Hurricane Season - 2017 Version

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 02:03 pm
@Ragman,
Our thoughts are with Edgar. This is not looking good.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 02:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
They originally thought we would have a tropical storm with lots of rain. It is becoming a very major hurricane. What reassures me, somewhat, is that the eye will come in some place near Corpus Christi. Hopefully we can avoid tornadoes and really high winds here. One certainty is that nothing can be certain in all of this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 02:38 pm
On the other hand, the wind should be significant here.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL092017_wind_probs_34_F120+png/152721.png
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 03:15 pm
Traces of Texas
44 mins ·
Y'all ...Please share this. Hurricane Harvey is NOT to be taken lightly. It is rapidly intensifying and Port Aransas and the middle Texas coast appear to be right in its path. Here is the latest from the NWS:

Harvey continues into rapid intensification…pressure down to 979mb and winds sustained to 85mph.

100pm forecast now brings strong cat 3 (125mph sustained) into the middle TX coast…cat 4 is possible.

This is a life threatening hurricane and rainfall situation.

Preparations to protect life and property MUST be rushed to completion.

Numerous evacuation orders are now in effect….follow orders immediately….persons in the hurricane warning area need to heed recommendations by local officials.

***Storm Surge warning extended to High Island***

New Evacuation Orders:

West end Galveston Island (voluntary evacuation order in place)

Mandatory Evac: City of Portland

Will get new impacts out after the 400pm NHC advisory package…biggest change at 100pm:

Raise storm surge values from Sargent to Jamaica Beach: 5-8 ft

Here is the latest rainfall prediction:

http://i.imgur.com/LmSwxMP.png
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 04:23 pm
A tropical storm with lots of rain did this to Houston. We may get as much rain this time.
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21083093_2018340878396426_828325828075169062_o.png?oh=a867516b3ab3220d432985358c65ea9e&oe=5A291290
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 09:28 pm
Our friend, wmwcjr, is also in the storm's path.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:11 am
Traces of Texas
16 mins ·
This morning's view of Harvey. Goodness gracious. I'm reading some crazy things, like some parts of Colorado County might see 50 inches of rain over the next 4-5 days. San Antonio might see winds of 40+ mph for a 5-7 hour period. It appears that Corpus Christi/Port Aransas may be the place it makes landfall. What is especially worrisome is that there is a stalled cold front here in Texas that is going to make Harvey deviate north, along the coast. It will linger for several days, pumping in more rainfall the whole time. It is "only" a category 2 right now but it will be at least a category 3 when it makes landfall. Pray for Texas, y'all, especially for the folks along the coast.
http://i.imgur.com/64cvpBp.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:12 am
http://i.imgur.com/64cvpBp.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:30 am
@edgarblythe,
that looks ugly-bugly

I hope everyone stays as safe as they can. mac11 had connections in the CC area.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:53 am
The wind, the rain. I've faced hurricanes in S Florida but not with such a potential for flooding. I'm worried for you edgar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 09:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
thinking of you edgarB
ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 10:44 pm
@ehBeth,
just heard from edgar's wife

Quote:
We are fine this is his wife we have no net and I'm.on my phone so from just rains but tomorrow supposed to be worse. Check here in case we don't get net back
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:05 am

mac11 and pdiddie both marked themselves safe on FB...
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 04:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
I may not be the only confused person. I think it was early yesterday or more likely Friday that the Texas governor advised it could be a good time to evacuate, meaning soon, or words to that effect. Quickly, lots of local and vocal authorities said essentially, no no no no, we know more, people should stay. Sorry, no links. I also read that over 6 million people live in Houston, so a giant evacuation would be problematic if done with late timing.. and I am guessing Friday was relatively late re the news.
Just now I'm reading people are refusing to leave their homes -

Yahoo News
Despite a mandatory evacuation order--and against the advice of friends and family--Juan Rodriguez chose to ride out the Category 4 hurricane at home in Victoria, Texas

This may all make sense, and I'm sure there are a huge number of reasons, including timing, re what to do. And, since I don't know where Victoria, Texas is relative to the whole mess, I've no idea about Juan Rodriguez's choice.

I've sympathy for all, with strong wishes for our a2kers, past or present, and their families.

Hmmm. Fema still hasn't a head boss. Of course, I get they have very able people in the ranks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 09:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Kinda concerned about Edgar. Has anyone heard from him since Friday?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:44 am
@DrewDad,
Edgar's wife responded to me on Saturday and Sunday on FB by way of her phone.

Earlier today on FB, bflynet posted a map of the flooded out roads in Edgar's neighbourhood as well as a message from the Tomball Tx. mayor.

We're hoping they are safe and dryish and being frugal with their batteries.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:26 am
@ehBeth,
I found their address (from something he sent me once) and tried to look it up relative to what is going on in Tomball, but I couldn't find it on a map. I won't post that address, naturally. Besides EdgarB and his wife, I hope doggy is ok too..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:18 pm
@roger,
I remember reading about a backflow (or something like that, days ago by now, and I could be confused) then nearly immediately was foll0wed by the major surging..
Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Tomball is up on the northern edge of Harris County. Not as close to the gulf as a large portion of Houston (which is also Harris County). Then again, I have no right idea where the reservoirs are and I've read that many are overflowing.

Here's hoping that they are okay.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:50 pm
@Sturgis,
I did scour the map and there are apparent highs and lows in the land there in Tomball.
Assuming/hoping they are ok, even being ok, moved or remaining there, must be a hell of a challenge.

I think I read this will go on into the weekend..
0 Replies