How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 12:37 pm
Ah...the sentimental. In my home, the sentimental has full legal standing and is permitted at all times and circumstances.

This is a favorite of mine. Relevant too, as playing ball out in a cow pasture meant avoiding not just the cowshit, but the thistles.

Against the rubber tongues of cows and the hoeing hands of men
Thistles spike the summer air
Or crackle open under a blue-black pressure.

Every one a revengeful burst
Of resurrection, a grasped fistful
Of splintered weapons and Icelandic frost thrust up

From the underground stain of a decayed Viking.
They are like pale hair and the gutturals of dialects.
Every one manages a plume of blood.

Then they grow grey, like men.
Mown down, it is a feud. Their sons appear,
Stiff with weapons, fighting back over the same ground.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:42 pm
This evening, I was with some friends. They were in Tanzania over the holidays. And the photos they had taken were amazing. The great expanse of nature, the authority of the lion and the elephant and the submission of the antelope, so much of nature. And it was lovely. I'm very happy they took the excellent photos for me to see. Because I can't think why I would want to leave lovely Manhattan with it's straight, hard lines for all that curvature.

Quote:
It is at its limit

All the better for the sifting process, my dear. The cream rises to the top, dontzaknow.

This Summer, I'm going to send them to Switzerland to bring back more serene depictions of mountains and meadowlands on which I can marvel. But as you have so wisely discerned, I am a dedicated Faustian Tantalus.

Quote:
You know it balances on your head
Just like a mattress balances
On a bottle of wine
Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat

And as we decided, we should mention the CPD folk daily.......maybe they can contemplate the above for their poorly earned tax payer's pound.

good night dear splendorus.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 07:27 am
Lovely Lola:-

Have a lovely,lovely wickend.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:32 am
Lola:-

The way I have been given to understand it Freud's main claim to fame is the perception that neurosis is intimately connected with the exigencies of civilisation.That civilisation and sickness go together.And that psychoanalysis was an attempt to do something about it using privileged people as guinea pigs.A sort of exposure of the fault line.

If that is right why doesn't philosophy concern itself with how to have the civilisation without the sickness.So far as I am aware the CPD are silent on the matter and I put that down to them having wives and daughters and living in the community instead of the traditional character of philosophers as celibate and monastic.
The RCC's insistence on priestly celibacy,which follows a pattern that pre-dates the Church,is not just a whim.Marx said something like-a man must live and how he gets his living will influence his whole way of life.So if the CPD lives like local government officials won't it think like them?And do we need a specially funded and housed CPD to think at that level.

I saw an art-work during the Superbowl of a human face draughted almost entirely in straight lines.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:53 am
Would it be intellectually possible to make an analogy between a group of secluded philosophers in a place like Cambridge speaking an esoteric language that nobody else understands and a troupe of monkeys.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:05 am
["spendius"]
Quote:

The way I have been given to understand it Freud's main claim to fame is the perception that neurosis is intimately connected with the exigencies of civilisation.That civilisation and sickness go together.And that psychoanalysis was an attempt to do something about it using privileged people as guinea pigs.A sort of exposure of the fault line.

Freud thought this way initially but contemporary Freudians understand that Neurotic and relatively Healthy adaptations to conflicts are alike in everyway except in how well they work to get the job done. ( a healthy method on a scale from good to excellent -- no adaptation is perfect)

Example of neurotic adaptation (called compromise formations in the biz): Conflicting wishes, leading to a phobia, for instance, fear of enclosed spaces, adaptation -- avoid elevators and other small rooms, including trains and planes, maybe subway tunnels.

Ex. of a more healthy compromise formation: Conflict -- working as a journalist, or a aviator, or a writer, etc. another might be trapeze artist or baker, street cleaner. Any thing that is gratifying enough of most of the person's conflicting wishes, doesn't cause too much anxiety, not too much depression, is not destructive to self or others and doesn't come into too much conflict with the environment (both other people and nature.) You can see, I hope, how this would depend on the aptitude, talents and early life experiences of the person in question.

The neurotic compromise formation above of phobia is too restrictive, and limits the person's ability to gratify healthy adaptations, usually doesn't manage anxiety or depression well enough and usually makes life difficult for loved ones to qualify as healthy. The neurotic adjustment is also dependent on constitutional factors and early childhood experiences.

Notice I said healthy as opposed to normal. Normal is, as you have been given to believe, usually leaning toward the neurotic.

Quote:
And that psychoanalysis was an attempt to do something about it using privileged people as guinea pigs.A sort of exposure of the fault line

Nothing is known for certain, science is evolving. We're all guinea pigs of a sort......and in Freud's time there was less known, so people were more piglike in their certainty of medical treatments. And yes, all the guinea pigs were wealthy. Psychoanalysis is not cheap. Supply and demand, you know.

Quote:
The RCC's insistence on priestly celibacy,which follows a pattern that pre-dates the Church,is not just a whim.

