Bike weight limit? Is going over ok?

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 07:10 pm
I am female, 5'7 and weight 342 lbs. I have lost about 20 lbs already, and am looking for something fun to aid me on my weight loss journey. I thought biking would be good, but I am struggling to find a bike within my price range ($200, $300 if necessary) that's weight limit says it will support me. I was able to find a good priced one, but it says the weight limit is 300, is that ok? I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. I'm not sure biking is for me so I don't want to go and spend upwards of $500 on a bike.

tibbleinparadise

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 07:24 pm
@Maddie 98,
Good work on your progress and good for you for taking action.

The limiting factor is likely the tires. If you are over the recommended limit you'll likely see premature wear and possible failure. That said, limits from the factory are usually pretty conservative, so, you would probably be okay, but you would need to accept that there is some additional risk beyond the normal risk associated with hopping on a bike.

Good luck on your journey!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 09:05 pm
I would not jump curbs on that bike.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 09:26 pm
@Maddie 98,
Have you been into a local bike shop to talk to the staff about your question? how about a local bike club? you may be able to find an appropriate bike through one of those - a used bike might be best for starting off with.
0 Replies