SUPREME COURT TO TAKE UP GERRYMANDERING

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:51 am
In Wisconsin a case (Gill v Whitford) will be herd by the USSC to evaluate the constitutionality of the present redistricting methodology v a new standard method which hs received the support of both GOP's and Dems (but for different reasons) as well as such govt superstars as Ahhnaalt Schwarzenegger , Bill Clinton, Geo W Bush and others.

The case arguments will be heard in the fall.
I wonder what our cross section of realities has to offer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 485 • Replies: 6

revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:55 am
@farmerman,
Well, here is keeping my fingers crossed. Surprisingly, I find myself respecting Roberts court more than I thought I would. Not to say, he has turned all the liberal or anything, but, not as partisan as Scalia was.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 09:01 am
@revelette1,
yep, Im sure the extremes on both sides will be screaming foul.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 09:16 am
@farmerman,
Heres ADAM LIPTAK's piece from June 15 about "When is Gerrymandering Unconstitutional"?
WISCONSIN's GERRYMANDERING CONSIDERED UNCONSTITUTIONAL .

Other states , like Pa, are looking at this case. (I must interject that, hving gone to the narrowest part of the Pa seventh Congressional district,(located in th King of Prusia Shopping center, it was found that, at this point, that the nearby Starbucks coffee shop was actuaally wider than the congressional district.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 09:18 am
@farmerman,
It is interesting that , it seems that nobody is traipsing their cases "Up" through the various state Imperial court systems.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 10:32 am
I'm more afraid that they'll say it's up to the states or that the feds don't have a voice in the matter and set a precedent from the bench.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 10:39 am
@hightor,
I think its more a matter of how the case in chief is worded and what the actual method for districting is proposed Several states are (like Md and Calif are actually districted to fvor Dems)
0 Replies