Third Curtain.... Rain Forest Wild-Clickers, Unite! 3 Clicks

Matrix500

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
I received this message from Corrie (temper) earlier today, but wasn't able to spend the time to post it here at the time. So, in case you hadn't heard already...

This message from Anita's son:

Mom is going home today!!! Let everyone know.

Stuart
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:44 pm
That's great news.!!!!! Thanks Matrix.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:12 pm
Isn't it great, danon???!!! I wish I'd seen the e-mail earlier...I'd been wondering if it was going to happen or not. I'm so happy for Anita and her family that they've been given this opportunity, especially this time of year.

Hey, where's the little boy with the dog? or the train? or you and the other guy? or just you??? All I've been seeing in place of your avatar the past few days is a box with a red X in it...Or, is THAT the new you??? Inquiring minds want to know... :wink:
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:01 pm
Chuckling -

After the site came back up from it's 'maintenance' session - I tried to change avatars.
I lost the 'little boy and his dog' as well as all the others I tried. Nothing worked.
I figured I would wait and see if it happened to anyone else - and sure enough, it's starting to happen to other people.

So, don't change your avatar until this thing is fixed!!!!!!!

I have one that you would like - as soon as the system is fixed. It has a story behind it too - a good story. It's a photo of my g-g-grandparents.

He, young Billy Lee, at ten years old, was a newby in Dallas, Georgia. He was walking along the sidewalk where several girls about his age were playing house in one of their front yards. He stopped and after watching for a few minutes offered to build a house for them to play in. They very excitedly said yes - and he gathered some lumber and propped up a small enclosure that the girls all started raving about. One of the girls said something about the structure that didn't agree with young Billy Lee - so he tore the entire house down. All the girls started to scream and cry except for Francis Elizabeth - who kept quiet. The other girls all ran away and left Billy and Francis alone. Billy asked Francis why shy didn't cry and run away when he destroyed the 'house'. She said to him that she thought since he built the house he could tear it down. He looked at her and said - "You and I are going to be married some day."
The year after this happened, the Civil War started. Young Billy finally was accepted in the Confederate ranks the last year of the conflict when he turned fifteen. After the end of the Northern Aggression conflict - young Billy returned home and married Francis Elizabeth. They eventually moved to NE Texas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:21 pm
Another great tale, danon!
Thanks for posting the news about Anita B, matrix.
I really enjoy getting emails from Stuart - he is soooooooo Anita's boy. Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:43 pm
Dannon, what a wonderful story. I have always loved family stories and even family pictures. Yours has the added attraction of a wonderful, "How They Met" story.

Clicked.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:44 pm
danon...

My grandfather used to tell me stories like the one you posted. I miss hearing him telling them. Thank for sharing yours.

ehBeth...
No kidding about Stuart. He's everything Anita always said he was and more...'course with a mom like Anita, whadya expect? They're both really lucky (and so are their friends!).

Hi, Diane...! Very Happy
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:23 am
I always thought that was a good story. My Mom - still living - heard it directly from Francis Elizabeth. So, it's second hand - but accurate. Another cousin told me that her great-aunt told her <how's this for a loose tale?> that after the Civil War was over my g-g-grampa remained with the group of Cavalry he had served with and supposedly got into some trouble with the law. That was supposed to be the reason he moved to Texas. I don't know about the last story, but it could have happened. There were many soldiers who resorted to unlawful activities after the war ended.

Clicked.........................
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
Hello everybody, and thank you matrix for your breadcrumbs leading to this new rainforest site.
Ebeth, I didn't get a group posting either, so Yay, Rah,Rah Matrix! Also finally reading all seven pages of posts and catching up on everybody's news, sad and happy alike.
What a nice bunch you all are......
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:24 am
Danon, what a neat story!

All who sent news and e- mails regarding Anita ~ Thanks.

Matrix, please tell Anita we are sooooooooo looking forward to seeing her
posts again!

Good day to all you terrific wildclickers!!

clicked
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:40 am
Danon -- thanks for the story about your grandparents... Billy Lee was so young to go into the service, wasn't he? Wonderful logic of Frances E's... if you build it, you can tear it down. <sigh>

Good news about AnitaB. I didn't know her from abuzz, but I hope to see her here.

Meanwhile... I was thinking that more people might "Click" if they realized how easy it was. I'm going to put this link on the first post -- even if you just want to be a wild clicker, you can get to the rainforest webpage and be in and out in three clicks and help without having to login. This is the link... http://rainforest.care2.com/

Quick Rainforest Click Link
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:50 pm
Piffka wrote:

Quote:
Meanwhile... I was thinking that more people might "Click" if they realized how easy it was. I'm going to put this link on the first post -- even if you just want to be a wild clicker, you can get to the rainforest webpage and be in and out in three clicks and help without having to login. This is the link...

Hi, Piffka...

If you give them this link instead, it will still count for our clicking team - the other one will count for the rainforest, but it won't count towards the team total.

http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
Hi, pwayfarer...!!!

