husker

Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
Welcome to all you new folks - good to have you here.
0 Replies

A-glow

Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:18 am
2 Corinthians 6

14. Do not try to work together as equals with unbelievers, for it cannot be done. How can right and wrong be partners? How can light and darkness live together?
15. How can Christ and the Devil agree? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
16. How can God's temple come to terms with pagan idols? For we are the temple of the living God! As God himself has said,
"I will make my home with my people
and live among them;
I will be their God,
and they shall be my people."
17. And so the Lord says,
"You must leave them
and separate yourselves from them.
Have nothing to do with what is unclean,
and I will accept you.
18. I will be your father,
and you shall be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty."

(below, Jesus explains clean and unclean)
Matthew 15

10: Then Jesus called the crowd unto HIM and said to them, "Listen and understand!
11. It is not what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean; rather, what comes out of it makes you unclean."
12.Then the diciples came to him and said, "Do you know that the Pharasees had their feelings hurt by what you said?"
13. "Every plant which my Father in heaven did not plant will be pulled up." answered Jesus.
14. "Don't worry about them! They are blind leaders of the blind; and when one blind man leads another, both fall into the ditch."
15. Peter spoke up, "Explain this saying to us".
16. Jesus said to them, "you are still no more intelligent than the others.
17. Don't you understand? Anything that goes into your mouth goes into your stomach and then on out of your body.
18. But the things that come out of the mouth come out of the heart, and these are the things that make you unclean.
19. For from your heart come the evil ideas which lead you to kill, commit adultery and do other immoral things: to rob, lie, and slander others.
20. These are the things that make you unclean. But to eat without washing your hands as they say you should-- this does not make you unclean.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 02:06 am
A-glow,

Actually, I love what you post. I, too, am a Christian and love the Lord. I just wanted to jump in here and tell you that your love for Christ shows and the fact that you want to share that will be blessed by God.

The one thing I have learned in my short time on A2K is that if you profess your faith as a Christian in these threads you must be prepared for an onslaught. I wish this were not so. You will find many allies also.

Lean on the Lord's understanding and you will know which posters to ally with. I would be honored to be among them.

Momma Angel Laughing
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
I didn't really attack him so much as of professing his faith, more of his lack of original words.

It's all good and well, saying you're Christian. I have nothing against that. It's just he comes out, spouts a few passages and says nothing. There is no explanation of how he feels about each passage. There is no explanation of what he thinks of each passage. So in my first post, I pointed out there was a second meaning, a nasty second meaning, just to point out that spouting Bible passages out at what seemed like random isn't a good idea.

If your preacher does nothing but spout out random Bible passageways, I feel sorry for you.

When I was in school and mass worship or at least, attendance to mass worship, was compulsory, I used to have this delightful Reverend who was obsessed with death. He didn't spout out random passages. He, and his successor, all invented their own stories and explained them just in case you didn't understand.

You know what the most important thing was? They invented their own stories, which means they gave it some thought and it was evident they put thought into it. After all, it is the thought that counts.

That, it is in my honest opinion, is the meaning of what Jesus said in that quote above, for it is the thought that forms your words.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:27 am
Wolf_Odonnell Wrote:

Quote:
I didn't really attack him so much as of professing his faith, more of his lack of original words.

It's all good and well, saying you're Christian. I have nothing against that. It's just he comes out, spouts a few passages and says nothing. There is no explanation of how he feels about each passage. There is no explanation of what he thinks of each passage. So in my first post, I pointed out there was a second meaning, a nasty second meaning, just to point out that spouting Bible passages out at what seemed like random isn't a good idea.

If your preacher does nothing but spout out random Bible passageways, I feel sorry for you.

When I was in school and mass worship or at least, attendance to mass worship, was compulsory, I used to have this delightful Reverend who was obsessed with death. He didn't spout out random passages. He, and his successor, all invented their own stories and explained them just in case you didn't understand.

You know what the most important thing was? They invented their own stories, which means they gave it some thought and it was evident they put thought into it. After all, it is the thought that counts.

That, it is in my honest opinion, is the meaning of what Jesus said in that quote above, for it is the thought that forms your words.

