Belief in G-d versus evolution?

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 11:52 am
@ehBeth,
The Fundamentalist crowds weigh in with a lot more clout thn their numbers would assume.

ID is slowly , ever so slowly, moving away from its Creationist roots. Ive read several ID organizational "self published" scientific style papers and , while they seem to buy into all the "givens" of science
they still demand that all these complex living things MUST have been the product of a designer , they dont seem to wish to open their mind beyond that stipulation. Science can accept the possibility of a designer but, since theres no way of proving or disproving that belief, they move over to do the work where the data is target- rich.
kk4mds

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 12:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
The State of Palestine was created in 1948. Unfortunately, politics and the bigotry of the Arabs prevented it from happening. Since then, the Palestinians have been nothing more than political pawns in the fight to destroy Israel and drive the Jews into the sea.
kk4mds

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 12:04 pm
@rosborne979,
That is the problem. Not belief in G-d, but adherence to certain beliefs taught by some religions.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 12:05 pm
@ekename,
Judaism.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 10:34 am
@rosborne979,
You are correct of course. But why then do so many religious people find their beliefs at odds with science?
>Because of the peculiar beliefs and dogma of their particular religions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:02 pm
@kk4mds,
kk4mds wrote:
At some point people should understand that there is no conflict between belief in G-d and acceptance of evolution as the valid scientific theory that it is.

I technically agree, but that isn't saying much. Granted, the findings of evolution do not conflict with the existence of gods. Together with the findings of cosmology and historical geology, however, they do conflict with the existence of gods that have been productively employed anytime in the past 13 billion years. Everything important in the history of the universe is accounted for by the laws of nature. And in my experience, most theists scoff when one points out to them that they are worshiping bums.
Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:33 pm
@Thomas,
"Worshiping bums," that's pretty hilarious, Thomas, kudos to you.
centrox

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
"Worshiping bums," that's pretty hilarious

Especially in Britain, where your bum is your ass.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:42 pm
@kk4mds,
kk4mds wrote:

The State of Palestine was created in 1948. Unfortunately, politics and the bigotry of the Arabs prevented it from happening. Since then, the Palestinians have been nothing more than political pawns in the fight to destroy Israel and drive the Jews into the sea.

There's hope but for the intransigence of the politics and bigotry of powerful players on both sides of the conflict.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:44 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Especially in Britain, where your bum is your ass.

Isn't that one of the meanings for every dialect of English?
0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Wed 31 May, 2017 10:25 am
@rosborne979,
That is my point. It is specific religious beliefs, which have nothing to do with actually believing in G-d, that are the problem. For example, you cannot believe that Genesis is an accurate history book and is scientifically accurate, as some do, and accept evolution, the big bang, etc. as valid.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 May, 2017 11:56 am
@kk4mds,
kk4mds wrote:

That is my point. It is specific religious beliefs, which have nothing to do with actually believing in G-d, that are the problem. For example, you cannot believe that Genesis is an accurate history book and is scientifically accurate, as some do, and accept evolution, the big bang, etc. as valid.

Does a person's vision of God come first, or is that vision a result of their religion?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 04:38 am
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18835593_10155285325423764_8622054611470336638_n.jpg?oh=94f12d755b76a35133cd5e8f26b5148d&oe=59E0CD05
0 Replies

Saberta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:35 am
Science dismisses teleology (aka debunks the concept of purpose 'per se'). Evolution is not meant to be a synonym of "betterment", it's just selection of the organism which can be most adapted at a certain time in a certain place (which does not mean it's better in absolute terms of body performance, knowledge, etc.)
It's not that different from The Sims game, if you know what I mean.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The Fundamentalist crowds weigh in with a lot more clout thn their numbers would assume.

Christian Fundamentalists? other religious groups?

They're all pretty much irrelevant in Canada.
camlok

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 11:58 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Christian Fundamentalists? other religious groups?

They're all pretty much irrelevant in Canada.

You don't get out much, do you?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 11:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

You would know. You are a fundamentalist at heart, farmerman. You can see it in your "science".
0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 08:16 pm
@rosborne979,
Does a person's vision of God come first, or is that vision a result of their religion?

I cannot say. In my religion we do not try do define G-d as having any particular attributes, except as being eternal, all powerful, and incorporeal. Additionally, we are encourage to use science to study His universe.

Maimonides, in Guide for the Perplexed, reminds us of our tradition that creation in Genesis was written as it was because we, as mere humans, could not understand what really occurred. Now, here we are thousands of years later and we are just beginning to scratch the surface of how creation happened.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2022 03:35 am
@kk4mds,
I know this is and old post..but what a load of nonsense the starting statement is.

There is conflict with the Christian scriptures for one.You clearly have not read the book of Genesis?

The evolution and gravity theories are just “by product” theories of individuals who practice their religion in UNAWARENESS.

All they can do is HOPE that these theories are true like any other religion.

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2022 02:25 pm
@Jasper10,
Science (i.e. scientific method) is good at explaining the world as it exists today. However, people's biases negatively affect how "science" explains the world of the past.