What do I do?

Swjmo3

Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 08:30 am
My boyfriend and I have been together for almost three years. I have three children and he has one. I was married and divorced twice, and he was married once, engaged once and in a long term relationship once.
We moved in together a year after being together.
We both know that this is it for us, we finally found our happiness with each other. And we are happy. Little disagreements here and there but nothing more you're everyday BS.
Here's my issue:
My dad gave me my grandmother's engagement ring and wedding band and I had diamonds from my mother's mother, which were given to her by my grandfather on their 2nd anniversary. My bf and I had a ring made (in April 2016) out of these jewels. I gave it to him and said "When you're ready, you give it to me."
I still haven't gotten it. He believes marriage is a jinx. He's happy the way things are and doesn't want it to change. I told him that I don't want a legal marriage (been there - done that twice!). I'd like to have a commitment ceremony, saying our vows to each other in the presence of a few good friends and family members. I'd like to legally change my last name to his, too (I hate my last name). I want to be his "wife", and for him to be my "husband".
He agreed that a ceremony like that would be nice.
This ring is so much more than "an engagement" ring...it symbolizes the love and adoration that my two sets of grandparents had for each other; the kind of love and adoration I have for my bf! To me, giving me the ring says "I love you. I adore you. I am committed to you. I want to call you my wife and give you my name."

Two birthdays and mother's days have gone by...and all of the holidays, anniversary's and family vacations in between.
Every time I think it's going to happen, I get disappointed worse than the time before.

I haven't spoken to him about it in about five months, because I don't want him to feel pressured. That's the last reason I'd want him to do it. I just hurt silently...but I feel that it's taking a toll on the relationship.
I feel like I'm pulling away because of this.
I feel like we're not as connected as we used to be.

I feel that he doesn't want to give me the ring because he doesn't feel that way about me, even though he says he does.

What do I do?????

jespah

Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 08:37 am
@Swjmo3,
Talk to him about scheduling your ceremony, etc. Get the practical stuff on the table. And see what he says. Does he want to run screaming for the hills? Or is he grateful you're taking the bull by the horns and making the bigger decisions here?

It does not have to be him asking you.
0 Replies

johnperes

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 05:13 am
@Swjmo3,
Do you know why such problems arise? This because you think more and act less. So must talk to him, without any further delay so that you may know what actually he wants. Maybe he has planned something different for you. All things get clear when you discuss with him a and hope get feel tension free life thereafter and enjoy a happy relationship with him.
0 Replies