Wolf, please do not take the comment I made about being prepared for an onslaught as meant to you. It was not meant at any particular poster on this thread.

As a Christian, we believe that the Word of God can stand on its own and should need no explanation. However, I do realize this is rarely the case when speaking with someone that has a differing view of faith and religion.

So, for myself, I could discern from the passages A-Glow posted, what I posted to A-Glow.

But, A-Glow, since Wolf asked and I think it would be instrumental in this thread, perhaps you could expand on how you feel about these passages?

I believe it is important A-Glow, that when someone asks us to explain our faith further, we should do our best to do so. As Wolf stated here, it can be taken differently than you intended it to.

I would love to hear more from you!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

A-glow

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:41 am
Colossians 3:23-25

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people.
24 Remember that the Lord will give you as a reward what he has kept for his people. For Christ is the real Master you serve.
25 And all wrongdoers will be repaid for the wrong things they do, because God judges everyone by the same standard.

Please excuse the fact that I am hardly ever here. I did not mean to be rude and not reply, Momma Angel.
I believe the Word of God (Bible, from Genesis to Revelation) is inspired by God the Father, and says much more than I can say. And it relates to all of us, that it is spiritually discerned- and is not understood by secular intellectuals trying to explain and PROVE it by earthly means.

When I come to post a passage of the Word, it is because it is so real in my heart at the time and what I am currently praying about and studying.

Thank you to all of you who have been interested in replying.
Peace to you this Holy Day season, and Love, which is everything!
0 Replies

mesquite

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
True, true. I'm not really a Christian, but if I were, I would say that the only true words of wisdom would be the original Ten Commandments and pretty much anything Jesus said.

You find wisdom in this?

Quote:
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:34 pm
A-glow,

I understand what you are saying and yes, we should be able to just let the Word of God stand on it's own. But, there are many that don't even believe in God. So, you kind of have to equate it to feeding a baby. You wouldn't feed it steak and potatoes at first, would you?

Sometimes we have to explain what we think about these passages. But, keep them coming!

Mesquite,

I don't think anyone actually worships the Ten Commandments, if that is what you are referring to.
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 04:42 pm
Derevon wrote:
Portal Star,

Are you suggesting that giving a testimony about God's wisdom and quoting from the Bible is to "practice piety before men"?

I don't know what Portal Star would respond, but as for me....

I not only would suggest, I would state that someone who mostly cuts and pastes material from the bible, and then sits back and accepts accolades from others is doing it primarily to make him/herself look pious.

"good job, good job a-glow"
for what? knowing how to google up the bible, highlight and right click? If that's all it takes to get into heaven, sign me up.

For all you know, a-glow could be Doc$, one of our newest members, who is a Satanist, and actually seems quite nice as far as personality.

How about speaking in your own words a-glow?

Better yet, actions speak louder than words.

I'm not one to promote, but for some intelligent discourse, one might want to stop by nancydeans thread.

It's not hard to respect someone, whether you share the same belief or not, when interspersed with quotes there is some real live thought.

just a suggestion.

I almost feel like deleted my comment about stopping off at nancy's, because, honestly, I feel selfish. It's like an oasis on that thread, a place of peace, and I'm afraid having a faction of christians I really don't understand because of their black/white outlook will start mucking about in there will ruin the whole thing.

But, I guess that is where I have to place my trust in God.

If Frank Apsia and Set can honor nancy, I hope you would too.
0 Replies

mesquite

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 05:58 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

I don't think anyone actually worships the Ten Commandments, if that is what you are referring to.

I don't know how you interpreted anything I said as worshiping the ten commandments.

I am puzzled though by your comment that you really like what a-glow posts. Is so, why is it that you associate with us unclean unbelievers?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:45 pm
Mesquite,

I didn't understand why you posted the thing about no graven images. I thought maybe you meant the ten commandments on a courthouse or something. Can you explain what you meant?

