Evidence Mounts That The Vote May Have Been Hacked

cannistershot

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:22 pm
I think that Perrot won in 96 lets recount and wipe Clintons record from the books. (please)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:29 pm
ehBeth, it was not The Republicans who brought about the Florida debacle.

When are you gonna see that in American parlance "The Left" is synonymous with The Democratic Party, regardless the impression others may have of the relative leaning of American Politics in general? And after all, isn't this discussion centered on American Politics? I believe the subject at discussion is specifically the recent US Presidential Election. Of course, I could be mistaken.

And yes indeed, as referenced before, there were some in 2000 who precisely thought the thing to do was to contest the election then challenge the findings and to this day reject the legitimacy of the relevant Supreme Court decisions. Those folks were/are not Republicans.

Youbetchya "None so blind ... "
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Seeing as the exit polls confirm the vast majority of the previous polling data up until the 2nd, it seems rather odd that EVERY poll would be that far off of the actual total...

In addition to what I wrote above, it probably bears mentioning that the actual results in most of the states that were deemed to be close at one point or other were right in line with what state-level opinion polls had suggested the week or so before the elections. This is true in any case for ME, NJ, WA, MI, MN, PA, NH, IA, NM, OH, CO and AZ, and kinda for WI (which went very narrowly to Kerry when polls mostly had shown narrow leads for Bush).

The exceptions to the rule are Hawaii, which Kerry carried with a much larger margin than the polls had shown; Oregon, which he carried with a more narrow margin; Nevada, which Bush carried more narrowly than expected; and the southern and border states of FL, MO, AR, VA, NC and WV, all of which Bush snapped up with larger margins than the polls had shown.

Striking regional pattern there. The state polls had on average been pretty much on-target in 13 of 16 non-Southern battleground states, but had Bush's support considerably underestimated in all six contested states in or near the South.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:10 pm
According to Randi Rhodes, for the numbers to add up, Bush would have had to have gotten 100% of the Republicans, 100% of the Indies and 15% of the Democrat vote in 67 counties in Florida. This is, to put it mildly, highly suspect.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:12 pm
timberlandko wrote:
ehBeth, it was not The Republicans who brought about the Florida debacle.

"

Complete hogwash, unless Katherine Harris and Jeb are Democrats.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:54 pm
Harper wrote:
According to Randi Rhodes, for the numbers to add up, Bush would have had to have gotten 100% of the Republicans, 100% of the Indies and 15% of the Democrat vote in 67 counties in Florida. This is, to put it mildly, highly suspect.

Now that would have been your "landslide", Harper.

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:58 pm
nimh wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Either the exit polls were massively tampered with, or the actual polls were, there's no two ways about it.

Or the exit polls were simply erroneous. Especially the early data. You will have noticed, if you have dug into the exit polls, that they were updated during the day (before the actual poll counts), and that the later batch of data often already showed clearly smaller margins for Kerry than the earlier batch. So the exit poll numbers were already correcting themselves to what the eventual result turned out to be as they got to be based on more of a complete sample. That seems to suggest to me that the early data were off-center and that the actual results are not all that unlikely, considering the exit polls were already lurching in their direction as the day progressed.

Furthermore, exit polls can still easily be wrong, no reason why they couldnt. Its not like exit polls interview every single voter. They are based on the results of precincts that in the past provided a representative reflection of how a state as a whole voted. At least, thats how it works here. But of course, from election to election the make-up of the electorate and the balance between precincts can change, and the "representative" precincts in result become less representative.

I.e., if some constituencies - say, the urban Republican constituency, or the rural conservative constituency, which will be more strongly represented in one kind of precincts than in another - turns out significantly more strongly than in the previous elections, then the "representative" sample of precincts the exit polls are based on doesn't work properly anymore. That would also explain why "the exit poll results are not scattered about the mean", as the author you quote observes ominously.

And then there's the question of how many voters were willing to answer the exit pollsters questions and whether there was a skew involved there.

Quote:
There is skew - but ONLY in states which the Republicans had previously stated to be target states in play. The skew is in the same direction every time; that is to say in favor of Bush.

How very conspirative - but there's just one hitch - it's not true.

The author shows that exit polls were considerably further off in 7 states than in 10 other states - suggesting, I guess, in his mindset, fraud in those 7 states. And those are "all target states in play"!, he notes - surely cant be a coincidence. But is that so?

The 7 states include North Carolina - in fact, that was the state where the "skew" was second-largest -- which hadnt been considered in play by either campaign for a long while already. The 10 states, on the other hand, include Colorado, Michigan, Iowa, New Mexico and Nevada - some of the most closely contested states, which all merited campaign stops till almost the very end. So? Another contention falls through.

Articles like this are invariably riddled with such blatant inconsistencies. I get around to signalling a handful and by then really no longer can muster up the faith to even think about whatever assertion comes next.

