Evidence Mounts That The Vote May Have Been Hacked

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:36 pm
Quote:
Liberals wallow in a never-never-land of their own making. Rove couldn't have developed a better diversion. Their hatred for Bush, their belief that he has curbed civil liberties, trampled the environment, and plans to make abortions illegal leads them to believe the GOP will do anything to succeed -- and that almost everyone else is a willing dupe of its ambitions. They see no gradations.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/11/21/ING5A9TCU21.DTL

The whole article below:

Liberals, the election is over, live with it
Carol Pogash
Sunday, November 21, 2004

Part of the liberal establishment has gone mad. Sophisticated citizens, many laden with multiple academic degrees, are firing off angry e- mails, convinced that the GOP has stolen the presidential election and that the naive media is participating in a widespread coverup.

Their paranoia won't be washed away by any investigation. They so distrust the Bush presidency that they fall prey to almost any rumor of GOP malfeasance.

I have a personal way to measure the level of liberal paranoia. I call it the Dr. Hager method. For the last year or so, I've received e-mails alerting women to the news that President Bush plans to appoint Dr. W. David Hager to head the Food and Drug Administration's Reproductive Health and Drug Advisory Committee. Hager is a pro-lifer and author who has written that PMS can be helped through prayer.

The truth is, Bush appointed Hager to the committee, first in 2002 and then again in June. The rumors of his impending appointment as chairman were fueled by an Oct. 2002 time.com story that said Bush might appoint Hager as committee chairman. The Hager rumors should have been quashed two months later when the president appointed Dr. Linda C. Giudice of Stanford Medical School to chair the committee through June 2006. But no matter, petitions from concerned women continue to flood my in-box, and the FDA's. Few bother to type Dr. Hager's name into Google, where the first reference is "urban legend."

I like to think liberals are logical. There are plenty of reasons for them to doubt the election's outcome, including the sleight-of-hand performed in Florida four years ago and the exit polls this time round that seemed to indicate a Kerry victory.

Lefties just can't imagine how citizens of Ohio, where the unemployment rate in some areas is as much as 15 percent, could vote for Bush. Gay marriage and abortion not withstanding, these liberals contend that the only rational explanation for a Bush victory this time is voter fraud.
To support their views, they cite academic-sounding treatises claiming the GOP tinkered with the results. Bloggers fan the flames. E-mail spreads the accusations. And even though newspapers have knocked down the conspiracy theories of widespread voter fraud, the paranoia won't subside. Reporters are going about it the wrong way, the conspiracists contend, trying to prove why the exit polls were wrong.

They so distrust the mainstream media that they consider them to be participants in a cover-up orchestrated by Karl Rove. To them, the Internet constitutes a parallel world that dares to tell the truth. In the media, only brash Keith Olbermann, a former sports reporter hosting an MSNBC program, has had the courage to speak the truth, they say. Urgent e-mails claim he's been fired for speaking up. The truth is, he was just on vacation.

Reporters and producers from National Public Radio to Fox News are bombarded with e-mails asking why they're not investigating the GOP theft of votes. The answer is that, with a few exceptions, the allegations have proven to be untrue.

Under the subject: "You Have the Power!!!!" a friend of a friend of a -- you get the idea -- urges in an e-mail, "Anyone who cares about our democracy," to read on: CBS and the other major media outlets are in "lock- down," ordered by the White House not to report or even discuss among themselves the issue of voter fraud. Any reporter who discusses the issue risks being fired.

Quick, someone tell Fox News. Their reporters were discussing it the other day. Oops, too late: they probably lost their jobs.
How could intelligent people fall for this blather? Don't they know that any memo of such gravity would turn up online 27 seconds after its author pressed, "send?" Don't they think that if 3 million votes had been fraudulently cast, Sen. John Kerry and the Democrats would demand a recount? They have their answer to that, too. Another e-mail claims Kerry is in stealth mode. Just you wait.

Oakland's Grand Lake Theater marquee promotes "Polar Express" and "The Incredibles" on one side. On the other, screams this warning: "COMPUTER VOTING
IS FRAUDULENT/DIEBOLD PROMISED BUSH A WIN/ELECTION FRAUD IS TREASON!"

