How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:05 am
Lola:-

Wait till you see my latest spoonerism.It's not on yet but it soon will be.Maybe tomorrow.It's a corker.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:16 am
I've just learned of Cav's death. I'll need some time to find out about that.......I'm upset. I didn't know he was sick.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:18 am
I appreciate your post. I was just joking with you, as usual. But I'm shocked now to learn about Cav. very sad. He was a fun guy. And young too.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 10:22 am
sp, old chum

I envisage you now...anorak, notepad, careful data entry on each train passing over the little midland creek. As kids, we used to put our fishing poles aside and crawl under the brook trestle so as to be scared shitless by the mass and inertia and thunder of locomotives. It was almost like they tore right through us. My older brother once suggested, he was speaking from the vantage of elder-brother wisdom which is perhaps the ultimate in wisdom-achievement, that bernie had missed his train. It seemed to me that any destination which had but a single train scheduled was probably not much worth visiting. I never had a model train. And that's it for my train familiarity.

As to life-lengthening strategies...a brief and soulful nod of the head this morning to Hunter S., and to a member here who I've just learned passed away on sunday. I don't know. When is death not, at first glance, premature? But as consciousness is all there is in this or any other possible universe, it seems apparent that death hasn't any meaning or reality at all. Quality of life does have meaning, friendships have meaning, and our love of liberty and the life of the mind has meaning, and that's why I long to put bush's balls in a vice along with all his totalitarian precursors. But I agree he should be dressed in a silly hat beforehand.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 10:56 am
a silly hat for Bush would do very nicely at this moment.

spendius? Where'd you go?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:54 am

I went for a walk in the woods.

But I'm back.Life goes on.

It's odd don't you think how contact,any sort of contact,creates a sense of fellowship.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:14 am
MG:-

I always had a fascination with transportation.The various vehicles always photograph well.It was the prime symbol of Ancient Egypt:"The Way".It possibly cost them their civilisation.They spent such a great fraction of their scarce resources on smoothing the way to the afterlife that they had little left for other things.I waded through Ancient Evenings,and it is a tough wade,the sort I go for,to find out.
The only pictorial "art" I ever attempted always had as it's subject transportation.Lichtenstein's jet plane,the Cutty Sark,the great opening scene of Streetcar,Apollo lift offs,the long-distance train rolling through the rain and the tears on the letters I write,the coaches in Tom Jones,Donald Campbell going tits-up on Coniston,Ben Johnson in the Asian arc-lights,the tour bus floating up to the stadium in Renaldo and Clara to One More Cup of Coffee,Marco Polo,Vasca de Gama,Columbus,Concorde,three jocks hurling their horses at the last fence in the Gold Cup and Mr Tambourine Man and the women shouting "faster,faster,harder,harder," and Mahler's Song of the Earth bringing it all back home to it's destination.

The faces at the windows of passing ships.Where to?Where from?It's a mystery.The whole Faustian bargain is powered by elation and shrouded in tragedy.All you can do is do what you must.If you do it well that's all anybody can ask.

Regards

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:36 am
hi spendius, are you still there this morning?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:47 am

Yep.I'm like a bad penny.

What gives?

When you gonna get your lovely head around some of my recent posts?

Who owns the copyright to our words?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:02 am
oh, there you are. You were so quiet, I thought you'd left.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:07 am
Sorry I've been preoccupied. It is true that contact, especially contact with mutual affinity breeds fellowship. I learned the hard way that internet relationships are as real as those that start in person. The interesting part is that the selection process that takes place on the internet is better. It spans the world. Sometimes I think about how weird it is to be so close with people from all over the world. People I would never have met before the internet. Technology is a good thing, I think.......as long as it doesn't get into the hands of the bad guys. And even that is a matter of perspective.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:22 am
I'll sit down later this afternoon and get my head around some of your posts. Pretty soon, I have to get dressed because I have some things I have to do this morning. And I don't know who owns the copyright to our posts. Good question.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:48 am
Aw Lola:-

What do you have to go getting dressed for.Where do you start?Make our day.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:57 am
I start with a shower, to which I go now. See you tomorrow, Spendi
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 10:10 am

And I had you pegged for a hot soapy-scented tub soaker.

I had a theory once about showerers.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:55 pm
ok, let's hear the theory. I have a preference for showers, when I have enough time.........but if I'm in a hurry, I take a bath.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:46 am
spendius wrote:

I always had a fascination with transportation.The various vehicles always photograph well.It was the prime symbol of Ancient Egypt:"The Way".It possibly cost them their civilisation.They spent such a great fraction of their scarce resources on smoothing the way to the afterlife that they had little left for other things.I waded through Ancient Evenings,and it is a tough wade,the sort I go for,to find out.
The only pictorial "art" I ever attempted always had as it's subject transportation.Lichtenstein's jet plane,the Cutty Sark,the great opening scene of Streetcar,Apollo lift offs,the long-distance train rolling through the rain and the tears on the letters I write,the coaches in Tom Jones,Donald Campbell going tits-up on Coniston,Ben Johnson in the Asian arc-lights,the tour bus floating up to the stadium in Renaldo and Clara to One More Cup of Coffee,Marco Polo,Vasca de Gama,Columbus,Concorde,three jocks hurling their horses at the last fence in the Gold Cup and Mr Tambourine Man and the women shouting "faster,faster,harder,harder," and Mahler's Song of the Earth bringing it all back home to it's destination.

The faces at the windows of passing ships.Where to?Where from?It's a mystery.The whole Faustian bargain is powered by elation and shrouded in tragedy.All you can do is do what you must.If you do it well that's all anybody can ask.

Regards

spendius.

All that transport carousing through your dreams and there you are, in the midlands (exclamation mark followed by poignant question mark) I have a friend, a brilliant and original writer who stopped (some transport problem) and who I am constantly reminded of when reading your woids who (am I sounding like an owl?) had a wonderfully pragmatic strategy for closing down the rollicking house parties he and wife frequently hosted...he'd replace the Mad Dogs and Englishmen or Let It Bleed or Blonde on Blonde or whatever with the soundtrack from Death in Venice. Ten minutes and the thing was cleanly done.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:51 am

Well-you can't think straight in showers like you can in a nice,hot bath for 3/4 hr.So it struck me that people who take showers don't care for thinking.Perhaps that might be due to them being unable to think without getting depressed.If I was a trick-cyclist I would ask the punters which they preferred.Lying on the sofa idly watching a cricket match is great for thinking but DIY and other frenetic activities seem to me to be popular simply to inhibit it.And it sure does show.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:59 am
I can think just fine in my 30 minute showers. The reason I prefer showers is that a bath gets cold after 30 minutes and I like to think a lot.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:00 am

I would never try to close down a "rollicking" anything under any circumstances.I might pass out.
And at a "rollicking" do I'd have AC/DC.Visions of Johanna is enough to limpify an orgy.

Why no compliments for my "jam" thing or my Spoonerism lecture on Trivia.I thought you were a good judge and a magnanimous cove to boot.I follow you and Lola around the maze.
0 Replies