What's your marital status?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:11 pm
au1929 wrote:
Married 54 years next week. To late to be anything but numb, I mean happy. :wink:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, AU!!! Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:15 pm
Frank.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
what is the 45th anniversary?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:18 pm
married for more than half my life (yes Don, I'd've got less for murder - and it's a wonder he wasn't murdered the mood he was in at the weekend!) generally ok
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
married 25 years
first & only time
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:30 pm
Seed wrote:
what is the 45th anniversary?

Sapphire.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 06:15 pm
I'm in a common-law relationship...ohhh what fun!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:09 pm
too selfish about my solitude to be anything but single
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:11 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
Ceili wrote:
Perennially.........................

Hey girl, have some respect for foreign members of A2K Smile You just made me walk incredibly long 5 meters to get dictionary..... :wink:

Terribly sorry Embarrassed It is how I refer to my dreadful dating life at most times. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
single.

So, my best buddy from GA just got hitched. He was always the one saying I'll never marry, I'll never own a house, I'll most definitely never have kids. Well - he bought a house with his g/f, had a kid and just got married. Sigh.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:16 pm
I have a feeling that the longer I remain a batchelor, the harder the transition to "other half" is going to be, if indeed it every happens. Meanwhile, like littlek, I get to watch my friends buying houses, co-habiting and getting married. Great!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:22 pm
maybe this will help, some advice from tom waits

Better of Without a Wife

Intro:

"For all the bachelors out there tonight. Yeah, for anybody who's ever whistled this song (plays the wedding march). Or maybe you've whistled it but you've lost the sheet music. Eh-heh-heh-heh. This is eh.... Well, actually, I don't mind going to weddings or anything. As long as it's not my own, I show up. But, eh... I've always kind of been partial to calling myself up on the phone and asking myself out. You know... (whoops from the audience). Oh yeah, you call yourself up too, huh? Yeah... Well, one thing about it, you're always around! Yeah, I know.
Yeah, you ask yourself out, you know. Some class joint somewhere. The Burrito King or something. You know... Well, I ain't cheap, you know. Take yourself out for a couple of drinks maybe, you know. Then you'll be... some provocative conversation on the way home. And park in front of the house, you know, and you... Oh yeah, you´re smooth with it... you know, you put a little nice music on. Maybe you put on like... you know... like shopping music, something that's not too interruptive, you know. And then, you know, and eh... slide over real nice, you know, say, 'Oh, I think you have something in your eye'. Eh-heh-heh. Well, maybe it's not that romantic with you, but Christ, you know! It ain't... you know...
Take myself up to the porch, and take myself inside. Oh, maybe... I make a little something, a brandy snifter or something. 'Would you like to listen to some of my back records? I got someting here...' Well, usually about 2.30 in the morning you've ended up taking advantage of yourself and... there ain't no way around that, you know. Yeah, making the scene with a magazine, there ain't no way around... I'll confess, you know, I'm no different, you know. I'm not weird about it or anything, I don't tie myself up first! I just... you know. I just kind of... spend a little time with myself."
So this is kind of a little anthem here:

All my friends are married
Every Tom and Dick and Harry
You must be strong if you're to go it alone
Here's to the bachelors and the Bowery bums
Those who feel that they're the ones
That are better off without a wife

Cause I like to sleep until the crack of noon
Midnight howlin' at the moon
Goin' out when I want to,
And I'm comin' home when I please
Don't have to ask permission
If I wanna go out fishin'
Never have to ask for the keys

I've never been no Valentino
But I had a girl who lived in Reno
Left me for a trumpet player
Well, it didn't get me down
He was wanted for assault
And though he said it weren't his fault
You know the coppers rode him right out of town

I'll be sleeping until the crack of noon
And i'll be goin' out when I want to
Comin' home when I please
Never have to ask for the keys

Yeah, you see I'm kinda selfish about my privacy
Now as long as I can be with me
We get along so well I can't even believe it
I love to chew the fat with folks
I'll be listening to all your dirty jokes
I'm so thankful for these friends I do receive

I'll be sleeping until the crack of noon
And I'll be goin' out when I want to
Comin' home when I please
Never have to ask for the keys, no

Hey, I got this girl I know, man, and I just... She's been married several times and... I don't wanna end up like her. I mean, she's been married so many times she's got rice-marks all over her face. Yeah, you know the kind...
(returns to the wedding march)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:27 pm
GD - one thing about being single for a long while is that I'm able to be single so that I don't 'need' to have someone else in my life. That's different than wanting someone in my life.

Another thing is that I have gotten used to my own routine to such a degree that the idea of someone else entering into it makes me uncomfortable to some degree.

I like that I am able to decide about a guy a lot quicker now - I think that's a good thing, but I may be wrong. Maybe I'm way too fast to dismiss the throngs of men (ha!) who are battering down my door.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:46 pm
djjd62 wrote:
too selfish about my solitude to be anything but single

I like that.....and I feel ya!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 09:00 pm
Very Happy Happy for you, Au!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:03 pm
I didn't marry until I was 34. No previous living together, just went "cold turkey." Somehow we managed to avoid killing each other those first couple of years, but only just.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
George wrote:
...... No previous living together, just went "cold turkey."

That is how my husband and I did it. Before , I was just like you LittleK.
I had seen myself through college, purchasing a condo, degree in medicine etc... To me there was no ROOM for a man in my life. They DO have cooties ya know.. Laughing
But when I met HEwolf, I just blindly threw myself into it. And wow.. things worked well.
I think it helped that, I sold MY home and we moved into a diffrent home all together. It made both of us start out 'fresh' and automatically accomidate the other. But then, the same senerio started over again...
Him and I decided there was no room for a child.. we wouldnt want to accomidate another person.. and waaaddya know..
Baby-wolf was born . Very Happy Cool
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:32 pm
littlek wrote:
GD - one thing about being single for a long while is that I'm able to be single so that I don't 'need' to have someone else in my life. That's different than wanting someone in my life.

Another thing is that I have gotten used to my own routine to such a degree that the idea of someone else entering into it makes me uncomfortable to some degree.

That's what I was going to post, too lazy to repeat it.

Allthough I might be close to date only the 2nd person in my life.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:29 pm
Graduated college. Immediately took on three stress factors. Those being....new job, boyfriend, and a house. I still have the house and the job. The boyfriend and I had gotten engaged and I allowed him to move in with me. I was blind to things in the relationship that weren't right in the beginning. I guess my first clue should have been the fact he wanted to get married about a month after we started dating. Many other clues followed. Enough said......I'm just glad that is behind me Smile

As for now......I am in NO hurry to get married. In fact, I am probably afraid to. Which doesn't sit well with current boyfriend as he would get married tomorrow if I'd say yes. Soooooo......I have told him he should find a girlfriend that can give him everything he wants. He's too wonderful of a person to not have the best of everything. So in a nutshell......different boyfriend/different problems.

I have resigned myself to just stay married......to my house payment :wink:

Regardless......life is what I make it. And I'm gonna make it "good" Smile
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:32 am
So has GD told us abt the reasons for conducting this poll ?
0 Replies