Getting thinner without loosing weight

Elisa R

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 03:54 pm
Hi all!

I've always been slim and I still am thin but my stomach has grown around 2 inches in a couple of months though my weight is still the same. The rest of my measurements hasn't change either.
I don't practice sport, I used to a lot of years ago but I never got fatter until now.

I want to do something to lose those inches without loosing weight.
I should say that my back and neck always hurt a lot so doing crunches is very painful and doesn't really help me.

What do you think I could do?

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:09 pm
How old are you?
Elisa R

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:16 pm
@PUNKEY,
I'm 33
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:24 pm
Weight gain around the waist after age 30 is due to . . . being after age 30.

(For women, it can also indicate hormone activity)

Get a physical and ask your Dr. about this.
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:26 pm
@Elisa R,
There are many reasons for a changing shape at age 33, but tops among them is loss of muscle tone due to lack of exercise and/or a hormonal change.

That being said, if it were me, I'd make an appointment to see my family doctor to rule out any chemistry, nutritional problem or illness.

Weight (or inches) reduction in a particular physical spot, generally speaking, does not work. Furthermore, paying such strict attention to what number of pounds the scale indicates may misguide your efforts towards good health.
Elisa R

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:31 pm
@PUNKEY,
So it's probably Mother Nature who's playing a part here!! And can anything be done? Does it get better with exercise?
I'll ask my Dr. anyway as you say.

Thanks, by the way.
0 Replies

Elisa R

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:35 pm
@Ragman,
You're right about the attention to pounds, I hadn't thought about that, I probably should do some exercise thinking only in my health.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:50 pm
@Elisa R,
I'll have to go along with the crowd on this. See a doctor, especially since, as you say, your back and neck hurt a lot.
Elisa R

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:54 pm
@neologist,
I already told him about that, it hurts since I was around 22 but he didn't really care about it. He said all the students and people who use a computer at work have the same problem.
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:59 pm
@Elisa R,
In that case, find another doctor.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 05:03 pm
@Elisa R,
Elisa R wrote:

I want to do something to lose those inches without loosing weight.

You can do this by burning fat but at the same time building back some muscle. This will make you leaner but your weight will roughly stay the same. If you only start exercising you might burn both fat and muscle tissue and you'll get leaner but you might also lose weight.

Elisa R wrote:

I should say that my back and neck always hurt a lot so doing crunches is very painful and doesn't really help me.

Crunches don't help your stomach area to lose fat. If you want to lose fat you need to first put your body into a calorie deficient state. This means you reduce your calorie intake just a little and you do aerobic exercise. You can do anything really that works your muscles MORE than you would normally. So jogging, swimming, riding a tred bike, doing steps, or some kind of exercise routine that works all your muscle groups.

Elisa R wrote:

What do you think I could do?

If you put your body into a calorie deficient state which means you are burning more calories than you in take then your body will start to burn the stored fat and you'll become leaner.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 05:10 pm
@Elisa R,
I'm a certified trainer and I wouldn't touch any exercise program for you with a 10 foot pole. Some of the things suggested would no doubt be helpful, but until you address your 11 years of neck and back problems, you will not be able to approach this with any certainty. A chiropractor might help if you are reluctant to see a physician.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 07:08 pm
@Elisa R,
Once you've had your physical and nothing points to anything being wrong, do two things. Ask your doctor to give you a referral to a physical therapist. An evaluation will be done and exercise therapy designed to meet your specific needs.

Second, check your ergonomic posture during the day while at your various locations. I will bet that an adjustment to posture, chair and desk height, monitor positioning, etc., will improve your back and neck aches.
0 Replies