Basically, to quickly save a screenshot of preliminary raw exit poll data and uncritically assume that those must be right, even as one is questioning every detail about the actual voting results, evidences a highly selective application of critical thought - lets put it that way. I mean - to quote the page with exit poll data the author refers to - what exactly is so difficult to understand about its warning that "it’s also important to consider that early polls are routinely unreliable"?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Seeing as the exit polls confirm the vast majority of the previous polling data up until the 2nd, it seems rather odd that EVERY poll would be that far off of the actual total...

Odd but hardly unusual at all. "Previous polling data up until the 2nd" in 2000, for 8 out of 11 pollsters, showed Bush winning by 2-9%; yet he lost the popular vote. In their final polls/projections, eight out of nine pollsters predicted Clinton would win the '96 elections by more than 8% (numbers ranging up to a 18-point victory) - yet 8% was what he won by. Every pollster in 1992 had Clinton winning by more than 6%, yet that was what he won by. Likewise, four out of five pollsters predicted Bush Sr. would win by 9-12% in 1988, but he won by only 7%.

Polling is an approximate art. It roughly indicates the range the result will be in. But the actual results will always throw in some surprises. And the polls don't count, in the end.

{One thank-you though: for pointing out that the currently published exit polls have been reweighed in order to fit the actual results. That makes perfect sense (considering exit polls are intended for analysing voter breakdowns with, not second-guessing the actual result) - and I had suspected as much - but I hadnt included that in my previous posts, when I was still blasting at people who said the exit polls were off so much by pointing them to how wholly correct the published results now are. Shame on me.}

Nimh - you are indefatigable!!!! How do you DO it? Pore over, and make sense of, all that data, I mean? Wow!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:59 pm
With champions for their cause the likes of some of the more strident here, its no wonder to me The Democrats find The Electorate further and further from their grasp with every passing election.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:04 pm
The dems - like the republicans - are many, Timber. The same could, and justly, be said of the strident right wingers here.

And I sure hope the majority of the American electorate never get near to the likes of some of the right folk here!

I think, like most of us, you fail to see the beam in your own eye.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:04 pm
I guess timber believes that political discussion should consist merely of snide and obtuse remarks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:06 pm
Actually, Timber seldom descends to that - which is prolly why I notice, and pick on, him when he does.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:13 pm
dlowan wrote:
Er - try reading the TOS mptwain 1 - proscribed links get removed without discrimination.

" You may not post links to your site or use Able2Know for promotional purposes (both commercial and non-commercial) unless you have been granted an exception by the site administrators. The determination of what consitutes a violation of this rule is determined exclusively by Able2Know."

http://www.able2know.com/disclaimer.php

That link wasn't provided for promotional purposes.
Bev Harris's site is the primary soure of info on the votergate scandal.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
Harper wrote:
I guess timber believes that political discussion should consist merely of snide and obtuse remarks.

No argument there are wingnuts at both extremes.
While here, I'll opine it strikes me some here would prefer political discussion not include commentary not in lockstep with other than conservative viewpoint.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
BTW despite the heavy hand of the moderators, the site is down due to too much traffic.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:20 pm
Harper wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Er - try reading the TOS mptwain 1 - proscribed links get removed without discrimination.

" You may not post links to your site or use Able2Know for promotional purposes (both commercial and non-commercial) unless you have been granted an exception by the site administrators. The determination of what consitutes a violation of this rule is determined exclusively by Able2Know."

http://www.able2know.com/disclaimer.php

That link wasn't provided for promotional purposes.
Bev Harris's site is the primary soure of info on the votergate scandal.

How do you figure"I suggest a donation to:" might be other than promotional?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:39 pm
I am not promoting that site merely stating a political position i.e. that people who want an answer about what happened to the votes, should support the investigation of it. Implicit in the promotion prohibition is that the poster has some interest in the site.

Anyway, please, do not visit that site, it is being overwhelmed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:12 am
This is not a website for solicitations.

If political solicitations were allowed we'd be drowning in donation solicitation, campainging, signature drives and the like.

This is a place to discuss politics, not campaign.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:14 am
Of course, in the conservative mind, there is only black and white and no shades of grey, merely suggesting that people might actually do something instead of merely whining is not a solicitation. And there are dozens of posters who believe that there are promoting their agenda by posting their comments not merely discussing the issues. If after a hurricane, if someone suggested that the Red Cross neeeded donations, would that be pulled? Technically, it should be but there is a thing called common sense, an attribute that one would think would be a requirement for someone moderating a forum.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:21 am
Why can't you understand, harper? NO SOLICITATIONS!
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:28 am
Why can't you understand, Larry, I was not soliciting, merely suggesting and providing information.

BTW do not, I repeat, do not visit

http://www.blackboxvoting.org

the site is being overwhelmed due to the grassroots efforts of people like myself and Randi Rhodes.
0 Replies