How to tell if you live in a Blue State or a Red State

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:22 am
PDiddie wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I agree. Democrats are so much more like Communists -- they should be the "Reds." I've not researched to find out why it is, but it doesn't make sense to me either.

Rolling Eyes

Do you disagree, or do you just not like seeing it pointed out?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Something's been troubling me for quite a while now. Does anyone know how it is that the Republican states got to be known as Red? It used to be that Red was the color of the Communist Party and the right-wingers would play the 'Red card', denouncing all liberals as a bunch of Reds. Now they've co-opted the color? I don't get it.

The electoral maps that prompted these labels historically reflected the incumbent (party) as blue, and the challenger as red. The association (and assignment-by-osmosis) of the colors to the parties began in 2000.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:20 pm
So, then, that still doesn't make sense. The GOP were the incumbents in 2004, the Dems the challengers. Then why are the pro-GOP states called Red States? I hate it when I'm thoroughly confused. (But I'm getting used to it with this administration.)
0 Replies