The political genius of George W. Bush

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:15 am
As bi said, 9/11 made and defined Bush. His team is very good at being opportunistic. As stated in the book "Bush's Brain" , Rove actually chose him as his muppet and George takes orders without question.
We cannot deny that they are brilliantly playing the political game, but remember , thhere are at least 2 sides to this race, and the side under Dem control was rather inept. They had pages out of Roves book
"Go after their strengths" As soon as Kerry began to accept the accolades as a war hero, rove and hhis dark minions were there to cut Kerry a new one and Kerry, acting true to his form, thought it beneath him to go head to head.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:46 am
I think the people around Bush are brilliant. I am beginning to think that Bush may be smarter than most give him credit for being. Underneath that "Aww, shucks, need some wood?" demeanor lies a mind that knows how to hold 'em and fold 'em (in other words knows a good hand from a bad one and can bluff like a cardshark.) The thing I don't understand is why his incoherent responses work so well for him...? Confused I mean, the man can get up and say nothing and look like a number one jackass and still win an election...? Confused Got to give him and his team credit for that!
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:28 am
Doesn't it say something about the man that he can keep brilliant people around him even if he himself is not?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:30 am
Yeah, it says his daddy has a lot of smart friends.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:33 am
how smart do you have to be if everyone around you is smarter? The village idiot can claim that for Godssake
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
That's what makes him a "genius" in the political sense - that all these smart people see something in him. C'mon - even if you don't agree with him, credit where credit is due.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
tigerifictiger wrote:
Doesn't it say something about the man that he can keep brilliant people around him even if he himself is not?

Yeah. It says the man who can bray like a Bremen Town Musician makes a mighty fine leather bag for others' tricks. Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:51 am
tigerifictiger wrote:
That's what makes him a "genius" in the political sense - that all these smart people see something in him. C'mon - even if you don't agree with him, credit where credit is due.

credit for what? Being the Max Headroom of the New Theocracy Party disguised as the republican party?
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:54 am
Interesting observation bear Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:01 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
New Theocracy Party disguised as the republican party?

Hey, I like that!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:29 pm
princesspupule wrote:
I think the people around Bush are brilliant. I am beginning to think that Bush may be smarter than most give him credit for being. Underneath that "Aww, shucks, need some wood?" demeanor lies a mind that knows how to hold 'em and fold 'em (in other words knows a good hand from a bad one and can bluff like a cardshark.) The thing I don't understand is why his incoherent responses work so well for him...? Confused I mean, the man can get up and say nothing and look like a number one jackass and still win an election...? Confused Got to give him and his team credit for that!

Nope, the credit goes to the electorate.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:23 am
kickycan wrote:

I totally disagree with your assertion that Bush is a skilled politician.

As defined by his inability to win elections right? Or by some other metric?

Quote:
And when his answers aren't given to him, most of the time he comes off looking like a buffoon. A buffoon with heart, but still, a buffoon.

Ahh, here's the other metric. He sounds like a buffoon to you.

This is not the be all, end all in political skill. That he manages to get around this is a testament to other political characteristics in which he evidences skill.

He manages political capital well.
He selects and juggles political issues and positions well.
He has mastered thematic campaigning.
He selects themes well.
He selects and projects personal images well.

And though he would never be described as eloquent he does communicate well (as defined by speaking to his constituents in a way that moves them or is clear to them). And does so despite what seems to many as a learning disability combined with an inability to speak.

Kerry was a much more polished speaker, but he could not reach people as well as Bush did. Clinton blows Bush out of the water because beyond an even better ability to communicate he was a polished speaker.

Blair is a much more polished speaker as well.

Thing is, you say it yourself without realizing it.

"A buffoon with heart, but still, a buffoon..."

At times, people will find the heart element you mention much more important.

Quote:

The only way you can see Bush as a brilliant politician is if you give the collective effort of the people around him the name "George Bush". In that sense, then I agree, "George Bush" is a brilliant politician.

Kicky, I can't find a way to say this that's not so simple that it seems patronizing, so apologies in advance....

Politics happens to have a heck of a lot to do with:

a) networking
b) aligning yourself with the right people
c) forming a good political team, since no candidate can win without a team

In a sense, your comment is like knocking a coach for having good players.

theollady wrote:
Craven, I have really thought since the days of Abuzz and Raven's Realm, that you were a brilliant guy for one so young!!

Um.. thank you? Embarrassed

Quote:
I would have never thought you would believe that using tactics as bad as Nixon & co., was the making of a "good politician", or a skilled candidate.

I don't believe this, you conflate what I said with your own opinion and come up with a hybrid that I neither stated or believe.

1) I don't think Bush's political "tactics" are on par or worse than Nixon's (though I happen to think Nixon is over villified and would prefer him to Bush.

2) I credit him with political skill because of said skills, and if you can't see said skills due to the objections you have with what he's done with some of them we are likely to continue to disagree on this.

Quote:
It does not make me popular to think so, but I believe GWBush HAS NOT been "elected" by the voters at ANY time. I think his team of 'slime bags' have stolen the election both times, and that does not take "skill". That requires criminal tactics.

With all due respect, I think this is an outlandish theory based on denial.

Quote:

And while being a successful 'criminal' that does not 'get caught'- could be loosely called skill, that is not the word I would use.

Sounds like your objection to my opinion can be summed up in that you don't find the use of any non-negative adjectives or descriptors for Bush to be appropriate.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:47 am
Well Craven, I agree with you. It's very unfortunate that this is fact and I am still shocked that Bush actually pulled it off. I think you're right on the money and I am in absolute awe that more than half the voters couldn't see through the bull, sigh!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:13 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:

The only way you can see Bush as a brilliant politician is if you give the collective effort of the people around him the name "George Bush". In that sense, then I agree, "George Bush" is a brilliant politician.