Liberals wallow in a never-never-land of their own making. Rove couldn't have developed a better diversion. Their hatred for Bush, their belief that he has curbed civil liberties, trampled the environment, and plans make abortions illegal leads them to believe the GOP will do anything to succeed -- and that almost everyone else is a willing dupe of its ambitions. They see no gradations.

This morning, I received two Dr. Hager e-mails. Another bad day for the Democrats.

Carol Pogash is an East Bay writer and a contributor to the New York Times.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:08 pm
The election is over, yes. Live with it? In your dreams. I started working against the present administration after the election.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:47 pm
Harper wrote:
Timber claims to be a day trader yet doesn't know the DJIA is down since Bush took office???
If I were him or her, I would cut out the posting during market hours, pehaps that is why so many of his or her posts make so little sense

While I'm always appreciative of well meant advice, I think I'll continue to follow my own counsel when it comes to matters financial.

Some of that specifically Dow-related counsel, as archived here on A2K. indicates I pay a good bit of attention to The Dow:

timber, Mar 11, 2003 wrote:
At the moment, I tend to think The Market is at or very close to its bottom. Unfortunately, I don't expect a startlingly robust recovery. My current feeling is a Dow in the mid $9K to low $10k range by year end
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=131382#131382

timber, June 11, 2003 wrote:
... As long as The Dow is at or above 9K, unemployment is at or below 5.5%, GDP growth is at or above 3%, inflation is below 2%, and both South Korea and Israel still exist come Autum '04, he can't lose. George's military record is merely an inconvenience, not a career-limiting hinderance. In fact, if The Dems sieze on the matter as a key point of opposition, they will simply seal their own doom.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=237973#237973

timber, Sep 12, 2003 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
timber, It's good to see some good news on retail sales for a month or two, but what we must look for are long term improvement trends.

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Capture_11212004_213906.jpg

RLX= Retail Index
SPX= Standard & Poor Index
DJI= Dow Jones Industrial ("The Dow Index")

Exactly, c.i. , glad you brought that up.
The Retail Index, up a bit over 40% in the past six months, has significantly, and consistently, outpaced overall market recovery, which by either of two major indexes is up roughly 25% over the same period ... I'd characterize that as more than just "a month or two".
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=357286#357286

timber, Sep 13, 2003 wrote:
Well, sorry, c.i. ... thought you'd know about the Retail Index. Its a tracking indicator of stock prices, just as the DOW and the S&P, to which I compared it, and is composed of the Stocks of major retailers. What makes it particularly useful as a leading indicator is that Retail Stocks are held most heavily by institutional investors ... major funds, multi-national banks, insurance companies, and the like ... not exactly what you'd call adventurous investors. Over the past year, the past six months in particular, the Retail sector has been subject to net acquisition by the really big players. Having collapsed in the latter part of '99, well ahead of the general market downturn, the sector languished well into last year, then began picking up steam. That it is outperforming other, more broadly based indicators is what is significant, as typically the index's performance closey tracks the overall market some months in advance of overall market movement. Applying MACD, or Moving Average Convergence/Divergence analysis, to the sector, indicates continued growth in the sector is highly likely. It is a reading of where Retail WILL BE, not where it IS. Bollinger analysis and Stochastic analysis of the index leads to the same conclusion, among many other methods. While normally applied to individual stocks, such analysis techniques (based on the pricnciple of standard mean deviation), when applied to entire sectors, is extraordinarilly accurate. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=357939#357939

The major indices have improved significantly over the past 12 months. The folks who've lost money are the ones who've remained behind the curve - a group not populated by "The Big Boys". In the past 52 weeks, The Dow has moved from below $7200 to its current level of nearly $9500 ... a clear 25%+/- increase. The S&P, Russel, and NASDAQ have done even better than the Dow. The facts and history just don't support your argument.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=358030&highlight=dow#358030

The bubble of the late '90s was abberational, c.i., and just about guaranteed a massive correction; take a look at the 5-year performance of the DOW and tell me what it evidences. I see steady recovery over the past two quarters, with the upward trend accellerating.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=358154#358154

timber, Sep 15, 2003 wrote:
Anything's possible, dyslexia, but I'm betting the other way, and using my own real money; after almost four years of playing the market short, I'm going long on futures options contracts. I'm figuring by the end of Q4 '03 the Dow will be well above $10K ... an even more optimistic outlook than I held HERE

