Third Curtain.... Rain Forest Wild-Clickers, Unite! 3 Clicks

pwayfarer

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 08:08 am
Stradee- I posted before seeing your terrific information and photo. It really makes our little clicking seem like a drop in the bucket, but maybe all us little folk will make a dent sooner or later. Sooner, I hope.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:17 am
pwayfarer, "us little folk" are doing a fantastic job! Smile

<clicking and waving fire extinquisher>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:14 am
Good stories, Danon. Interesting that the parts we're clicking are so near the road. I guess I thought we were in the midst of the jungle somewhere. Who "owns" the land and when did they acquire ownership?

Clicked or cricked... another drop in the bucket. If you've ever had a drip under the sink, you know, the bucket eventually fills up. Very Happy

I changed the front page again for that better web link. Thanks, Matrix, for the right address.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
Danon, y're right as rain. The victim in the "Wild Bill" gunfight was a man named Tuttle. This is off the top of my pointy little head and I diremember the first name.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:26 pm
Matrix500, many libraries have sections devoted to oral histories that were recorded by friends or by librarians. Old people can give history a real life and character by adding anecdotes that would never make it into most history books. I've tried so often to get Dys to write down his grandfather's history and his own. Too many people never take the time--what a pity.

Clicked for my drop in the bucket.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
You and your 282 friends have supported 1,644,108.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 51,732.3 square feet.
You have supported: (33,409.3)
Your 282 friends have supported: (18,323.0)

American Prairie habitat supported: 31,878.5 square feet.
You have supported: (9,106.1)
Your 282 friends have supported: (22,772.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,560,497.6 square feet.
You have supported: (157,913.6)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,402,584.0)
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:31 pm
Hi, everyone...

Went to a student-lead conference at my daughter's school today, and as we were leaving, her advisory teacher (he's like the Dean of Students) gave us certificates for two free brunchs at one of the waterfront restaurants around here. They're worth like $25 a piece (w/o drinks, alcohol, tips), but the teachers had been given some extras and were handing theme out to the students who were doing an exceptionally well. It was really nice. Very Happy

Stradee...
Great article! I've been hearing and reading about it in the news for a while...(I like the fact that we may be the reason that those little narrow strips of strips of trees are still there. Maybe with the help of our clicks, someday those little narrow strips of trees will become a full, lush rainforest again. Yeah, they will. Gotta think positive!)

danon & Merry Andrew...
Interesting stories! Your conversation is one that my son would love to be in the middle of (if I told him about it, I'd never get my computer back!).

Piffka...
The link thing...the one I gave you can still be clicked on by anyone who wants to click for the rainforest but doesn't want to become a Wildclicker to do it. The difference between "our" link and the "standard" Care2 link is that ours will add to our team's total, and after this many years of daily clicking, we kind of want to retain our position of #1 in the world...it's a good incentive for us. Smile

Diane...
They have those programs at the public libraries here in WA state and by the time I heard of them, my grandfather had already passed away. His father had been a policeman in Germany and after he died, he and his mom and his siblings imigrated to the U.S. He used to tell me about the Native Americans who used to come by their home in one of the Dakota's who would trade beads and blankets to his mom for hot meals and other supplies. My mom has his family bible (although he was my dad's stepdad - he raised him from when he was about 4 years old) and it's loaded with all kinds of old pictures (glass, tin prints, photos, etc.) and a family roster that goes way back, signed by so many different people from so long ago. It's a real treasure trove - fascinating to go through! Still, with all of the information contained in it, those personal stories aren't really there, and I really wish that they could have been. I've related as many of them to my kids as closely as I can remember them. I guess while we're living our lives, day to day things just don't seem as interesting to us as they probably will be to someone in the future. It's kind of hard to think that way. My dad's real dads family came from Scotland and he was raised on a plantation in the south (during the early years of his life) - such a foreign concept to me - but I've seen some of the pictures of him and his parents there. Over several decades, my mom's dad became so close to the Native Americans in eastern WA that they would take him to their favorite freshwater fishing places and sometimes we'd get to go with him. Deal was, that he couldn't tell anyone where they were. My grandmothers had equally interesting lives (especially the one who has just turned 100 - one of her sisters was a Flapper). When I add the stories of all my grandfathers and my grandmothers together, it's amazing that it all came together the way that it did.

Considering the tag line that you have from Dys' grandfather...oh, man, he should really write/record whatever he can remember about his family's history. LOL!!! What a character! I'd love to read more about him.