I like A-glow's posts because he posts the Word of God. As a Christian, we feel the word of God should stand for itself. But, if you did notice, I did tell A-glow he needs to tell what he means by them. If there is anyone out there reading these posts that has little or no Bible knowledge, they can be hard to grasp. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I was trying to help A-glow and others by asking him to explain things.
0 Replies

mesquite

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:43 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

I didn't understand why you posted the thing about no graven images. I thought maybe you meant the ten commandments on a courthouse or something. Can you explain what you meant?

Wolf had mentioned thinking that the only true words of wisdom in the bible were the Ten Commandments and the words of Jesus. I questioned the 2nd commandment as I think it is far from being a symbol of wisdom.

Momma Angel wrote:
I like A-glow's posts because he posts the Word of God. As a Christian, we feel the word of God should stand for itself. But, if you did notice, I did tell A-glow he needs to tell what he means by them. If there is anyone out there reading these posts that has little or no Bible knowledge, they can be hard to grasp. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I was trying to help A-glow and others by asking him to explain things.

If by hard to grasp you mean they cannot be taken at face value and need to be spun, I understand what you are saying. At face value they are doing what you accuse others of doing to you...looking down or being derogatory. I think it is telling of a person what verses appeal to them.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:51 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Wolf had mentioned thinking that the only true words of wisdom in the bible were the Ten Commandments and the words of Jesus. I questioned the 2nd commandment as I think it is far from being a symbol of wisdom.

Thank you. Now I understand why.

Momma Angel wrote:

If by hard to grasp you mean they cannot be taken at face value and need to be spun, I understand what you are saying. At face value they are doing what you accuse others of doing to you...looking down or being derogatory. I think it is telling of a person what verses appeal to them.

No, that is not what I am saying at all, Mesquite. When I first started reading the Bible, I didn't understand a lot of it. Let's face it, the King James Version isn't written in modern day language that one can just read and understand just like that.
0 Replies

A-glow

Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
Good evening a2k'ers,

Smiling, I tell you, I am a curly haired girl, not a 'he'.

I read the Bible some time ago, 'ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you'. KJV
Those are Words spoken by Jesus.
I find them to be so true and comforting, and I have learned, all who seek HIM find Him readily- not because of anything I do or do not do.
Jesus command to us was to spread the gospel.

I appreciate this Spirituality and Religion forum, interpreting it as a place where all members can share... either just by posting a belief, opinion, writing, debate, question, answer, a thank you, or a disagreement.
Whatever your feelings, they are mostly respected by all--- certainly they should be.
I should say, I do not DEBATE or ARGUE the Bible. That Word teaches me that a believer should not 'strive'. The TRUTH has been striven for already and it is finished.
there is an old hymn that states how I feel and is worded:

There is Grace - for every need,
Free to all who believe...
Oh, this Grace, now receive-
Full forgiveness all will win....
Yes, there's Grace in the Lord's perfect love.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:56 pm
A-Glow,

Sorry I didn't realize you were a she. Welcome! Yes, much wisdom you have posted there.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
HI A-Glow! Nice to see you here!
0 Replies

husker

Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:57 pm
Some people think of Christmas
As sleigh rides in the cold
A tree that glistens of tinsel
And decorations of silver and gold.

As stockings dressed in red
A crackling glowing fireplace
And a warm and cozy bed.

As faces filled with glee
Sharing stories, fun and laughter
And gathering 'round the tree.

As gifts wrapped up in blue
Writing letters to their loved ones
And Christmas caroling too.

As snow falling on the ground
The hustle and bustle of shoppers
And the joy that's spread around.

As Christ on Christmas day
And families joined together
With heads bowed down to pray.

As the Lord who dwells above
Who sent His son to die for us
And gave the gift of love.

Author/Written By:
Marilyn Ferguson
©1993
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
Thank you for that Husker!
0 Replies

A-glow

Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:06 pm
It is well with my soul

When peace like a river
Attended my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll-
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul!

My sin- [Oh the bliss of this glorious thought]
My sin, not in part but the whole-
Is nailed to the cross
And I bear it no more!
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord
OH, my soul!

And Lord, Haste the day
When my faith shall be sight
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll-
The trumpet shall sound
And the Lord shall descend
Even so, it is well with my soul!

By Horatio Spafford 1873
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
A-Glow,

Thank you so much for posting that! I needed it today!
0 Replies