I guess my vote in that poll stands out, there's only one for the $10K category.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=361462#361462

timber, Nov 14, 2003 wrote:
Another conjecture: as numbers flow in over the next few weeks showing economic expansion is settling into a sustainable mode after the unprecedented spurt recently reported, the punditocracy will begin shouting they were right all along and that the economy is still in trouble. As the Dow forges beyond $10K and the Nasdaq leaves $2K in the dust, as home ownership increases, unemployment stabilizes then declines and hiring begins to put pressure on the labor pool as both manufacturing and sevices explode, the cry will be that its all an illusion, that debilitating inflation looms, that interest rates are dangerously low, and that the increased tax revenue due to improved earnings threatens to drive the deficit down too rapidly for economic stability. Expect also criticism from abroad that an "intentially and artificially soft dollar" gives the US an unfair export advantage. Bad news sells news, and if bad news can't be found, it must be manufactured.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=441390#441390

timber, Dec 3, 2003 wrote:
At this point, I see no reason The Dow will not break through $10K, probably within the next few trading sessions, retreat a bit under profit-taking pressure, crossing back-and-forth a few times, then finish the year above $10K.

One or two-day swings on "Threats" are really meaningless. Market performance Year-To-Date compared with Market Performance 2-Years-To-Date, 5-Years-To-Date, 10-Years-To-Date, 20-Years-To-Date, and 50-Years-To-Date indicate the current upward momentum not only is solid but accellerating. Coupling that with the consistent positive movement of market indicators, now including even upticks in employment and downticks in unemployment claims despite astounding concurrent productivity gains, along with substantial recent increases in capital investment, consumer sentiment, and overall construction, and the fact that every "revision" over the past 3 quarters (of which there have been many) has been positive, leads to no conclusion other than that there is yet excessive pessimism. The Economy is growing faster, more broadly, and more sustainably than most folks realize.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=467341#467341

timber, Dec 5, 2003 wrote:
Just a little piece of trivia here, for perspective: 18 years ago today, Dec 5, 1985, The Dow broke above $1500 for the first time ever
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=469352#469352

timber, Dec 8, 2003 wrote:
Today, the DOW rose 102.59 points, or 1.04 percent, to 9,965.27, its highest close since May 28, 2002, with congruent gains recorded by the NASDAQ and the S&P 500. As expected, trading on all US exchanges was light in advance of tomorrow's Fed announcement re rates; no rate increase is anticipated, but all eyes will be on the wording of the statement. The item of interest is the term "considerable period" ... if it is missing, that will signal the probability of a rate increase sometime in mid-Q1 to early Q2 '04, which no doubt will bring about a market pullback and likely also strengthen the dollar a bit, though both effects, should either or both occur, will be transitory.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=474607&highlight=dow#474607

timber, Dec 11, 2003 wrote:
So anyhow ... the DOW closed up $86.3) to end at $1008.16. While $10,026.53 was hit, today's close above $10K is a more significant even, IMO. A short-term pullback ... profit taking, is possible tomorrow, but volume and price picked up today right at the close of trading ... fewer overall trades, but larger ones characterized the last half-hour of trading. This indicates to me a sentiment within the market's big players favorable to net acquisition, and I would anticipate the index will close the week still above $10K, is not much unchanged from today's close. By year-end, looking at underlying indicators, barring external shock, the index could close the year well established above $10K, and the NAS settling in above $2K.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=478754#478754

timber, Dec 12, 2003 wrote:
The DOW first crossed $10K in early '99, near the end of the '92-'99 boom. Interest rates then, short and long term, consumer and institutional, were considerably higher. Inflation was running at around double the current pace. Labor productivity was around half its current level. The current ratio of stock prices to corporate earnings is considerably lower than it was then, and corporate earnings are increasing at a rate far in excess of that which applied in the '92-'99 boom. The current market strength is broad-based, not concentrated in speculative, earnings-shy techs, as was the case in the '92-'99 run-up, and includes basic industries, financial services, and so-called "Consumer Cyclicals", such as autos, homebuilders, and durable goods ... all lacking significant momentum in the tech-crazy earlier period, particularly as regards the latter months of the previous boom. The combination of low interest rates, low inflation, and consistent market gains in well in excess of the yields available from interest-bearing investments render stocks a relative bargain, without even taking into account the effect of the cut in the dividend tax rate. The rate-of-return-on-investment is more attractive for stocks than it has been in years.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=480732#480732

