Do people truly only bully/harass, act rude toward others because they are not at peace with themsel

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 10:29 pm
I had a read a quote from someone (i don't remember who or where) that suggested this but I am asking because I get bullied on a daily basis for the size of my nose. It is objectively big. Every single one of my coworkers has bullied me for it, and I get bullied by at least one of them for it on a daily basis (sniffing, snorting, rubbing their noses). Additionally when I go out in public people will sniff/snort and rub their noses. Surely, the majority of you who are reading this would also bully me for it if you saw me in public. But does that mean you aren't at peace with yourself or is it because my nose is objectively big? I work as a software engineer (w/o a degree) and I have a very athletic build, part of me thinks that this intimidates people and they bully me as a result, but again, my nose is objectively big. I have dreams of getting a PhD from a top 25 school and dealing with this on a daily basis will be quite difficult...I mean I can't kill myself while my immediate family is still alive. I already got surgery on it and moved to a new town but the bullying didn't stop. How does one cope with this? And what is the cause? It doesn't make sense to me that all these people would feel inadequate or 'not at peace with themselves' when around me. It would make more sense to me to assume that my nose is objectively big and as result it is me who is the problem by not looking homogeneous and not the majority population who bullies/harasses me on a daily basis.

jespah

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 07:25 am
@curious4709,
I think you could use some counseling to determine why someone's allergies or incipient cold would make you think it was all about you and the very feature that you are most insecure about.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 04:33 pm
'I already got surgery on it and moved to a new town'

Two good steps. What went wrong with both ideas? What kind of surgery did you have? (plasitc surgery, reconstructive or cosmetic)

To answer your questions - yes - bullying comes from people not being at peace with themselves. They have to belittle or threaten others in order for them to feel good about themselves.

PS I date an Italian guy with a huge nose. He is much loved by everyone in our small city.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 08:04 pm
Big noses are sexy as hell.
Pamela Rosa

Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 03:30 am
@chai2,
and such a liars
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 05:54 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Ha Ha.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 01:00 am
Sometimes it is not so much "themselves" but it is that they go home and are constantly humiliated by insulting and degrading parents or a spouse, so they in turn go to school or work and act out the same on others. So yea, they are technically not at peace with themselves because they are not at peace at home. Once they grow up and leave school or get a divorce and especially leave home from under their parents or a spouses rule they can often become very decent people. Some people cope very cheerfully with much worse than a big nose. What if you only had one leg or was blind in one eye? Consider yourself lucky, things could be worse. Move on and try and not let it bother you. Many people also deal with hidden problems too, they seem perfect on the outside but inside they are miserable as hell. Be glad... Smile
0 Replies

33export

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 02:50 am
@jespah,
Wishing you success in pursuing your academic goal.
illegitimus non carborundum.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 07:26 am
@curious4709,
It is true babies cry when they feel bad...it is also true they do not always feel bad out of their own system stability. There are external causes just as much there are internal constraints to a system stability.The world is a noisy place and people react to it. Down to Earth, the point is, bullies have this cathartic process of shoving energy out upon others around them to keep themselves stable. It is the case they are too sensitive. It is also the case their solution trumps social alignment and cooperation. They are autistic to group energy efficiency. One could argue a good chunk has a predatory mindset that exploits weak spots on the balance of social interactions. Obviously, in the web globalisation age, these guys are doomed to extinction by natural selection.
0 Replies

newmoonnewmoon

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 08:02 am
@curious4709,
Will you provide a picture for us?
0 Replies

newmoonnewmoon

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 08:07 am
@curious4709,
The best you should do is pray about it. Helps doesnt help doesnt matter. All that matters is how much stronger at heart you allow yourself to become. And prayer of course. Dont turn into a mean ignorant heartless piece of **** because of this. Be the bigger better person yet at the same time know that you are no better than the next or any other person on earth.
0 Replies

newmoonnewmoon

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 08:09 am
@curious4709,
Bullies etc similar are not at peace with themselves.

At the same time learn how to overcome your insecurities.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 07:58 pm
@curious4709,
To answer your question about 'they do so because they aren't at peace with themselves', I would tenatively agree with the person who said it...but I would say it in a different way.

My observation is that people with very high self esteem:
- almost never feel the need to put another person down
- are usually more considerate, because they know other peoples journeys differ, and that each persons strengths and weaknesses differ (so, just because they are strong in an area another isn't, isn't reason criticism)
- are much harder to offend (because they check the criticism against their principles and values, then trust their own judgement)

I see self esteem as differing from ego in a very important way:
- self esteem is what you think of yourself, because of yourself (ie you admire traits A, B, C, D, in human beings, and you have, or work to acquire traits A,B,C and D. You now possess traits within yourself that you find admirable, and no one can ever take from you)
- ego is what you think of yourself because other people tell you so. Because of this, people who rely on ego, are much more sensitive to criticism (criticism then triggers the fight, flight, or freeze response. When 'fight' is triggered, and it gets nasty, you know a self esteem issue...see above)

My obersvations here in Australia is that general self-esteem within the populace is quite low. I notice that those from European countries where family is very important tend to have higher self esteem (than the general populace here). Same with those from countries where manners are very important. And the same with people from very poor countries that still allow a livelihood (as in, to be able to live from their own means - so this includes island communities with little western contact). These environments are consistent with what builds self esteem within humans. If you start naming traits you admire, you will very likely understand why.

Although bullying occurs, trying to stop bullying by educating the bully is not particularly effective (for the effort it takes). By far much more effective is training people how to stand up for themselves, respectfully (a person doing so reduces bullying, and helps build self esteem)

Rather than a forum, I would suggest you start reading (and putting into practice what you learn, even if you fall down multiple times - everything takes time to learn), or obtain coaching to help you resolve this issue.

Counselling can help - mostly to help reduce the stress and feeling of alone ness. But it is the actions that you take towards the petty nastiness that will vastly determine what track your life goes (with regards to this subject)

Hope it helps some
0 Replies