snood

Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:01 am
That work for you, Abid?
0 Replies

A-glow

Tue 27 Feb, 2007 02:31 pm
I thank you for that, snood. It is THE WORD.

From the Sermon Christ preached on the mountain:
Matthew 7-- also recorded by Luke

Judging Others
(Luke 6.37, 38, 41, 42)
Matthew 7 "Do not judge others, so that God will not judge you,
2 for God will judge you in the same way you judge others, and he will apply to you the same rules you apply to others.
3 Why, then, do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log in your own eye?
4 How dare you say to your brother, 'Please, let me take that speck out of your eye,' when you have a log in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
6"Do not give what is holy to dogs--they will only turn and attack you. Do not throw your pearls in front of pigs--they will only trample them underfoot.

Ask, Seek, Knock
(Luke 11.9-13)
7"Ask, and you will receive; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.
8 For everyone who asks will receive, and anyone who seeks will find, and the door will be opened to those who knock.
9 Would any of you who are fathers give your son a stone when he asks for bread?
10 Or would you give him a snake when he asks for a fish?
11 As bad as you are, you know how to give good things to your children. How much more, then, will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
12"Do for others what you want them to do for you: this is the meaning of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:27 am
A-glow wrote:
I thank you for that, snood. It is THE WORD.

From the Sermon Christ preached on the mountain:
Matthew 7-- also recorded by Luke

Judging Others
(Luke 6.37, 38, 41, 42)
Matthew 7 "Do not judge others, so that God will not judge you,
2 for God will judge you in the same way you judge others, and he will apply to you the same rules you apply to others.
3 Why, then, do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log in your own eye?
4 How dare you say to your brother, 'Please, let me take that speck out of your eye,' when you have a log in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
6"Do not give what is holy to dogs--they will only turn and attack you. Do not throw your pearls in front of pigs--they will only trample them underfoot.

Ask, Seek, Knock
(Luke 11.9-13)
7"Ask, and you will receive; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.
8 For everyone who asks will receive, and anyone who seeks will find, and the door will be opened to those who knock.
9 Would any of you who are fathers give your son a stone when he asks for bread?
10 Or would you give him a snake when he asks for a fish?
11 As bad as you are, you know how to give good things to your children. How much more, then, will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
12"Do for others what you want them to do for you: this is the meaning of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets.
Leaving aside all the seeking knocking and getting the wrong stuff, surely this is just common sense and decency. There is nothing divine about it. It's just newspaper personal relationships column for bronze age folk. I'm not saying it doesnt have value, just that there is nothing "other worldly" or divine revelation about it.
0 Replies

A-glow

Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:47 am
It gives us a clue from where common sense and decency originated,
Yea, Steve?
0 Replies

A-glow

Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
From the Proberbs

23 Arrogance will bring your downfall, but if you are humble, you will be respected.

24 A thief 's partner is his own worst enemy. He will be punished if he tells the truth in court, and God will curse him if he doesn't.

25 I t is a dangerous thing to be concerned with what others think of you, but it you Trust in the Lord you will be safe.
0 Replies

A-glow

Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:04 am
Proverbs 30

12 There are people who think they are pure when they are as filthy as they can be.
13 There are people who think they are so good--oh, how good they think they are!
14 There are people who take cruel advantage of the poor and needy; that is the way they make their living.
15 A leech has two daughters, and both are named "Give me!"

There are four things that are never satisfied:

16 the world of the dead,
a woman without children,
dry ground that needs rain,
and a fire burning out of control.

17 If you make fun of your father or despise your mother in her old age, you ought to be eaten by vultures or have your eyes picked out by wild ravens.

18 There are four things that are too mysterious for me to understand:

19 an eagle flying in the sky,
a snake moving on a rock,
a ship finding its way over the sea,
and a man and a woman falling in love.

20 This is how an unfaithful wife acts: she commits adultery, takes a bath, and says, "But I haven't done anything wrong!"

21 There are four things that the earth itself cannot tolerate:

22 a slave who becomes a king,
a fool who has all he wants to eat,
23 a hateful woman who gets married,
and a servant woman who takes the place of her mistress.

24 There are four animals in the world that are small, but very, very clever:

25 Ants: they are weak, but they store up their food in the summer.
26 Rock badgers: they are not strong either, but they make their homes among the rocks.
27 Locusts: they have no king, but they move in formation.
28 Lizards: you can hold one in your hand, but you can find them in palaces.

29 There are four things that are impressive to watch as they walk:

30 lions, strongest of all animals and afraid of none;
31 goats, strutting roosters,
and kings in front of their people.

