We're just friends, but he introduced me to his parents

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 07:30 am
Please, I need help.
I had a not-so serious thing with a great guy a few months back and we managed to stay friends since. He stays in touch and usually reaches out to keep me up to date on his life events. He has made no moves to suggest that he wants to hook-up again (to be fair, I was the one to suggest being friends).
He and I both live in a foreign city and recently his parents visited from home. I told him to enjoy his time with family and never expected anything. But he asked if I wanted to have dinner with his mom and dad last night and I couldn't say no. I felt like I had already upset him so much lately, so I went.
Needless to say, it was weird, but also kind of cool. We got along so great, lots of laughs, but it was confusing for everyone involved. His dad was looking at me all funny like who is this girl? and his mom was just a tad too curious about me.
Anyways, after I got home, he texted thanks for coming and I said thanks for inviting me, I had fun. Today he sent a photo of all of us taken last night at the restaurant.
So, what is the deal here, guys? Any ideas? Is it normal for a guy to introduce a girl who is just a friend to his parents? Am I reading too much into it?

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 07:48 am
@Mspeppermintea,
Yes, you're reading too much into it. Substitute female friend for male and you'll have your answer.
Mspeppermintea

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 08:16 am
@jespah,
Thanks jespah,

I guess I was just hoping it meant a lot more Razz
ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 08:45 am
@Mspeppermintea,
It was nice of your friend to invite you out for a meal with his parents.

Friends do that kind of thing.

My parents met many of my friends (male and female) while I was at university and then starting my career. They invited several of them who were studying /working away from home to spend holidays in our home. It's a nice friendly thing to do.

I hope you enjoyed the meal and that your friendship continues. I'm still friends with some men and women from those days close to 40 years later. Some of them are still in touch with my father - one is his emergency contact back in our hometown.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 08:57 am
@Mspeppermintea,
On an unrelated topic...

If you have feelings for this guy, why not tell him? If you are hoping that he likes you as more than a friend, you can take initiative. There are no guarantees in life, but pining away for a friend that you wish were more than a friend doesn't make much sense.

Rather than "hoping" you should be talking.

Mspeppermintea

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 07:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks. That seems like the wise thing to do, max!
Yes, I ended things because I felt the relationship we had was not serious enough. Naturally I expected to lose contact after that, but he does make an effort to stay in touch all the time, so I know for sure he values me more than a hook-up, but maybe more as a friend, which is always better.
But after meeting his folks, and learning more about his childhood and where he comes from, I realized maybe I want more....
0 Replies

Mspeppermintea

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 07:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you, ehBeth!
I do have many friends who are close with my parents and I also spend time with some of my friends' parents as well.
I guess I was just hoping this may be different, since we started out as hooking up and then a casual hookup situation ensued. I don't think we thought much of each other until we became friends. At least I did.
I now see the side of him only his close people see and I realize he is an outstanding, genuinely nice guy!
0 Replies