Kicky, I can't find a way to say this that's not so simple that it seems patronizing, so apologies in advance....

Politics happens to have a heck of a lot to do with:

a) networking
b) aligning yourself with the right people
c) forming a good political team, since no candidate can win without a team

In a sense, your comment is like knocking a coach for having good players.

In another sense though, what you are saying is like saying that a team with great players has a brilliant coach by default.

Do you believe that Bush was so outstanding at doing those things you listed above? I believe he had a family full of people willing to come together to put the current team together for hiim. Are you saying that a person being born into a situation where he is surrounded by brilliance makes that person brilliant by default? If he had to network and align himself with the right people without the silver spoon that was in his mouth when he was born, do you believe he would be brilliant enough to make this happen?
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
If attaining and retaining power is the only criteria for establishing credentials as "Brilliant Politician"... W joins the ranks of Mussolini, Der Fuhrer, Stalin, Saddam Hussein, Franco, Pinochet, Duvalier, etc., etc.

"Brilliant Politicians", all.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:12 pm
I agree with everyone who says that Bush is a great politician, and especially that he is surrounded by political genius. What bothers me is that at some point, he has to stop campaigning and run the country. My fear is that he only knows how to do one of those two things.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:28 pm
I am still shocked that there are people who voted for and even the electoral college voted to keep the

BULL SH *T

in office.

Shocked
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:40 pm
Bush is defined by a single event. Itsthat horrible fortuitous event that we're even having this discussion .

All during 2001,Bush's entire presidency was bogged down by the slowly emerging fact that he WAS a moron. This as of Sept 10, 2001 when he was freshly returned from a series of vacations to crawford and Camp david
. His actions since9/11 , with the exception of providing his presence on the day after, has been opportunity to attain greatness that was illogically spent.(my opinion)

Therefore , the packaging of his first term was totally not in his hands. The campaign was not in his control.
The fact that Carl Rove knew how to use an opponents strengths against him, is not out of Bush's bag of tricks.
If you agree that he (bush)has skillfully chosen his marketers, then , Hes merely Gerald Ford with a better handler.

Thhe fact that he won this election by a relatively narrow margin is the only mark of any political skill hhe may possess and if you really analyze it, its a testimony of where Kerry's wheels fell off , not where Bush skillfully mastered the situation.
As einherjar stated
'The credit goes to the electorate" .

Kerry, by not coming out and handling the 527 organizations accusations, gave rise to a belief that if he wouldnt stand on that issue, hed stumble of others. his inabilaty to elaborate any of his "plans" left him vulnerable to attack ads that bore no handprints of Bush except that "i approve this ad"...

kerry had it right, the campaign was his to lose, so how good did Bush really have to be.
In a "What if Tyson fought ALI moment", bubba would have cleaned his clock because Clinton could out "populist" anybody while underneath , remain a brilliant political tactician.
If they do away with the 22nd amendment, we may see Bubba vs Bush, unless, by repealling 22, they make it only available to future president wannabees like Ahnold
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:49 pm
For whatever it's worth, my take on the question.

McG (and the chap he quotes) have it wrong, seriously wrong, but Craven is onto something.

If we compare the last three Republican presidents, one stands quite apart - Bush Sr. Both Reagan and Bush Jr have managed to stir large portions of the citizenry through a personal connection with them. That's not nothing.

Both Reagan and Bush Jr have managed to institute fairly large and serious changes in how many Americans perceive government and how they think government ought to be arranged. That's not nothing.

Still, applying a term such as 'genius' to the fellow seems to degrade that term to something nearly meaningless.

But others in and around this administration might more appropriately gain the adjective, namely Rove, Ralph Reed, Grover Norquist and some others.

In the present, as in the past, Bush Jr has ridden atop the shoulders of others more capable and well-placed. In the presidency, he has been granted an enormous, even incalulable, boost from the New Right organization that has been developed over the last 3 or 4 decades. If we consider the number or things that went really horribly wrong in his four years, or of how he performed in the debates, I think we can get a good measure of how brilliant and resilient this supporting organization has become.

I've argued elsewhere that if historians win the information battle over this administration's obsessive secrecy, then it's likely the consensus will be that other individuals, including those mentioned above, will be considered the significant points of influence, not Bush. It will look like Bush, but that is mainly illusory, a necessary illusion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
blatham wrote:
For whatever it's worth, my take on the question.

McG (and the chap he quotes) have it wrong, seriously wrong, but Craven is onto something.

If we compare the last three Republican presidents, one stands quite apart - Bush Sr. Both Reagan and Bush Jr have managed to stir large portions of the citizenry through a personal connection with them. That's not nothing.

Both Reagan and Bush Jr have managed to institute fairly large and serious changes in how many Americans perceive government and how they think government ought to be arranged. That's not nothing.

Still, applying a term such as 'genius' to the fellow seems to degrade that term to something nearly meaningless.

But others in and around this administration might more appropriately gain the adjective, namely Rove, Ralph Reed, Grover Norquist and some others.

In the present, as in the past, Bush Jr has ridden atop the shoulders of others more capable and well-placed. In the presidency, he has been granted an enormous, even incalulable, boost from the New Right organization that has been developed over the last 3 or 4 decades. If we consider the number or things that went really horribly wrong in his four years, or of how he performed in the debates, I think we can get a good measure of how brilliant and resilient this supporting organization has become.

I've argued elsewhere that if historians win the information battle over this administration's obsessive secrecy, then it's likely the consensus will be that other individuals, including those mentioned above, will be considered the significant points of influence, not Bush. It will look like Bush, but that is mainly illusory, a necessary illusion.

well said, damn well said.
0 Replies