very confused

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:48 pm
my problem was way complicated i am in the university and had a group of friends(one is my best friend),i fall for one of them over 2 years ago and still have feelings for him,then i discovered that he was into my best friend,my friend told me that she was only friends with him,but she admitted that at one point had feelings for him,but she told me it was over .this was about 2 years ago ,she graduated from the universityrecently.he was very hurt from my best friend but she asked me to help patches things up,so i tried and thats when he started winking and stuff at me.lets call him x. attends college away from his country .in the summer we started writing emails but not so often because he so busy with his famliy and friends .then we chatted and everyhting seemed nice for a while ,then once he asked about my best friend and i never found him online.later i discovered he blocked me.but i tried to act normal with him when i saw him in college.until i found him online again(but i was blocked)so i sent an email telling him he wasn't nice and in a way knew he was using to get to my friend (even though he hasn't talked to her and she was with someone),he came and confronted me and asked me why i sent such an email,he told me that he wasn't free to chat (so he blocked me)since he gets c his family very little.and apologized and asked me to forgive him.i considered this nice of him to come and explain his situation. i aplpogized of overreacting.i almost sure he understood i liked and was hurt from my email.i just want to know why he acts weird and why did he used to wink and then stop.i know he was very very very hurt from my best friend .how can i get him out of his cacoon,he very shy and that why he lost my best friend because she felt she was wasting her time.and does it sound like he interested in me .sometimes i feel i am wasting my time .help i am vey sad.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,793 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
courageous--

Your post is a little confusing.

Is this what you said?

Two years ago "X" was interested in your Best Friend. "X" is a shy guy and the relationship went nowhere. Your Best Friend has recovered and no longer has any interest in him.

Now you think "X" may be interested in you, but he's still shy.

Is this the situation?

Problems are much easier to understand when presented in paragraphs with conventional punctuation.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:12 pm
He may not be over her, which is why he's scared to start another relationship (I presume). Just get close to him, if he never opens up to you then there's really nothing you can do.

Maybe tell him to his face you like him. Couldn't hurt.
0 Replies

couragous

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
but then why did he used to wink at me??do u think he trying to get back at her
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 03:44 pm
You're a liberated woman. Ask him to join you for a cup of coffee and ask him why he winks.
0 Replies

couragous

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:10 am
its not that easy ,i live in a country which doesn't really allow ,plus my father would never agree.i not allowed to talk to guys he want me to get married by tradional methods
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
courageous--

Would your father approve of this man? While it would be interesting to know definitively why the guy is winking at you, if your father doesn't approve of him, you'll never be able to use the information.

Would you defy your father?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
Where do you live?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:01 pm
I just went to "Fiddler of the Roof." It was a local theater group, and it was done very well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:10 pm
I am sympathetic. Winking has, probably, more that one meaning, but that which I am used to means that the Winking person is clueing in the person watching the wink, that they have something in common.

It might be, and usually is here in the US, a message of either aligned viewpoint.... that you two might understand this is a joke...

or, what, I don't know. The first is the usual reason.

At least here in the US, it doesn't usually mean the person is keen on or for you as a person, it is just a shortcut means of communication.

I have seen this confused in other posts on a2k, and I think it is that people from other than the US, take a wink as meaning something different, as more of a personal action. In the US, it is not all that personal. Just a clue, from one person to another.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:26 pm
Proverb:

A wink is as good as a nod.

Considering the cultural baggage that you share, would he be flirting?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:39 pm
And so now I understand more about some questions on a2k, that have winking in the explanation part...

I think there is a gap in understanding in regard to the meaning of a real life wink.

And this relates to our a2k relationship forums too... in that many of us misunderstand each other about what a wink means.

Here in the US, it is not very much, but is a nod of understanding.

osso
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:01 pm
DUET -- LITTLE BUTTERCUP and CAPTAIN

Things are seldom what they seem,
Skim milk masquerades as cream;
Highlows pass as patent leathers;
Jackdaws strut in peacock's feathers.

CAPT: (puzzled).
Very true,
So they do.

BUTTERCUP:
Black sheep dwell in every fold;
All that glitters is not gold;
Storks turn out to be but logs;
Bulls are but inflated frogs.

So they be,
Frequentlee.

BUTTERCUP:
Drops the wind and stops the mill;
Turbot is ambitious brill;
Gild the farthing if you will,
Yet it is a farthing still.

Yes, I know.
That is so.
Though to catch your drift I'm striving,
It is shady -- it is shady;
I don't see at what you're driving,
Mystic lady -- mystic lady.

BOTH (Aside).
Stern conviction's o'er me stealing,
That the mystic lady's dealing
In oracular revealing.

CAPT (aside).
Yes, I know--

BUTTERCUP (aside).
That is so!

CAPT.
Though I'm anything but clever,
I could talk like that for ever:
Once a cat was killed by care,
Only brave deserve the fair.

BUTTERCUP
Very true,
So they do.

CAPT.
Wink is often good as nod;
Spoils the child who spares the rod;
Thirsty lambs run foxy dangers;
Dogs are found in many mangers.

BUTTERCUP:
Frequentlee,
I agree.

CAPT.
Paw of cat the chestnut snatches;
Worn-out garments show new patches;
Only count the chick that hatches;
Men are grown-up catchy-catchies.

BUTTERCUP:
Yes, I know,
That is so.
(Aside.)
Though to catch my drift he's striving,
I'll dissemble -- I'll dissemble;
When he sees at what I'm driving,
Let him tremble -- let him tremble!

BUTTERCUP/ CAPTAIN
Tho' a mystic tone I borrow, Tho' a mystic tone you borrow,
He will learn the truth with sorrow; I shall learn the truth with sorrow;
Here today and gone tomorrow. Here today and gone tomorrow.

Yes, I know.
That is so!

Yes, I know, That is so! Yes, I know, That is so!

In Western Culture winking has long-established meanings of indicating that the Winker and the Winkee share an understanding.

What does winking mean in your culture?

The Captain and Little Buttercup are singing about confusion in the signals of love:

Quote:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:38 pm
I've posted this question:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38829
0 Replies

couragous

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
i would take as flirting ,i live in the middle east
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
If you think he's flirting, then smile. Whether or not you can get to know the guy, the wink is a compliment.
0 Replies

couragous

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
i wrote him emails lately but he doesn't reply ,why did he apologise for blocking if he didn't consider me important ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:51 am
courageous--

What sort of time span are we talking about here? Did he apologize to you for blocking your e mail last week? Last month?
0 Replies

couragous

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:33 pm
does it matter when he apologised
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:41 pm
courageous--

I'm 5000 miles away from you geographically. I have no personal knowledge of Middle Eastern's courting customs. I think all men--far east, near east, western--all men have very peculiar thought proceses when it come to romance.

If this guy apologized last year or even last month and hasn't spoken to you since, I'd say that he probably isn't very interested.

From what I've read and heard about growing up female in the Middle East, since you lack direct experience with the opposite sex, you're forced to fall back on conjecture and abstract analysis.

Unfortunately, I don't know you...or the guy...or the situation.

Suppose I told you that my husband refused to eat his green beans last night and asked you what you thought that meant.

You could guess, sure, but you couldn't give me a definitive answer.

Same thing here with your Romantic Winker. My crystal ball doesn't work over salt water.
0 Replies