timber, Jan 9, 2004 wrote:
Also of note is that yesterdy's DOW close at $10,592.44 is the highest since Mar 12 '02's close of $10632.40. I expect, however, that today's market activity will be flat to slightly down on profit taking, as today's unemployment news was mere good, not astounding. Only well-above-expected news seems to drive market gains anymore, which itself is an encouraging sign; folks are getting accustomed to good news.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=513982#513982

timber, Feb 18, 2004 wrote:
GM's market share has been slipping ... since the Beatles were together. An expanding overall market sorta moots the overall impact of market share; a fifth of a ten-pound pie is more than a quarter of a six-pound pie. While GM's market share declined overall in '03, at 28% vs 28.3% for 2002, for the last half it actually picked up from the pace earlier in the year, coming in at 28.7% for the period, For the full year, GM reported net income of $3.82 billion, or $7.14 a share, up from $1.74 billion, or $3.35 a share, in 2002. Revenue rose 4.6% to $185.52 billion from $177.32 billion the previous year, excluding the one-time gain realized from the spinoff of Hughes/DirecTV. The company's stock is trading some 60% higher than its year-ago low, closing today just under $50 as comapred to less than $30 a little less than a year ago. Over the past six months, GM has signioficantly outperformed the Dow and the S&P 500.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=565608#565608

timber, Mar 28 2004 wrote:
Yahoo! Finance tracks the DOW back to 1928, and most individual stocks back to at least 1960, depending on how long the particular issue has been around. Things like name or symbol changes, mergers/acquisitions, and the like can muddy things a bit, but if you know what you're looking for, you can probably track it down. Its free, but I think you have to register to use it. I find it pretty handy. Yahoo has a very nice real-time market tracker you can populate with your own portfolios (and you can switch back-and-forth-among them), or with any stocks you select, and you can watch what's going on as the day unfolds, if you've got the stomach for it Mr. Green Upticks show in green, downticks in red, and it can be configured to show daily and YTD earnings standings, totasl portfolio value, most-actives, biggest gainers and losers, and lots of other things. That's a subscription/fee deal, but its cheap. It also lets you do various comparisons and lookups, as well as independently track another issue or index in a separate window. You'll need Java to use any of it. It runs all day on one of my machines; its kinda neat to actually see your own trades execute, and handy as hell to let you know when it would be a good idea to enter a trade on a given issue.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=622351#622351

timber, Oct 1, 2004 wrote:
Meanwhile, out there in the real world, the US securites markets are up across the board, with the Dow notching a comforting triple-digit gain, the NASDAQ up well over 45, and the S&P climbing nearly 17.

Don't see anything anywhere in any of that to cause me any distress. I feel pretty good about things, and the way they're goin', right now, actually.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=930250#930250

Mebbe some of that was a little hard for some to understand, but it has all pretty well proved out, IMO.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:16 pm
Timber, Harper, can ya'll move this over to the financial forum? I'm sure you're both quite the financial wizards, but I find this "my portfolio is bigger than yours" stuff unworthy of both of you.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:20 pm
Point well made, jibe well deserved, Merlin ... sorry for my part in the interuption.

As a weak defense, I could say I was just goin' over some stuff there that went to the point of my statistical analysis methods, which are key to my rejection of the "We wuz robbed" sillyness, but that would be a lame excuse, even if fairly accurate. The numbers, their history, and their trendings just don't support the allegations, IMO ... but then that's my opinion.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:58 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Point well made, jibe well deserved, Merlin ... sorry for my part in the interuption.

As a weak defense, I could say I was just goin' over some stuff there that went to the point of my statistical analysis methods, which are key to my rejection of the "We wuz robbed" sillyness, but that would be a lame excuse, even if fairly accurate. The numbers, their history, and their trendings just don't support the allegations, IMO ... but then that's my opinion.

Hang on there !!

That is tantamount to saying "it would not matter if the election were stolen". I think in that case it would be "lame" for even dyed in the wool Republicans to not protest.

Timber,

Sometimes you get carried away by your own rhetoric.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:02 pm
In view of the above . we note that there have been news stories about Connecticut's $Billion-dollar shortfall in next year's budget... and talk of how Congress MUST meet to authorize increased debt levels for the Nation.
Looks like the State and Federal budgets will put us heavily in debt... while reducing Social Services of all kinds.

