David Horowitz: Democrats are the party of hate

maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If you word this as an ethical argument, then it is perfectly reasonable. Usually there is no point in arguing over ethical principles. They are based on core values... and different people have different core values.

In my view, there are more important ethical principles at play at this issue.

This ethical argument has nothing to do with rule of law. In reality, we have courts that listen to the arguments of both sides and then render a decision based only on the evidence and the law.

Both sides of a legal case come to a court hearing prepared with an interpretation of the law that favors the outcome they want. You can't assume that the conservative side will always win (any more than I can assume the liberal side will always win). Often the there are competing arguments that both have some validity. The court has to decide between them.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:50 pm
@maxdancona,
You know what is truly ironic?

This may be one of the only threads on A2K where three "conservatives" are debating one "liberal." Most often the numbers are the other way around.

Clearly none of your fellow "liberals" in this forum want to come to your aide.

I think this says something good about you, but don't get carried away with it Smile

You have been judged as a heretic in this forum because of your opinions regarding feminism. That you hold to just about all of the rest of the left-wing orthodoxy doesn't matter.

That says something bad about your fellow "liberals," and is very typical of left-wing thought in this country.

maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Did you read the part about "these issues are decided by the courts"?
maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You have been judged as a heretic in this forum because of your opinions regarding feminism. That you hold to just about all of the rest of the left-wing orthodoxy doesn't matter.

Thank you Finn! That is truly gracious.

But in my defense, there are several other ways I depart from the left-wing orthodoxy; political correctness, religious freedom (which I am ambivalent about) and GMOs to name a few.
McGentrix

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Did you read the part about "these issues are decided by the courts"?

So again, you've missed the entire point of my post. Purposefully?
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:56 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If you word this as an ethical argument, then it is perfectly reasonable. Usually there is no point in arguing over ethical principles. They are based on core values... and different people have different core values.

And your core value is different than mine on this? Ethical arguments are far more material than legal ones in terms of what is wrong or right.

In my view, there are more important ethical principles at play at this issue.

Like what?

This ethical argument has nothing to do with rule of law. In reality, we have courts that listen to the arguments of both sides and then render a decision based only on the evidence and the law.

Obviously, and we need to abide by those decisions, but it sounds like you are arguing: "If we have really clever lawyers we can get around the law to satisfy our emotional desires"

Both sides of a legal case come to a court hearing prepared with an interpretation of the law that favors the outcome they want. You can't assume that the conservative side will always win (any more than I can assume the liberal side will always win). Often the there are competing arguments that both have some validity. The court has to decide between them.

With respect: Blah, blah, blah. You keep writing this. Where have I ever indicated that I assume the "conservative side" will or even should win? If you want to keep dodging the ethical issue, I can't stop you.

maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:07 pm
@McGentrix,
Maybe I did miss the point of your post.

Are you trying to get me to say that I am in favor of State's rights when they support my political views? I have no problem admitting that. I think everyone invokes state's rights when they disagree with a policy being pushed by the party in charge. In the past several decades (since at least the Nixon administration) this has usually been the conservative side with civil rights, and same sex marriage.

I thought it was funny that this time I am invoking states rights, and I said so. I am still right that this will be decided in the courts.

Is there something else?
maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
My position on immigration are informed in large part by my belief in multiculturalism (as a core value), my belief that immigrants on net are good for society, and values around compassion. These are my core values--- you can ridicule them, or argue them or whatever. It will do you no good. They are my values and the direction that I want for my country.

I am open to logical arguments and reason (as I see it), but logical arguments don't address core values.

In democracy of course, different sides prioritize different core values. Someone who values security, and patriotism will have different goals from someone who values racial equality and balance. In my opinion arguing value is fruitless; although I do want to learn about your values and understand them, I know full that well that I will never change them.

In a democracy, we have a political system that has laws, and political institutions and social institutions. We have to deal with the fact that there are competing, sometimes contradictory, ideas of what our society should be like. Our democracy provides a way, albeit a contentious way, to resolve these issues.

