What Makes People NOT believe In God? (Atheists Come!)

neologist

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 06:54 pm
Welcome to the forum, dragonman. Any particular reason why you dug up this old dead horse?

It died because it involves proving a negative. If you stick around, and I hope you will, you will learn how to present your opinions in a more logical and understandable way. This will be a valuable skill for you later in life.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:04 pm
At a very early age I noticed that there was something wrong with the people attracted to organized religion. I noticed that they stand around and lie to each other. I noticed that they said one thing and did another. Little kids notice a lot of things and ask a lot of questions that no one wants to answer. You are told to shut up a lot. I don't know if it is important to believe anything. I am here, and believing or not believing doesn't change anything.

One day someone took me to a Buddhist meeting. I walked in, heard the chanting and I added my voice. Now I have somewhere to go and be.

Simple. Life is simple.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The fact there ain't any makes it a no-brainer.

Have faith my son.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:18 pm
solipsister wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
The fact there ain't any makes it a no-brainer.

Have faith my son.

Daddy! Where yer been the last 62 1/2 years?
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
I am a deist.. the God I believe in is not like the one most Christians and other religions believe in. I don't regard my God as 'holy'. My God doesn't desire praise because It has everything. My God lives through me and I live through It. We experience creating through each other. I feel no need to pray to this God because I exist in It and It exists through me. Therefore we experience the All in each other. It does not interfere with my life, nor judge my choices. Only re-creates through us.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:05 am
neologist wrote:
Welcome to the forum, dragonman. Any particular reason why you dug up this old dead horse?

It died because it involves proving a negative. If you stick around, and I hope you will, you will learn how to present your opinions in a more logical and understandable way. This will be a valuable skill for you later in life.

And maybe if you're lucky you'll also learn how to deal with pompous, self-important people who give unsolicited advice.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 10:11 am
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:

And maybe if you're lucky you'll also learn how to deal with pompous, self-important people who give unsolicited advice.
For sure Exclamation
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 01:06 pm
Sglass wrote:
At a very early age I noticed that there was something wrong with the people attracted to organized religion. I noticed that they stand around and lie to each other. I noticed that they said one thing and did another. Little kids notice a lot of things and ask a lot of questions that no one wants to answer. You are told to shut up a lot. I don't know if it is important to believe anything. I am here, and believing or not believing doesn't change anything.

One day someone took me to a Buddhist meeting. I walked in, heard the chanting and I added my voice. Now I have somewhere to go and be.

Simple. Life is simple.

I see.

So, based on your experience ---

Buddhism is not an organized religion.

Buddhists do not lie.

Buddhists do not say one thing and do another.

Buddhists have the answers to all questions one may ask.

What one believes actually makes no difference.

hmmmmm, I was going to ask if you actually believed all that you wrote, but I guess that doesn't make any difference either. Laughing

What rot.

You do appear to lead the life of the simple, I'll give you that.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 03:06 pm
I realize these questions are not directed at me, but I'll answer them since I feel that an honest sharing of experience like the one sglass offers is worth some backing up. Not that he/she neccesarily needs it.

Quote:

No, it's not. For one, there is no god involved.

Quote:
Buddhists do not lie.

Not by virtue of being buddhists. By virtue of being human, sure some do. But to be christian is to support a lie, and that makes a christian a liar, no matter how honest he desires to be.

Quote:

Some do I guess. But again, not by virtue of being buddhists.

Quote:

No, but buddhism teaches you how to find your own answers.

Quote:

Not to anyone else but yourself. Of course, the minute you start imposing your beliefs it will matter, but that is about what you do, not what you believe.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 03:59 pm
real life wrote:
Sglass wrote:

Simple. Life is simple.

I see.

Buddhists do not lie.

hmmmmm, I was going to ask if you actually believed all that you wrote, but I guess that doesn't make any difference either. Laughing

What rot.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn Arrow The Way you came in

Razz As Seaglass takes her surfboard heads to the North Shore looking for the Big One.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:41 pm
neologist wrote:

Whatever gave you the idea that it is necessary to prove a negative in order for Atheists to not believe in God. Do you require proof to not believe in these gods neo?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:45 pm
snood wrote:

Was that offered as an example?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:46 pm
good day to you too, mesquite.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:49 pm
Sglass wrote:
real life wrote:
Sglass wrote:

Simple. Life is simple.

I see.

Buddhists do not lie.

What rot.

Razz As Seaglass takes her surfboard heads to the North Shore looking for the Big One.

"Paradise", huh? You include Waianae in that description?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:49 pm
snood wrote:
Sglass wrote:
real life wrote:
Sglass wrote:

Simple. Life is simple.

I see.

Buddhists do not lie.

What rot.

"Paradise", huh? You include Waianae in that description?

Waianae? No. Paradise Lost maybe. I am haole from the Big Island.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:04 pm
I lived up the hill from Tripler AMC for a little better than 3 years. Hawaii was very interesting in a lot of ways.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:48 pm
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:

Whatever gave you the idea that it is necessary to prove a negative in order for Atheists to not believe in God. Do you require proof to not believe in these gods neo?
Good point.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 10:47 pm
You be an atheist too then?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 11:17 pm
Didn't click the link. Was I supposed to?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 11:25 pm
Why do people not believe in God? What a question. It's obviously because they can't find any convincing reason or desire to do so. This is especially the case with the literalist conception of God as a very big man who loves to be adored and who will burn people forever simply for not believing in or adoring him. Do you think Einstein would, if he had the power, burn people who did not believe that E=mc2?
0 Replies