What to drink during office hours?

eve55

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 02:57 am
Hey, guys~ What do you drink during office hours? Cold water or coffee? For me, I really like drinking green tea in the moring and black tea in the afternoon, so that I can stay refresh all the day. It's zero-calorie, quite good. Do you have any other options?

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 03:54 am
@eve55,
I used to have an office manager who drank lot of vanilla xtract during working hours. e were wondering how and the hell she was getting wasted since she always brought her lunch and she only drank "Vanilla cokes". Well one of the folks discovered her with a glass of strait extract. We sent her for a "program" which , after several recidivist episodes, I hadda terminate her
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 05:58 am
@farmerman,
Isn't vanilla xtract expensive? I bought the real stuff for baking and a tiny bottle cost quite a bit. Does it really have that much alcohol in it? Maybe she was just addicted to vanilla?

Any way - I usually have one iced coffee in the morning and then just water throughout the day. Maybe a rare iced tea here and there if I want something with flavor. Maybe a hot green tea if I have a cold.

Never vanilla xtract!
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 08:38 am
@Linkat,
a lot of vanilla xtrct (not the kind made in South America (they use propylene glycol as the diluent). The stuff Pennsy's sells is like 80 proof (40% alky by vol). I imagine one can get hammered on a stiff vanilla drink , GAAAAGH!
hightor

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:06 pm
@eve55,
When I pack a lunch I drink tea because I really don't care for coffee out of a vacuum bottle. But when the season gets going and the coffee machine's running I'll have two or sometimes three cups a day. If it's really hot, which doesn't happen very often in this location, I'll supplement my intake with water.

Back when I worked in a shipyard we had a German couple who had their yacht hauled out for some keel work. They continued to live on board. Around 2:30 of the first day I started working on his boat he leans out over the rail and asks me when I take my "beer break". Turns out that it's not uncommon in Europe to have a beer during the workday. Sorrowfully I explained that it was not allowed.

Once I had a job in a cabinet shop, working with a Jamaican crew. One of the popular lunches was a bottle of Guinness mixed with a can of condensed milk. Sometimes a raw egg was added to the mixture.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:42 pm
@hightor,
Coffee in our labs. I had the honor of opening the coffee shop in my small but interesting lab for the whole floor (we were in a new building), me, a new hire with a sparkle degree if you didn't look hard, with the ordinary store large coffee maker, probably mediocre coffee, and scientists visiting me with thank yous, me then working a million hours a day by myself (1965).
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:44 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Job in a cabinet shop... tell more.
hightor

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 05:45 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
... tell more.

It was my first job as an "adult"; I'd just finished college. We mostly turned out plywood furniture — wardrobes, shelf systems, desks. Production stuff. The shop was in midtown Manhattan — toidy-toid and toid (33rd and 3rd) and most of the deliveries were within walking distance. We'd be wheeling these big units through the streets on carts and dollies. We had to rent a van one time to do an installation uptown — some writer by the name of Kurt Vonnegut. He was very droll. (It was actually the second time I was in his presence — he was sitting a few feet from me when I went to see the launch of Apollo 17). The Jamaicans were fun to work with but it took a while for me to earn their trust. I worked there for two years before moving to Maine to work on floating cabinets — better known as "boats".
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 06:29 pm
@hightor,
UCLA demolished our building, to build dorms, I think. I am guessing the science part faded while being moved.. Wish I had taken photos.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 09:01 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

a lot of vanilla xtrct (not the kind made in South America (they use propylene glycol as the diluent). The stuff Pennsy's sells is like 80 proof (40% alky by vol). I imagine one can get hammered on a stiff vanilla drink , GAAAAGH!

But I bet she had some of the best smelling breath for a drunkard in the history of human alcoholic consumption.
0 Replies

albatros

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 08:22 am
@eve55,
What I drink during office time is "Iced tea" as an alternative for cold water I rather choose this drink. I don't want to be dependent on drinking coffee or soda.
0 Replies

varonica

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 10:50 pm
@eve55,
Choose your drink of choice wisely :- i prefer beer
0 Replies

Eian Mcneely

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 01:53 am
@eve55,
The best thing to drink is lots of water to keep you hydrated. Other than that Tea in the morning and coffee in the evening is great. In summers fresh juices are also good option
0 Replies

Bradyboy

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 07:08 am
I stick to water
0 Replies