Yes, it's not a whim. That which is not subject to observation and necessary adjustment (change) is dogma. Predating the church is certainly pre-enlightenment. Surely we've learned a thing or two since then. I would hate to think philosophers had to live like priests. How would they know anything to philosophize about? Besides it's too much to ask of any civil servant, or any person, for that matter. Monasticism is outdated, just as is the church. We could talk all day for weeks about how the church is a compromise formation that works poorly in comparison to playing racquetball or sleeping late on a Sunday morning, for instance.

Quote:
I saw an art-work during the Superbowl of a human face draughted almost entirely in straight lines.

This is going a bit far, I think. I prefer my straight lines in cities and certain parts of the male anatomy.

Hope you're doing well. I'm still working. Deadline next Tuesday.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:52 am
mmmmmnnnuunnmmm!!!!!

!You said you'd never compromise
With the mystery tramp--- you know the rest and the "deeeeeaaal" at the end.
1)Are contempory Fs the = of F?
2)Isn't neurosis=sickness?
3)Does "relatively healthy=manageable.
4)Am I not perfectly adapted then?
5)I avoid planes due to feeling daft when on one.
6)Early life experience-
Amoralism,aetheism,apolitical,alingual,astonished
7)Can't I have NO anxiety,NOdepression,etc then?
8)Agreed on sleeping late but not RB.(conflict).
9)Think here philosophers ought to be celibate.Think that Ps can't be expected to be taken seriously if they get into such a ridiculous position as is required when not.It would take a very crass sort of man not to LOL on seeing a movie of himself not being celibate.Esp if he had forgotten to take his socks off.And Ps not serious are no Ps at all.See "pram in the hall "quote from ?
Connolly maybe or CS Lewis.Not too much to ask at all.Has certain benefits esp in dreams.Was Orbison married?
10)When philosophers were priests they had plenty to go at from confessional data when collated and passed up the command chain.Mucho plenty.They could get a mite concerned with incident otherwise.

Roll on deadline and good luck with it.I hope you become famous.Then I can really brag in the pub.

What about the cig machine metaphor?

Do you know Mrs Clinton?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:15 am
We call S morning lie-ins "festering".
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 03:16 pm
No. I don't know Mrs. Clinton personally. She's my Senator, but that's the extent of it.

And festering is ffffffuuuunnnn.........
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:13 am
spendius wrote:
Would it be intellectually possible to make an analogy between a group of secluded philosophers in a place like Cambridge speaking an esoteric language that nobody else understands and a troupe of monkeys.

For the English, most anything is intellectually possible.

However, as a monkey expert, I regret to inform you that one would have to be deep in one's cups to forge the connection you posit. In the first place, a troupe of monkeys is most likely to spend their evenings up in the leafy canopy, rather than upon a hard wooden cot purchased inexpensively on Ebay from a declining Calvanist congregation in the Midlands. This would make a troupe of monkeys more comparable to a riot of poets.

Secondly, as to language, have you ever attended a conference of mathematicians? Not only does no one else in the room, after a minute or two of warm-up anecdotes, follow the speaker's drift, often the speaker himself is quite lost to the meanings he meant. Engineers can be somewhat better, but only a mathematician would, as we say, count on that.

For a proper comparison to a cluck of Cambridgians, one must turn quite away from the primates, and instead, focus on the behaviors and speech acts of henhouse chickens.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 07:27 pm
I suggest a crowd of fellas at the pub quiz.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 09:27 am

I'm going to be patient and just endure until this deadly deadline becomes a part of the become and the becoming resumes it's destiny.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:18 am
thank you luv.......you have more patience than I. Deadline tomorrow.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:23 am

I know.Its been seared on my brain for longer than I care to think.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:25 am
phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:09 am

Is it over?

How long can a post be.'Cos I have a real long one just for you.It was inspired by your remark about not being able to find much of relevance in a movie.
I think you will enjoy it.Especially if you keep in mind the compositional aspects of a piece of writing.It is a skill not much required usually.It isn't meant for skimming.The sentences need wieghing.The subject and the richness and the wondering just what on earth is spendius getting at the little jelly-brained madman.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 08:42 am
<laughing>

I'm ready, Mr. Madman. Send it on and I'll read. but do, please point out which remark I made about the movie........my memory is so full of glorious experiences and past examples of creative genius that I don't seem to remember this post. Do you know how to use the quotation function? Or would you deign to stoop so low Spendiluv?

I only have so much time to spend-with-us hanging around on these threads, searching, searching for the comment I may or may not have made in the past. So could you help me out just a little with that?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 08:51 am

Ignoramus thread.Feb 11.P21.Post1173968.

That's the inspiration.I don't need much.

You are right about "deigning" and "stooping".It's too easy.Too repetitive.Too too tiresome altogether.
Too technical as well.

But it will be tomorrow on that long one.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:10 am
ok

how are you anyway?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:11 am
uh-oh........there's a huge fire a few blocks over. sirens everywhere.

OK, it's already better. But there's lots of smoke in the air.
0 Replies