Yeh, the economy's GREAT.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm
Well I dunno. New Mexico is awash in cash for a change. And we're a poor state. Go figure.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:16 pm
gozmo, I don't see how sayin' the numbers. their history and their trendings don't support the allegations in any way is tantamount to sayin' it doesn't matter if the election were stolen ... it says that the numbers, their history, and their trendings say the election was not stolen. But I understand that some folks can't understand that.

And Magus, its more than time both state and federal governments not only got a handle on spending, its well past time they should take a good strong hard cold look at what they get for what they spend. Eliminating fraud, waste, and free-ride entitlements would go a long, long way toward improving the overall fiscal picture. And thats a wholly non-partisan issue ... including even those free-ride, feel-good entitlements. The people have legislated themselves into this mess, only they can legislate themselves out of it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:03 am
Quote:
The people have legislated themselves into this mess, only they can legislate themselves out of it.

A convienent cop-out when one's party controls every branch of the gov't, Timber...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
To call that a copout is ludicrous, Cyc. The mess has been building for generations, through an unending series of Administrations and party dominance. Blaming it on one, absolving the other is blind partisan spin, bordering on screed, apart from being ethically and intellectualy bankrupt.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:24 am
Okay, forget who we blame it on, who is in the position to fix it right now?

Are there any steps being taken towards fiscal responsibility by those who are in a position to fix it?

If Republicans really care about small gov't, fiscal responsibility and a balanced budget, I'd love to see a single Iota of proof of this in the coming years....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:11 pm
Don't hold your breath, Cy.

Talk may be cheap, but decifit spending is NOT.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:29 am
Concerning the earlier allegations that exit polls were suspiciously and statistically improbably off in the battleground states in particular, in this here close election.

First off, it was already concluded that the battleground states exit polls did not show a uniform pattern of greater deviance from actual results than other states. Some of the states where the exit polls were most off were quite safe states. Some of the states where the exit polls were closer to the actual results were hotly contested battleground states. In fact, Democrat polling expert Blumenthal notes that "Freeman's data show Kerry doing an average of 1.9 percentage points better than the actual count in the 11 [battleground] states for which he has data. In a public appearance last week, Joe Lenski of the NEP reported that the exit polls had "an average deviation to Kerry" of 1.9 percentage points - exactly the same number." Ergo, in as far as the exit polls were off (or the actual results were, if you're of the suspicious kind), they were off in the same degree in the battleground states as in safe states. That seem to argue against systemic voter fraud - why take the risk of doing something illegal in safe states where you would have comfortably won in any case?

Secondly. Freeman was the guy who argued that the odds against unusual "anomalies" in just three states -- Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio -- "are 250 million to one". But the anomalies of exit polls showing distinctly more Democrat-leaning numbers than the actual results would turn up with are not that rare - they're in fact a long-standing tradition, for whatever reason.

Look at this Washington Monthly table on exit polls. Amazing but true: "the raw exit poll results always overstate the Democratic vote, sometimes by as much as eight percentage points". They predicted a Dukakis win by 0,6%, when Bush Sr won in fact by almost 8%. And both in 92 and 96, the raw exit poll data reported a Clinton lead of about twice the size than in fact materialised.

Basically, the notorious "discrepancies" this year that had the actual results so much worse for Democrat Kerry than the exit polls would have suggested, were SMALLER than the ones in the four preceding elections. So either the Republican voter fraud has systematically been taking place all these years, also when there were no electronic voting machines yet, also when they were fighting an elections that they were clearly going to lose anyway (like in 96) -- or there is an alternative explanation for the country-wide consistent Dem skew in the exit polls than the fraud one.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:39 am
Thank you for that Nimh. Your research is superb as usual. But as the Carol Pogash piece on the previous piece illustrates so much more eloquently than I could, I suspect there are those who do not wish to believe the Republicans did not steal the election and they will continue to blame anybody and everybody but shortsighted Democrats for Kerry's loss on November 2.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:49 am
Also, I recommend anyone interested in the arguments that have been suggested on this thread to read the full post by Blumenthal I quoted from above - it's here: The Freeman Paper. Its a bit dry, quite methodological, but also a systematic analysis of Freeman's claims that goes into quite some detail.