Thanks for the stats, ehBeth. They seem to have taken a lot of our leaderboards away from us at Care2. I wish they'd put 'em back!

And, pwayfarer...
It's good to see you posting with us on a regular basis again! Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:40 am
Matrix, what an interesting family history!

I'm working on a family pictorial project for my daughter that will include photos of g g grandparents, g granparents, <aunts and uncles>
and thier kids photos. Those are just the 8x10's! Haven't even begun labeling all the smaller photos yet. Will be a neat surprise for daughter though. Plus, including a journal with writings about our family.

My mom also saved both her and my dads parents immigration papers, plus thier citizenship certificates. My god, i've even got WW2
ration coupons <two sets> with my sibs and my name stamped on each. Plus, have everyones birth certificates! Mom and dad said they were destined to meet and marry - both delivered <seven months difference in age> by the same midwife! What are the odds of that happening!

Don't recall stories regarding my grandparents <both sets> trek from Italy, Ellis Island, then California. Will ask my mom's eldest bro when we chat next.

Thanks everyone for the great family stories. Diane, tell Dys the best gift he can give his family is a journal. My parents wrote letters to one another before and during their married life. Quite a remarkable legacy for thier kids and grandchildren.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
Hi evryone,
Talking with our elders is more important than we think - Years ago I spoke with my father's mom when she was in her 90s'. She told me the story of how she and my dad's dad went to the county seat in a buggy to get their marriage license. She said it took all day and was dark by the time they returned. My point is that while telling me the story she mentioned a tiny fact that my grandpa had been 9 yrs old when his family moved from GA to AL. That tiny fact established several other dates that had been missing in our family genealogy. So, it's very important to talk about family history.

Matrix,
Yep, those tiny strips of uncut forest are the result of our clicking!!! We can only hope that it will help our grandchildren.

Clicked.......................
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:33 am
g'day all ~

pwayfarer, good news about rainforest recovery projects Smile

The Choco-Andean Rainforest Corridor Project is buying back threatened rainforest in Ecuador and will create a vital link between Andean cloud forests and the lowland forests of the Awa Ethnic Reserve. In doing so it will ensure continuity of forest between the three largest reserves in western Ecuador.

These forests are in grave danger from the constant threat of logging, mining and farming. As a habitat, they are home to an incredible range of animals including jaguars, spectacled bears and many rare birds, but the relentless pace and scale of destruction is edging these animals towards extinction.

Rainforest Rescue has recently joined a partnership with Rainforest Concern (UK) and the Rainforest Information Centre (Australia) to assist with the project.

Since 1994 the project has made dramatic progress in buying land to build the corridor and in providing alternative income for the local communities - helping them to move out of destructive subsistence slash and burn farming and into sustainable alternatives. Biological corridors are essential to maintain migration of animal and plant species from one area to another and to ensure healthy population levels.

Rainforest Concern and partners have recently completed the final link of almost 30,000 acres for the northern phase of the corridor. This is a significant achievement in international conservation and the focus is now on the southern phase of the corridor. This phase covers the widest range of habitats with altitudes stretching from 1,000m to 3,500m.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:36 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 282 friends have supported 1,645,396.1 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 51,872.8 square feet.
You have supported: (33,409.3)
Your 282 friends have supported: (18,463.5)

American Prairie habitat supported: 31,878.5 square feet.
You have supported: (9,106.1)
Your 282 friends have supported: (22,772.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,561,644.8 square feet.
You have supported: (157,960.4)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,403,684.4)
[/color][/size]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:38 pm
It's almost Second Advent now.

I'm feeling very cosy in here, with the Wildclickers, lighting candles and listening to family stories.

Thanks, everyone!

http://www.daisbach.de/bildarchiv/bild-des-monats/advent.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
and a bit late, but nonetheless ... hamburger sent me this for the season

advent fun
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 07:17 pm
and

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40131&highlight=
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 07:17 pm
All well and good ehBeth - but, you already know the hamburger is an american thingy........

I like the calender - the 4th (if clicked on) is from heaven.!!!

Viel Danke fur alles. Bussie!!!!!

Back for the second time after the pipping!!

Really good site and thanks for the recipe!! That's a good recipe for friendship.............
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 07:18 pm
are you callin' my dad an Ammie? Shocked
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 07:34 pm
Nooooo Noooooo (tiny purse and furrow)

Ihr Vater ist kein Amerikaner. Nur eine lockere Verweisung zum Sandwich. !!!!!

!!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
http://www.holidays.net/adventcalendar/nuholday.gif
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm