How do you forget someone?

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 08:21 pm
I've done everything and still I think about him. I've gotten two jobs so I work 60 to 80 hours a week, I join activities, etc., I purposely make myself so busy that I'm too tired to think about anything and just want to sleep...yet any time I get a little bit of down time, I'm always thinking about him.

I've even tried to go on dates with new people...and still that didn't work. Usually, in order for me to forget someone before that I had a really hard time forgetting, I've had to find someone else to preoccupy my thoughts with.

He said he needs some time right now and that's fine. We have all the time in the world. I just spent most of my time with him and I'm not used to him not being around anymore. We spent most of our days together when we were together and it was amazing...we're on different pages in life so that's why it can't work out right now.

He's come back before after some time, but I hate the waiting game and that's all I can do. Plus, no one else has peaked my interest the way he has so I'd likely take him back if he comes around again.

What do you do when nothing absolutely works to forget someone? I've done everything I can to get my mind off him...I just feel like I'm not meant to find someone else, that I'm supposed to do my own thing right now and that he'll come back when he does...I dunno if that's giving myself false hope or what. He has come back before after some time...which is why I believe he will again.

And plus, I'm not in a very good situation to give it my all to dating, either, but we enjoy each other's company as friends. We can't be just friends but he's not ready to commit, either.

How do you forget someone when you've tried everything, time, work, even dating other people and still nothing works? What does that mean?

I often wonder if he thinks about me as much as I think about him because we did spend a lot of time together...how does he do it? How does he just appear to not think about me? He doesn't tell me. How do people act like they're not thinking about someone they used to spend a lot of time with and they can not contact a person they used to contact all the time just like that?

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 09:33 pm
@puzzling,
have you tried drinking? Just kidding. I don't think there is a "meant to" anything. That would imply you being part of someone else's master plan. If you can't stop thinking about him it probably means just what you said: you haven't found another to interest you yet. Give it time, you'll meet someone new. As far as waiting for him, you'd be putting off life for a slim hope. If he doesn't want to be with you, why would you want him around? Do you want to be his "fall back girl"? or his last choice? Have more respect for yourself and find someone who thinks of you as his first choice. Good luck.
puzzling

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 10:08 pm
@TomTomBinks,
We're not really in a proper situation to be dating but we can be friends. The thing is, it's hard being friends when we know there's always something more there lingering. He's not in a position to be the man I hope for him to be. He doesn't have his **** together at all...still drinks and parties...that's another reason it's not working out. He's not all about working and saving money for the future which I am doing. Come a time when later on he matures out of that drinking/party phase, in the 1% chance it happens, that's the time I'm hoping for.

Well, he's sort of my fall back plan, too. If I don't find anyone else I would go back to him if he comes back. So in a way, we are using each other...I think he let me go because he knows he's not good for me right now when he's not serious about life. He doesn't want to commit to anything. If he picked someone else over me, that would be different...but he's not even committing to anyone else, either.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 10:17 pm
@puzzling,
Please consider just being by yourself - aren't you interesting? What is this desperation to have a guy right there, very attentive, or quick finding someone else? Consider giving the effort a rest and get to know yourself and your interests better..
vikorr

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 11:07 pm
@puzzling,
Quote:
I've done everything and still I think about him...What do you do when nothing absolutely works to forget someone? I've done everything I can to get my mind off him.
No, you haven't. Thinking about someone like you are doing, is a habit. All habits can be broken (usually by replacing one habit with another, but there are other ways). If you don't want to think about someone, but can't seem to stop:

- find something else (or some things else) that you enjoy thinking about
- promise yourself that each time you find yourself thinking about him, you will instead start thinking about (that other thing you enjoy thinking about)
- if you keep at it, eventually the habit of 'thinking about him' gets broken

That is a little different from 'throwing yourself into jobs' etc. Do so helps, and should be done in addition to the above, but not replace the above - because in the end, your mind can wonder in those things too.

The next step is concentrating on what you enjoy about all the different things in life (particularly the opposite sex). Not because you want to hop in bed with them (nothing wrong with that, but it's not the point), but because, consciously noting things you really like in others, and thinking about why you like them...makes you realise how many interesting people there are out there for you.

Quote:
I just feel like I'm not meant to find someone else, that I'm supposed to do my own thing right now and that he'll come back when he does...I dunno if that's giving myself false hope or what. He has come back before after some time...which is why I believe he will again.
This is one of the reasons why you can't get your mind off him.

- We can't be just friends but he's not ready to commit, either. He likes that you're happy to be a bonk buddy. But he doesn't want you as a girlfriend
- He said he needs some time right now and that's fine. He doesn't want you clinging to him. He wants to play the field. You, as relationship, he just doesn't want
- we're on different pages in life so that's why it can't work out right now. He wants it all on his terms, and right now, he doesn't want to be with you
-He's come back before after some time, He got horny or there was no better option at that time

Many, many women, who are in love, but are treated like this, find the other person (and/or the sex) 'amazing'. There is something about being treated 'mean to keep them keen' that catches many women.

I recommend you read 'The Art of Seduction' by Robert Greene. Contrary to many Amazon reviews (by those who read it from a point of view of 'how to seduce someone'), it is instead a very articulate catalogue of human weaknesses in the realm of seduction, and the horrendous results of peoples infatuation with the one that treated them with such contempt. It's a rather creepy book (he calls those that fall for such treatment 'victims'), but after reading it:

- you will identify weakness (in this area) in yourself; and more importantly
- now knowing you have such weaknesses, you will want to avoid men who treat you in such a way (one would hope); and
- you will likely never look at being 'treated mean' the same again.

Hope it helps.
puzzling

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 11:56 pm
@vikorr,
We haven't had sex yet and I give him kudos for waiting and not taking advantage of the situation. We're waiting for it to mean something and not just have a fling. Plus, I told him I'd be into it more if it was someone I actually cared about with. If he wanted to treat it as just a booty call then I wouldn't be into it much so I'm glad he respects me there. This whole time we hung out we never hooked up, but the temptation was too strong and that's why we couldn't be just friends. We've only made out a few times so I definitely know he's turned on, but we're waiting for that.

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, he was really the only joy in my life...other than that all I do is work and hang out with friends doing the same things every week...nothing exciting to look forward to, lol.
puzzling

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 11:58 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Not just any guy for me, but one I really want who enjoys my time as much as I enjoy him. I can't really be into someone just because any guy gives me attention. I have to like him, too...and this guy was the first guy in a long time who I really like. I do things on my own. All I do is work right now and hang out with friends here and there...not much to do when I work 60 to 80 hours. I'm too tired to do anything after. I purposely took the second job to keep myself preoccupied from thinking about him so now I'm so tired to really enjoy anything else and I just sit at home when I'm not at work.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 01:41 am
@puzzling,
Well, you certainly have yourself confused (and everyone else here). You love him, but you tell him differently. He say he wants you, but say he doesn't (this is the message, rather than what you've literally said). You want to forget him, but you don't want to.

If your title is actually your question, then you perhaps have the information you need by now.
0 Replies

chirchri

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 07:39 pm
@puzzling,
It depends on the time.
0 Replies

BarbroIsaksson

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 07:34 am
if you truly loved the person you will never forget them.

To heal all you can do is try to wait it out until you are capable of finding someone else.
0 Replies

Medusax

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 04:22 pm
@puzzling,
I simply concentrated on myself. In the end, I came to the realization that the only person I could trust to be there for me was me. So, I never put much stock in anyone else again.
0 Replies

demilovato

Reply Mon 29 May, 2017 03:42 am
@puzzling,
I am the same as in the past.I tell myself the reality and just move on. To do or eat something you like.And to travel with your friends.Wish!
0 Replies

johnperes

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 05:43 am
@puzzling,
Forgetting someone whom we loved more than ourselves is not so easy, but also not impossible too. Try to keep yourself busy in work, hangout with friends and go for outing. Just enjoy your every single moment.
Beelost

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 07:14 am
I think we should never forget, it's our experience, our life. But we should be able to let it go, preserving happy moments for the greatest values in our lives
puzzling

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 04:40 pm
@Beelost,
I told him I don't wanna forget him because he's my very first real Valentine. That's a special moment for me where I spent years searching for a Valentine, so it's hard to forget whenever I think about that day and my birthday that I spent with him. He was the only one who ever hung out with me for real on those holidays.
0 Replies

puzzling

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 04:41 pm
@johnperes,
I hate it because he sometimes comes back. I don't know what he wants but he knows we can't be just friends like we had hoped, but he doesn't want to put in the efforts to make this relationship work. I've told him everything. Great things don't just fall on his lap. He has to work for it if he really wants it.
0 Replies