Freeman bases his contention of vote fraud as "an unavoidable hypothesis" on several assumptions/arguments. Three of the basic ones are that (1) Exit polls can "predict overall results" in elections "with very high degrees of certainty," (2) the odds against unusual "anomalies" in just three states -- Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio -- "are 250 million to one" and (3) none of the official "explanations" for the discrepancies are persuasive.

Blumenthal analyses each of these three arguments in detail and, frankly, leaves little of them standing. For those interested merely in the evaluative opinion rather than the detail of all the arguments it is based on (something I strongly disadvise, but I know how it works irl), here is his conclusion:

Quote:
So to summarize: [If you want to explain the exit poll discrepancy] Absent further data from NEP, you can choose to believe that an existing problem with exit polls got worse this year in the face of declining response rates and rising distrust of big media, that a slightly higher number of Bush voters than Kerry voters declined to be interviewed. Or, you can believe that a massive secret conspiracy somehow shifted roughly 2% of the vote from Kerry to Bush in every battleground state, a conspiracy that fooled everyone but the exit pollsters - and then only for a few hours - after which they deliberately suppressed evidence of the fraud and damaged their own reputations by blaming the discrepancies on weaknesses in their data.

Please.

Don't get me wrong. I am disturbed by the notion of electronic voting machines with no paper record, and I totally support the efforts of those pushing for a genuine audit trail. If Ralph Nader or the Libertarians want to pay for recounts to press this point, I am all for it. I know vote fraud can happen, and I support efforts to pursue real evidence of such misdeeds. I am also frustrated by the lack of transparency and disclosure from NEP, even on such simple issues as reporting the sampling error for each state exit poll. Given the growing controversy, I hope they release as much data as possible on their investigation as soon as possible. The discrepancy also has very important implications for survey research generally, and pollsters everywhere will benefit by learning more about it.

Finally, I understand completely the frustration of Democratic partisans with the election results. I'm a Democrat too. Sure, it's tempting to engage in a little wishful thinking about the exit polls. However, to continue to see evidence of vote fraud in the "unexplained exit poll discrepancy" is more than wishful. It borders on delusional.

The only beef I have with that is, in view of my previous post, that the existing problem with exit polls did not apparently get worse this year; if anything, it was less bad than in some recent elections. Its just that in a close race like this one, like in 2000, the discrepancies are more likely to seem to have made the difference in the outcome and are therefore jumped on by pundits and partisans more.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:52 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I suspect there are those who do not wish to believe the Republicans did not steal the election and they will continue to blame anybody and everybody but shortsighted Democrats for Kerry's loss on November 2.

That's right! I will. The blackguards....

btw PM Blair (in todays Queen's Speech, a government policy statement) has evidently decided to use the tactic that worked so well for his friend George: exaggerate security risk for political gain.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
Nimh writes:
Quote:
Look at this Washington Monthly table on exit polls. Amazing but true: "the raw exit poll results always overstate the Democratic vote, sometimes by as much as eight percentage points". They predicted a Dukakis win by 0,6%, when Bush Sr won in fact by almost 8%. And both in 92 and 96, the raw exit poll data reported a Clinton lead of about twice the size than in fact materialised.

I am always careful about nice neat little tables that don't give sources. A quick check of the exit polling from VNS in 2000 showed a different story from what this table claimed. I checked 2 sources both had the same numbers.http://www.msnbc.com/m/d2k/g/polls.asp?office=P&state=N1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_2000
The VNS exit polls has the election as 48.3% for Gore and 47.8% for Bush. (You might have to do some math to get the total. I did % of women times votes for each and men times vote for each.) The final actual election results were Gore 48.38% and Bush 47.87. In actuality the VNS exit polls were within .1% for each candidate and had the difference between their percentages correct. This raises serious questions about the statements made by the author. If his numbers are innaccurate then his conclusions are no more accurate than his numbers.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:20 pm
mctag writes
Quote:
btw PM Blair (in todays Queen's Speech, a government policy statement) has evidently decided to use the tactic that worked so well for his friend George: exaggerate security risk for political gain.

In all due respect, when terrorist murderers crash passenger liners into the heart of London or Edinburgh destroying major landmarks and killing 3000 or so people, you will have more credibility lecturing George Bush and/or his supporters on how much the security risk has been exaggerated.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
Parados there are people I might challenge on their sources and data posted. Nimh wouldn't be one of them.
0 Replies