What do you do when you ground your teen from a trip and the trip is cancelled?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 08:24 pm
@Real Music,
Did you know the mother and child?
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 08:25 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Maybe it was a well scripted con. Did the mother pay for her stuff?
The mother had finished her transaction with the cashier before leaving the store.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 08:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Because otherwise his assumptions were meaningless?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 08:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Did you know the mother and child?
No I never seen them before. They appear to be just random customers.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 02:51 am
I read some place, when kids scream for not getting something in a public place, one should just ignore them and continue to say NO.
It is a question of two will powers and an audience.
roger

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 03:07 am
@saab,
What if the parents want to eat in the same restaurant a second time?
centrox

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 03:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, re your belt story, I used to be a 'no hitting' parent, but more and more these days, I find myself saying 'I would have got a slap for that' when I see the way some modern kids are.
saab

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:15 am
@roger,
Good question - think the psychologist was not thinking about restaurants.

Otherwise I think it is a good idea. The more you loose your temper, the more powerful the kid feels and screams even more. That´s how I was brought up and how I did it - even long before the article. Really had no problems any place.

From our daughter was rather small, and we were celebrating or having guests and I used the very best china and chrystal glasses, she got it too.
I think it is important to learn the difference between a pick nick, fun food and plastic cups and fine china and an elegant meal.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:19 am
@centrox,
My father was totally against hitting a child. He explained why and why not when I had done something wrong.
My mother gave one slap and that was it.
As a was a rather impatient child I prefered the slap as I very fast could continue playing or what ever. Explanaition were first appriciated when I was a bit older - say school age.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 06:03 am
Pet peeve!!!

I pay to eat in restaurants, and if you don't at least ask your child to stop screaming, I will.

I have to report that I don't give a **** what anyone thinks.

I've only done it twice in my life, but it felt good.

When our kids were small, one of us would take our child outside if they were being loud, and explain why they'd better put a cork in it. Little children who are too young for reason force a trip home. Right there. When our son was navigating his terrible twos, the probability of our family remaining at a restaurant was a 2 of 3.

When our son became a bit older, knew what he was doing, and defiantly continued, he got a spanking. Discreetly.

We didn't return inside until the matter was resolved.

I have no patience for adults who force me to listen to their children's tantrums. If the tantrum happens before I order, I have just walked out. When wait staff leads me to a table close to small active children, I ask for another location.

A tantrum unabated does bring out the worst in me. I don't understand why a parent doesn't at least say "everyone here doesn't want to hear your noise. We'll have to step outside until you're not screaming."

(Exhale)

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 06:18 am
Since my children all moved away, I miss the sound of children. I like to eat in family restaurants just to listen to the families around me. I grew up in a family with 12 children and I guess that's why I like it noisy.
saab

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 06:55 am
@Lash,
I agree that a tantrum in restaurants or say church or museum is out of place.
In a store, which you will leave very fast anyway and the kid makes a tatrum for not getting its will is something else.
Problems within our four walls - yes.
Travelling, having guests, visiting - none at all.
In Sweden I hardly ever see a child screaming and disbehaving.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 07:05 am
@edgarblythe,
I grew up as a single child and I enjoy the happy noise of children.
It has happened that a screaming kid looks at me to see my reaction. I look back - how I look I do not know - but all of a sudden the kid just stop screaming and look ashamed.
Once a sneaky boy stuck his tongue at made nasty grimasses to me. As his mother looked the other way I did the same. His reaction was worth a good laugh.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 07:10 am
@saab,
I used to buy the kids noisy toys. These days I buy my dog noisy toys.
Lash

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 07:26 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

I grew up as a single child and I enjoy the happy noise of children.
It has happened that a screaming kid looks at me to see my reaction. I look back - how I look I do not know - but all of a sudden the kid just stop screaming and look ashamed.
Once a sneaky boy stuck his tongue at made nasty grimasses to me. As his mother looked the other way I did the same. His reaction was worth a good laugh.

You're awesome! I've done the same!

I'll smile and play peekaboo with well-behaved children--& do a Clint Eastwood squint and teeth-baring to naughty ones.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 07:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Once upon a time I took to of my aunts plus daughter in her summer buggy to a museum. The two aunts were allowed in - my daughter not. Maybe I could not handle her in a buggy and would drive into a picture or she would climb up the wall.
OK I stayed in the entrance and waited - in comes a man and woman with a dog.
They were allowed in. Guess a dog does not pee up the wall.
I got furious and started to play with my daughter in the revolving door.
Around and around......noone of the ladies working said a word. Guess they knew why.....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:59 am
@Real Music,
There's also the possibility the child is autistic or has ADHD or a number of other options
chirchri

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 07:58 pm
By giving so much detail in your question, I think your goal is accomplished.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 08:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
There's also the possibility the child is autistic or has ADHD or a number of other options
This happened over ten years ago. On the surface, It didn't appear that this child had any of those issues. I am not a doctor. I am not a psychiatrist. Anything is possible.
0 Replies