Christmas with Snow Without

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:22 pm
Do you like Christmas(you dont have to be christian to enjoy this one, its a roman pagan holiday) with snow or without?

We havent had a snowy christmas for the alst two years in ontario and it bugs the hell out of me. Whats your view.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,176 • Replies: 59
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:01 pm
Yes I miss snow. I used to live in NY City, Providence and Kansas City. Not at one time, but spaced over a number of years. Houston never gets snow. A few flakes, maybe, but that's all.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:02 pm
Thats a shame. Snow is pretty awesome till it turns to slush. down here it usually snows a fair amount after christmas, but it is alot better if it snows in December.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:08 pm
We hardly ever have snow, but it happens every once in a while... enough to make it seem extra, extra special.

According to this cool website which covers all of the USA but not Canada, the likelihood of one inch of snow falling in Seattle is 7% on Christmas and zero that we'd ever have 5 inches or more. It just doesn't happen.

Will There Be A White Christmas This Year?

Seattle's favorite weatherman, Steve Pool, says this:http://www.komotv.com/news/images/steve_pool.jpg

Quote:
Since 1891, it has only snowed on Christmas five times (in Seattle).

The last Christmas Day snow was in 1990 (those here will remember that infamous arctic outbreak). Most of the snow fell earlier, but we did manage 0.8" on Christmas. Before that, we had an inch in 1965, a dusting in 1944 and 1915, and about 2" in 1909.

For more recent events: The big snowstorm in 1996 didn't start until Dec.26, and we did manage 2" on Christmas Eve in 1998 but it melted before Santa could arrive.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:10 pm
We've never ever had snow! (not only at Christmas - but never!)

Why would you want it?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:21 pm
Margo... Very Happy it's pretty. It makes the whole world look clean and fresh. It smells good. The sound of snow falling is wonderful.

You just don't know what you're missing.... Christmas in the summer weather.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:24 pm
The 1st year I was living in Oklahoma we got up, opened presents, etc.. and then I went out into the back yard and pruned my rose bushes in shorts and a T-shirt. It was 80 degrees and sooooo not Christmas.

Snow on Christmas eve is perfect.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:25 pm
Snow for Christmas is great...but for any other day...no thanks
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:59 pm
Snow should stay there, where it belongs to be: in the mountain regions.

A bit on Christmas eve - and some days later - however, would be fine. (Got our first already.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:17 am
Starting with Dickens--thoroughly aided and abetted by Irving Berlin and other verbal landscape painters--Snow & Christmas have become intertwined concepts.

People in Australia--and the rest of the Southern Hemisphere, to say nothing of people in California and the Southern states feel that a green Christmas (or a brown Christmas, depending on latitutude) is inferior to a Real White Christmas.

Personally, I don't like snow either for walking or driving.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:43 pm
Snow, no snow, whatever......still love christmas though. I saw my first christmas tree the other day:

1st thought..........how premature

2nd thought.........how nice Very Happy
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:06 pm
Personally i dont mind seeing snow on my front lawn from christmas eve until the end of february. I need something to snowboard on. Anyways christmas just feels way more like christmas when there is 20cm(i have no idea how to think in inches) of snow on your lawn.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:03 pm
I like snow for Christmas.
I recall one year where there was enough to go cross-country skiing on my new skis in the side yard.
I'm not so wild about driving down the 401 in a blizzard trying to get 'home' for Christmas.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:00 pm
Never had to do it, but im guessing it would be pretty brutal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:03 pm
Brutal's a good word for it, Etruscia.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:47 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

People in Australia--and the rest of the Southern Hemisphere, to say nothing of people in California and the Southern states feel that a green Christmas (or a brown Christmas, depending on latitutude) is inferior to a Real White Christmas.

Noddy - with all due respect - RUBBISH!

A white Christmas is some sort of northern hemisphere aberration. While we're aware that it is that way up there, we're bloody glad that it's not that way here. Inferior my foot! Our Christmas, in summer, is simply different to yours.

I'm sorry, Noddy, but I do feel that was a remarkably patronising and/or insular statement.
0 Replies

crisscross

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:42 pm
I totally agree with Margo - I'm from Western Australia which has long, hot summers (no snow ever) and we just do things differently - picnics at the beach or barbecues around the pool .... and the food .... mangoes, strawberries and champagne, crayfish (lobster) and prawns (shrimp), etc., etc.

Christmas is what you make it, regardless of the climate.

A lot of people these days celebrate Christmas as a time for family and friends to get together and have fun and to have the freedom to be outdoors (and the ability to get away, if only briefly, from some of the more obnoxious rellies - and who doesn't have them) is fabulous.

As a child, I spent 5 years living in Germany and all I can say is, you can have your snow, cold and frostbite. I'd rather have heat stroke!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:43 pm
margo, crisscross--

Thanks for the correction--I can be exceedingly, stupidly imperious--without particularly trying.

I confused Australia and Southern California. You Australians are much too independent and self reliant to envy miserable weather just because a dead & buried crooner insists that he is dreaming of a White Christmas.

Please accept my abject apologies--I'll grovel either in a snowdrift or a sandy stretch of the outback, whichever would serve to wipe out my careless insult.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:05 pm
This time I side with the politically incorrect.
That is: Noddy.

Men in Santa Claus costume under a sunny 100 degree noon, unicel snow, fake birch trees among coconut palms, "Jingle Bells" on the beach, surfing on Christmas day... that's cheesy, cheesier than Xmas itself.

Plus, Christmas is, in it's roots, a pagan celebration of the rebirth of the sun. You can't do that in the wake of the summer.

We hardly ever get snow in Mexico City (3 times over the last 40 years), and have never gotten in Christmas, but it's nice and cold for our standards (an average Christmas day ranges from the low 30s at night to maybe the 50s on the Farenheit scale at noon).

I don't understand those who go to Acapulco for Christmas (only 250 miles south, but down from a 2300 mt altitude to sea level: a big climate change) for no family reason whatsoever.

And when I have experienced a white Christmas it feels more like it. (The good thing being able, most of the time, to go back to nicer weather).
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:46 pm
Somewhere along the way, the northern climes seem to have left an
indelible mark on Christmas imagery. It makes for an interesting
tableau: my neighbor is setting up a Nativity scene on his lawn flanked by
Frosty, Santa and Rudolf.

Since Christmas is such a family-oriented feast, I guess how you think it
should look depends on how it looked where you grew up. I'm a New
Englander so a white Christmas looks right to me.
0 Replies