32 If you have been foolish enough to be arrogant and plan evil, stop and think!

33 If you churn milk, you get butter. If you hit someone's nose, it bleeds.

If you stir up anger, you get into trouble.
0 Replies

devriesj

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:33 pm
A-glow, I haven't read this whole thread, but I must say you are one of the gutsiest Christians on a2k. So many times "non-Christians", atheist, agnostics, etc. on a2k want us to justify, talk or reason them into Christianity or defend ourselves. I love that you just speak the truth. I say good for you, and that we are not in the business of convincing anyone. I know what I know and believe what I believe. You're doing a great job of putting it out there without being offensive or argumentative.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:40 pm
Yes,I agree. Such courageous copy & paste is rare these days. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:42 pm
Hang on dev-

Quote:
17 If you make fun of your father or despise your mother in her old age, you ought to be eaten by vultures or have your eyes picked out by wild ravens.

You can't approve of that surely. Plenty of fathers and mothers are entirely deserving of being despised and made fun of. And you want their perfectly sensible and rational children to be eaten by vultures and their eyes picked out by wild ravens.

I would rather be despised and made fun of than either of those.

A bit subjective innit?
0 Replies

devriesj

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:44 pm
Ah, another dissenter! Why all the 'arguing'? What do you believe, or not believe, Eorl?

Most people wouldn't dare put Bible quotes on a2k for fear of ridicule, that was my kudos to A-glow.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:44 pm
A-glow wrote:
Proverbs 30

21 There are four things that the earth itself cannot tolerate:

22 a slave who becomes a king,
a fool who has all he wants to eat,
23 a hateful woman who gets married,
and a servant woman who takes the place of her mistress.

You are suggesting this can't be offensive to anyone?
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:51 pm
devriesj wrote:
Ah, another dissenter! Why all the 'arguing'? What do you believe, or not believe, Eorl?

Most people wouldn't dare put Bible quotes on a2k for fear of ridicule, that was my kudos to A-glow.

I believe it's time for all the religious nonsense to stop. It's 2007 already. (see my tag). Imagine how much better the world could be without it! (See John Lennon)
0 Replies

devriesj

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:51 pm
Spendi-, I don't want to argue with you or anyone else here.

As far as that verse is concerned, the book of Proverbs, for that matter is actually a collection of wise sayings or proverbs (obviously) gathered by King Solomon.
Also, there was/is much to be said, especially back then about respecting parents. I (mind you, without the advantage of knowing the Hebrew language) would say that it was meant more metaphorical than literal. There are other places in the Bible that make the same type of references.
0 Replies

devriesj

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:53 pm
Eorl wrote:
devriesj wrote:

I believe it's time for all the religious nonsense to stop. It's 2007 already. (see my tag). Imagine how much better the world could be without it! (See John Lennon)

Whatever floats your boat, Eorl. I would much rather be friendly than argue religion any day.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 07:02 pm
Hey, so would I. It's the Christian way to be friendly, right? But then someone comes along saying "the earth won't tolerate...a slave to become a king" and pretends they are being friendly!?. Religion gives all kinds of offensive ideas the guise of goodness and credibility.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 07:02 pm
I don't consider vultures eating up people and wild ravens pecking their eyes out to be even remotely connected to friendliness.
0 Replies

devriesj

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 07:09 pm
Oh, man! I hate arguing semantics!

(HHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahahahah! That's funny, Spendi-! You consider me to be friendly, do you not?)

I'm not one to "argue" Christianity. You either believe or you don't. I suppose there are as many or more reasons not to believe than to do so.
Again, there is something to be said about the original Hebrew translation and not taking things so literally! There is deeper meaning to "the earth won't tolerate...a slave to become a king".
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 07:23 pm
I agree. Each religion (or individual) determines which bits of which scripture should be taken literally, and which bits have "deeper meanings" depending on what they want to justify.

The KKK surely found that bit useful.
0 Replies

devriesj

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 07:28 pm
Youch! Who dropped you on your head when you were little!
Sorry. I know that's not very Christian, but like I said, I really hate arguing semantics!
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 18 Mar, 2007 08:10 pm
Hehe, no need to apologize. I get a hell-of-a-lot of non-Christian like response from Christians. I would try the patience of those human beings ridiculously lauded as "saints".

The bible and it's use is 100% semantics. To decide to "believe it" is to give yourself permission to decide for yourself what good and evil is, or to let others tell you. It's dangerous self-deception. But as you say...to each, their own.
0 Replies