I am suggesting that rather than throw mud at each other, we can work on understanding the differing values. These issues are intellectually interesting...

I am interested in the political struggle, ultimately the political battles are won in legislatures, courtrooms and elections.

I don't accept the idea that conservatives should always win. But, on the other hand I don't have the illusion that my side will always win either.

On the Sanctuary State issue, I am hopeful that we American citizens working hard to pass this bill will prevail. I have good reason to believe that should we prevail, the courts will find it to be legal. I have talked to lawyer friends, including people who have shown the ability to say that liberals will lose certain cases. For one thing, Jeff Sessions isn't even bothering to take Sanctuary Cities to court.

layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I thought it was funny that this time I am invoking states rights, and I said so.

Is there something else?

I''ll repeat what I've already said, then ask a question.

By the express terms of the constitution, matters dealing with immigration are not, have never been, and cannot be, a "State's right."

The question: Do you understand this at all?
McGentrix

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah, you don't get to only claim rights, either one way or another. Deciding that only some laws or rules apply to some people is not how that country works. The laws have to be applicable to everyone, evenly, or there is no sense in having them.

Every country in the world has borders and you know there are reasons for that. The same reason Arizona cannot strengthen it's immigration laws is the one California cannot relax it's immigration laws.
Quote:
the Supreme Court struck down most of Arizona's immigration legislation, siding with the Obama administration and immigrant rights activists who argued that Arizona's law intruded on the federal government's well-established authority over immigration.

That sentence is why sanctuary city's may not withhold support of federal law.

According to wikipedia,
Quote:
a sanctuary city is a city that limits its cooperation with the national government effort to enforce immigration law.

If they are going to continue to do so, why should the Federal government be forced to reward those cities with federal funding?
maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:30 pm
@layman,
Do see how everything you ask is an attack? I will still answer respectfully. Again, this will ultimately be decided in the courts (although Jeff Sessions seems to already know it won't work).

Have you read anything about this issue from outside your partisan bubble. The answer is pretty simple. But, let me explain (this is so basic that it really doesn't merit argument)

The issue in the Sanctuary State bills is whether the Federal Government can force local and state police departments to cooperate with Federal enforcement. These bills aren't suggesting that federal agents can't operate in the state. It is only saying that enforcing federal law is not the responsibility of the local police.

This is civics 101. It is ridiculous that we would even argue this.
maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:32 pm
@McGentrix,
You too MeGentrix?

You are making a legal argument that I think is silly. But, I am not a lawyer (and neither are you). Let's see what the courts say. But, Jeff Sessions (a conservative with immigration as one of his signature issues) isn't even pushing this legal argument in court. It seems obvious to me that the Federal government can't tell local police organizations to enforce federal law... but again I am not a lawyer, so what do I know.

So far it seems like on this one point at least, the courts are agreeing with my side.
layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:36 pm
Max, I really don't care what you value, or if your values are like mine.

NAMBLA lobbies hard to lower the age of consent to 3, and that's their "value." But they have no chance of succeeding in that effort, so it doesn't really concern me.

What does concern me is that NAMBLA practices their "values" irrespective of the law. If they can't change the law, they'll just break it, that's all.

My concern with you and your ilk is the absolute disrespect for the law which you show, and your avowed determination to violate the law if it doesn't comport with your "values."

Do you have a response to that?

I suspect it will be something like--"yeah, if I value it, it must comply with the law." That about right?
McGentrix

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

So far it seems like on this one point at least, the courts are agreeing with my side.

What courts?
maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:43 pm
@McGentrix,
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/politics/sanctuary-cities-injunction/

So far, as far as I know, there was only one injunction specifically against the use of federal funds to punish sanctuary cities. I used the plural to refer to several decisions against Trump moves (including the travel ban). I am sorry I was imprecise.

Sessions isn't even planning to challenge the sanctuary cities directly in court.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The issue in the Sanctuary State bills is whether the Federal Government can force local and state police departments to cooperate with Federal enforcement. These bills aren't suggesting that federal agents can't operate in the state. It is only saying that enforcing federal law is not the responsibility of the local police.

This is civics 101. It is ridiculous that we would even argue this.

That's one (of many) issues, but it is a settled one, in any event.

There was a time, unfortunately, when they was nothing "illegal" about lynching blacks in the south. The feds don't have jurisdiction over murder, per se, so they didn't have the authority to control these laws.

But they did have the jurisdiction to enforce the U.S. constitution, and it's guarantees of equal protection, due process, etc.

Typically southern police would just watch, or even participate, in lynchings. They would make no attempt to intervene, to protect the victims, or in any way enforce federal laws pertaining to civil rights.

It wasn't THEIR damn job, or their duty, to enforce the U.S. Constitution, they claimed. Somebody call in the feds if they wanted that enforced, Alabama's constitution didn't prevent lynchings.

But then these state official began to be tried in federal courts, where stiff penalties, including the death penalty, could be handed out for such civil rights violations as failing to afford equal protection to all it's citizens.

How could that be possible? It's not THEIR job, dammit! The answer lies in the supremacy clause which says that federal laws are the supreme law of the land and bind all states and their officials. Even state constitutions are subordinate to the U.S laws. State officials are required to comply with these laws, like them, or not.

As I have already pointed out, federal statutes, passed by representatives of every state in the union, REQUIRE that states co-operate in enforcing immigration law. Even aside from federal statutes, no state can obstruct or interfere with the enforcement of immigration law, based on constitutuonal principles.

Sorry, the glib little "it aint my job" bullshit don't fly. Nice try, cheese-eater.

maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:02 pm
@layman,
Quote:
But then these state official began to be tried in federal courts, where stiff penalties, including the death penalty, could be handed out for such civil rights violations as failing to afford equal protection to all it's citizens.

I am curious. Link please? I couldn't find any record of this in a quick google search.
layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am curious. Link please? I couldn't find any record of this is a quick google search.

There are many such laws, going way back to 1871, and thousands of such cases on record. Here's an excerpt from one site which summarizes some of them:

Quote:
Conspiracy Against Rights—18 U.S.C. §2414

18 U.S.C. §241 makes it unlawful for two or more persons to conspire to “injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any persons of any state, territory or district in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him/her by the Constitution or the laws of the United States (or because of his/her having exercised the same).”

Punishment for violations includes a fine and/or imprisonment for a maximum of 10 years. The law provides greater punishment to violators if their acts result in death (or an attempt to kill) or include kidnapping (or an attempt to kidnap) or aggravated sexual abuse (or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse). Under such heightened circumstances, offenders may face face life imprisonment or the death penalty.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43830.pdf
maxdancona

Wed 10 May, 2017 07:06 pm
@layman,
I was specifically asking about your claim that "state officials began to be tried in federal courts... " What would be interesting is if you could show a case where State officials were tried in federal courts for not preventing lynching in their states.

If you had a link for that, it would be a part of history of which I wasn't aware (I like learning new things). Do you have a link?
layman

Wed 10 May, 2017 07:24 pm
Many "sanctuary" laws are specifically designed to impede, obstruct, or interfere with the enforcement of national immigration law. Such laws are unconstituitonal:

Quote:
Can a state impede federal authorities from enforcing their own law if the state deems the law to be unconstitutional. The answer is “No."

Nullification attempts have failed on three occasions: In 1828, South Carolina tried to nullify two national tariffs. President Andrew Jackson proclaimed nullification to be treason; Congress authorized Jackson to send troops, and the state backed down. In 1859, the Supreme Court rejected nullification in Ableman v. Booth.

Booth had frustrated recapture of a slave in violation of the Fugitive Slave Act. Wisconsin’s Supreme Court held the act unconstitutional, but the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the conviction. In 1958, after southern states refused to integrate their schools, the Supreme Court in Cooper v. Aaron held that nullification “is not a constitutional doctrine … it is illegal defiance of constitutional authority.”
0 Replies