Thanks. It was quite an experience.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:44 pm
Maria looks evil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 05:27 am
The recent Houston flooding had one unexpected consequence for my daughter. She did not flood, but rescues went on, on her street, at both ends. Toads were scrambling for high ground and sought properties like hers. Now things are dry, but they refuse to go home. Her husband makes it seem there are hundreds in the yard. He asked if I know how to get rid of them. I had no advice to give.
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Collect all of their legs and open a frog legs stand? It worked for the French, right?!
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:54 am
@Ragman,
I recall a rather tasteless cartoon from years ago (perhaps by Gahan Wilson in Playboy) of a bunch of frogs in a rehab center. They were all in wheelchairs because they had no legs.
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 12:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
Ummm...not a fan myself of the idea of eating them. Tastes just like chicken...etc. I am pulling Edgar's leg, of course .
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 02:43 pm
@Ragman,
Well, sure. Nobody I could name has eaten a toad's legs.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:42 pm
The NHC moved Maria from a Cat 2 to a Cat 4 and to a Cat 5 in a span of 8 hours.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm really anxious for this storm season to end.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 03:13 am
Same here. Still on vacation in Portugal but heading home on Saturday and feeling a bit vulnerable with Sarasota somewhat in the sites of this next storm. I feel sincere sympathy and empathy for you, your family and all Houstonians.

Furthermore, the last time I checked 2 days ago, Jose was still circling around in the Atlantic heading in the general direction of northeast USA aimed at DelMarVa or midAtlantic .
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 10:44 am
@oralloy,
The government's radar site for Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/lite/NCR/JUA_loop.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:12 am
Haven't heard from our friends in Guadaloupe since Maria blasted through Sad
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 03:57 pm
Just got a news alert:

70,000 in Puerto Rico urged to evacuate immediately as dam is in 'imminent' danger of failure

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/09/22/at-least-6-dead-in-puerto-rico-due-to-hurricane-maria-officials-say/
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 12:28 am
Coming Soon:
........................... NATE ...........................
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 05:22 am
@realjohnboy,
Just curious. They reuse hurricane names?
Hurricane Nate (2005)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 05:51 am
@tsarstepan,
They only retire the names of the more notorious storms.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2017 06:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks. Makes sense.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 10:28 am
@tsarstepan,
The way I understand it is that a hurricane name gets retired is only if there is loss of lives; thus paying respect for the dead and the family's survivors. Otherwise names get recycled.

edit: In the case of 2005 Hurricane Nate (or combined Nate/Maria), the loss of lives was indirect through rip currents up the coast perhaps when it was not even a hurricane (perhaps when it was. separate stem Maria). "The hurricane caused no structural damage while tropical, although it generated rip currents in combination with other storms that killed one person off the New Jersey coast. The other fatality was in Norway when the rain from the remnant storm plus remnant of then-storm remand of Maria caused a mudslide. "
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:14 pm
The entire island of Ireland is on Red Alert as Hurricane Ophelia makes landfall in a couple of hours from now (it's 6am BST as I type this). All schools throughout the country are shut and my own work-place does 'not recommend' travelling to work. Ophelia was the strongest hurricane ever seen 'this far east' in the Atlantic. While it's form has been ripped apart by the jet stream, it is still a powerful storm (the strongest in my lifetime) with occasional hurricane-strength winds expected.

roger

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:26 pm
@lmur,
My goodness. I didn't even know hurricanes made it to Ireland.