an amendment "protecting" marriage, we ought to give it to them. Stop debating gay marriage. Let's REALLY talk about marriage. Let's get the fundies to admit what their REAL agenda is. Ask them to make their marriage amendment broader to include all of the above.

I did this a year ago when I was sitting in for Mike Signorile on Sirius radio. I was interviewing a lawyer with the American Family Association. I got him to admit, on the air, that if he were a state legislator he would vote to ban all sodomy, even between consenting married heterosexual adults in their own bedrooms (and he specifically included blow jobs, when I asked him about it). I wanted to make the entire debate on gay marriage this year about blow jobs and the religious right wanting to ban them.

Then there's masturbation.

Did you realize that last year when Justice Scalia dissented in the Lawrence v. Texas decision, the one that overturned ant-gay sodomy laws, he angrily included a long list of things that the state would no longer be able to regulate as a result of the Lawrence decision - i.e., things that Scalia and his religious right ilk WANT to be able to regulate:
State laws against bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity are likewise sustainable only in light of Bowers' validation of laws based on moral choices. Every single one of these laws is called into question by today's decision; the Court makes no effort to cabin the scope of its decision to exclude them from its holding.
That's who we're up against, folks. People who want the power to regulate masturbation.

Again, I cannot believe that no one made an issue of this last year. This would have been my number one talking point. And we should add that to the list of new state laws and state constitutional amendments we propose - regulating masturbation. Could you imagine your local politicians having to answer questions about masturbation at their press conferences, all because THEY started this debate? How about writing letters to the editor about it, and letters to your member of Congress? Tell me that wouldn't be a hoot.

The religious right activists are absolute nut jobs. And the American people would freak if they saw how utterly evil and stupid religious right activists really are. It's time we showed them. I'm not sure any organized political group at the federal level has the cojones to grab on to something like this, but perhaps some local activists can in their own state. Hell, form your own pro-family group and start your own campaign to defend marriage, while pushing the agenda I've outlined above. What would the fundies do? Oppose you? Not likely, when it's what they actually believe. And in the end, they'd be exposed as the extremist wack jobs they really are.

I'm thinking maybe we start a blog, or many blogs, each of us extolling the virtues of abstinance, OUR God and Country. Inform the public that not only will masturbation make you blind, but that you will also be banned from heaven. Make it clear that this is serious stuff, like divorce being abominable and shouldn't be allowed... EVER! Under any circumstances.

BTW, some religious right also interpret the Bible in such a way as to suggest that when arriving in heaven, divorced couples will be reuinited. Your first wife will be your eternal partner, so we need to start pushing for all divorced people to be required to remarry their first wives right now.

All additional suggestions for what should be included in the Way Right platform are welcome. Add them here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,298 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
Add that to the already losing Dem platform. It will surely garner tons of votes for its proponents. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:26 am
This is hilarious! It'll make for some great t'gving dinner conversation.

I'll have to think about more planks for your Way Right platform.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:31 am
"The religious right activists are absolute nut jobs. And the American people would freak if they saw how utterly evil and stupid religious right activists really are"

I wonder who you include in the "religious right"? How about those Baptist Ministers we see on TV or other "televangelists"?

I wonder how a average religious person would react if they read your comment and thought it was directed at them? Why would you call a religious person STUPID?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:39 am
woiyo wrote:
"The religious right activists are absolute nut jobs. And the American people would freak if they saw how utterly evil and stupid religious right activists really are"

I wonder who you include in the "religious right"? How about those Baptist Ministers we see on TV or other "televangelists"?

I wonder how a average religious person would react if they read your comment and thought it was directed at them? Why would you call a religious person STUPID?

Because if it is not a material thing with tangible value, it ain't real and is thus worthless?

Perhaps like inert gases and molecules?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:41 am
I see that some got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

My sister once told my niece that she needed to go back to bed and get back out on the other side and see if she could find her "good attitude."

My niece, 3 years old at the time, went back to her room. Returning a few minutes later she stated, "Mommy, I looked everywhere, even under my bed, and I just couldn't find it."