I'd been wondering where you'd gone to and thought until I saw you post on the old thread that maybe you were off wayfaring again. I'm glad that you found us, again! Very Happy
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:56 pm
danon...

Have you ever considered having your mom record (verbal or written) some of your family stories so that they can be handed down to future generations? I'd always wished when I was older that someone had had my grandfather do that.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
Stradee...

Will do. Last I heard, Anita was feeling pretty good...of course getting out of the hospital after being poked and prodded there for a month and a half will do that! Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
Great stories, danon! I wouldn't doubt that second tale for a minute. Former Confederates getting into trouble with the law, following the War, was so common an occurrence we seldom give it a second thought. The War was the major reason for the career of Jesse James and his gang, for example. All of these people, except Jesse himeslf (he was too young), were Confederate Army veterans. When the influx of Carpetbaggers came into Missouri during the Reconstruction phase, the War was just sort of continued. Some of the best known badmen of the old West came West only after the War (Doc Holliday, Clay Allison et al.) and found that their former Yankee foes were all wearing stars on their vests ("Wild Bill" Hickok, the older Earp brothers et al.). Those tin stars made awful tempting targets for men who'd never gotten over Appomatox.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 04:23 pm
G'day kids!

aktbird57 - You and your 282 friends have supported 1,642,563.1 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 51,545.0 square feet.
You have supported: (33,362.5)
Your 282 friends have supported: (18,182.5)

American Prairie habitat supported: 31,878.5 square feet.
You have supported: (9,106.1)
Your 282 friends have supported: (22,772.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,559,139.6 square feet.
You have supported: (157,913.6)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,401,226.0)
[/color][/size]
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
Thanks for the stats Fly-goil and Matrix news of Anita Smile

There is not so good news regarding the Brazilian rainforest though.

U.S. state of New Jersey has been destroyed this year and work on a new highway is mainly to blame, environmental group Friends of the Earth (news - web sites) and the government said on Wednesday.

The preliminary figures, based on satellite images, alarmed environmentalists because they suggest that Amazon destruction has surpassed its second-highest level reached in 2002-2003.

The data is based on a satellite system which has been monitoring Amazon deforestation on a test basis. The government's yearly figures, released in March, are based on data from a different satellite system.

The images indicated that from 8,920 square miles to 9,420 square miles, or an area bigger than New Jersey, was cut down this year, said Joao Paulo Capobianco, the government's secretary of biodiversity and forests.

"That number could be bigger or smaller, or the same, we will know in March," Capobianco told Reuters. But he said these figures and other indications made it clear there was no decline in deforestation this year.

"Either we have stabilized the rate or there is a small increase," he said.

If confirmed, the total figure for this year's deforestation will be above the 2002-2003 level of 9,170 square miles, said Roberto Smeraldi, head of Friends of the Earth in Brazil.

The figure was especially worrying because it showed that for the first time in history Amazon deforestation rose despite a slowdown in agriculture during the year, he said.

A record level was set in the mid-1990s in a year marked by an exceptional incidence of fires.

Small farmers have been major culprits in the trend as they hack away at Amazon jungle to expand their fields.

The data showed a big jump in deforestation along a road running through the heart of the Amazon that the government has said it wants to pave.

"The big reason for this (destruction) is the BR-163 road," Smeraldi said. "The government knew about this; it was warned. What is surprising is that they are not even talking about their anti-deforestation plans."

In the region of the road, deforestation soared by more than five times, Smeraldi said. Settlers have moved in even before the government started paving it.

Environmentalists have warned that roads, dams and pipeline projects through the Amazon -- home to up to 30 percent of the planet's animal and plant species -- represent the biggest threat to the forest because they open up access to large-scale development and settlement.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041123/i/r3712084692.jpg
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 07:50 am
Aggghhh, Stradee,
Sometimes it hurts to hear the truth. This is one of the times.

However, do you see along the road - the tiny, narrow strips of tree cover that are left like thin belts across the clearcutting? THAT'S WHAT WE ARE CLICKING FOR!!!!!!!!!! Those tiny, narrow strips of trees left systematically along the cut areas. It's that small hope that makes the photo............

Merry Andrew,
Very interesting - You are absolutely correct - but have only touched the tip of the iceberg of the history of that era. The old '40's western movies were hughly responsible for portraying a biased view of the times - ie., the only actual real-life gunfight in the streets in American history was in Springfield, MO and involved "Wild Bill" and another person (who lost). The dime-mag tabloids picked it up and the myth spread like wildfire. The mags also perpetuated the violence of the Native Americans - which in real life rarely happened and then only when provoked. The true story I like is of the family in a wagon train having to stop in Wyoming due to illness of the parents - local Indians tried to help, but both adults died, leaving 5 children. The Indians took the children to St Louis, MO returning them back to their family. Also, the Native Americans primarily traded with the settlers as they wheeled across the prairies and helped them with directions. They also were laborers for the Union Pacific railroad as it connected the future nations shores. Those tiny things that the sensationalist dime magazines omitted.

Here's clicking for a tiny strip of rainforest.!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
Hi all. Cricked in.
0 Replies