It's worth a look, anyway.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:44 am
squinney wrote:
I see that some got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

My sister once told my niece that she needed to go back to bed and get back out on the other side and see if she could find her "good attitude."

My niece, 3 years old at the time, went back to her room. Returning a few minutes later she stated, "Mommy, I looked everywhere, even under my bed, and I just couldn't find it."

It's worth a look, anyway.

Perhaps you are right. Did you mean that sendup of people of faith to be a joke?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:48 am
It's sort of obviously satire, Larry.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:53 am
seems the right doesn't have a sense of humor freeduck..lol
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:57 am
FreeDuck wrote:
It's sort of obviously satire, Larry.

And lame satire, at that. Good satire requires an element of truth. Even Christian Evangelicals tolerate divorce and masturbation since neither is prohibited in the bible.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
Well, Larry, I don't know about all Christian Evangelicals, but I know more than a few far Christian righters (and quite well at that) and for them this satire does have an element of truth.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, Larry, I don't know about all Christian Evangelicals, but I know more than a few far Christian righters (and quite well at that) and for them this satire does have an element of truth.

O.K., I concede that viewed as a joke it does make more sense.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:04 am
Larry434 wrote:
Perhaps you are right. Did you mean that sendup of people of faith to be a joke?

Larry, is your world-view really that monolithic (so that a comment about religious extremists is a comment about all people of faith), or are you just being contrary?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Larry, is your world-view really that monolithic (so that a comment about religious extremists is a comment about all people of faith), or are you just being contrary?

The latter, of course. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:49 am
Larry434 wrote:
Even Christian Evangelicals tolerate divorce and masturbation since neither is prohibited in the bible.

Wrong.

Masturbation is a sin.

God hates divorce
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:37 am
woiyo wrote:

Quote:

Perhaps from a repeated, over time, lack of ability to do two things:

#1: Use logic.
#2: Think independently.

Over the entire course of my life, I have never encountered any group, from race, nationality, or creed, whose members are as consistently guilty of failing to do the two items listed above as the Religious.

By far.

Therefore; though I do attempt to judge individual people on an individual basis, in general, I do not find religiously-minded people to be overly intelligent. Though they are quick to assert that they are right and you are wrong....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:37 am
p.s. I already know that you disagree with me, whoever you are reading this, and I don't care, so don't bother slinging a bunch of sh*t my way unless you want to be ridiculed....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
Great links, Joe.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
and now for some piling on. For all those I watched leading up to the election with the "Abortion is Murder" agenda. I say put your money where your mouth is and demand, yes demand that any woman that can be proved to have had an abortion be tried and, if convicted, be exectuted under the law for felony murder (ok, at least life imprisonment)
btw I had believed that most anything sexual was legal as long as none involved enjoyed it. It just goes to show you how wrong I can be.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
Re: Just How Crazy Can You Get?
squinney wrote:
I did this a year ago when I was sitting in for Mike Signorile on Sirius radio. I was interviewing a lawyer with the American Family Association. I got him to admit, on the air, that if he were a state legislator he would vote to ban all sodomy, even between consenting married heterosexual adults in their own bedrooms (and he specifically included blow jobs, when I asked him about it). I wanted to make the entire debate on gay marriage this year about blow jobs and the religious right wanting to ban them.

Then there's masturbation.

Did you realize that last year when Justice Scalia dissented in the Lawrence v. Texas decision, the one that overturned ant-gay sodomy laws, he angrily included a long list of things that the state would no longer be able to regulate as a result of the Lawrence decision - i.e., things that Scalia and his religious right ilk WANT to be able to regulate:
State laws against bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity are likewise sustainable only in light of Bowers' validation of laws based on moral choices. Every single one of these laws is called into question by today's decision; the Court makes no effort to cabin the scope of its decision to exclude them from its holding.

That's who we're up against, folks. People who want the power to regulate masturbation.

Hilarious ... damn.
0 Replies