You need a license to watch TV in UK?!

saab

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 12:50 am

In Sweden
From the beginning you had to have an allowance from Tele (telephoneCo) to have a radio. You paid 3:50 for that. From 1925 you paid a licence which was 12 crowns and from 1926 is was 10 crowns up til l951. From 1956 it was 100 a year.
Later it changed depending on if you had only a radio or a black and white TV or a colourd TV.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 01:03 am
@McGentrix,
Most people would not be proud of the killing of children. In most countries killing children is actually seen as a bad thing. Only in America is killing children seen as an expression of liberty, and only in America does the NRA march in celebration of the slaughter.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 01:06 am
@farmerman,
It started off with a right wing extremist saying how shitty everything is outside of America. Yet it turns out those of us who live over here think things in America are a lot shittier.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 03:47 am
@izzythepush,
so you just feed the idiocy eh? Ill wait till the thread returns to adulthood
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 03:49 am
@saab,
really not much different from cable connections, with the exception that cable companies first "degrade" the HD signals that come from the source networks. Then the cable companies make you pay to "up" our reception.
I find this kinda smarmy.
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Most people would not be proud of the killing of children. In most countries killing children is actually seen as a bad thing. Only in America is killing children seen as an expression of liberty, and only in America does the NRA march in celebration of the slaughter.

Nonsense. No one in America celebrates the killing of children.

Unless you manage to dig up some lone nutcase somewhere. But that would hardly count as a mainstream American view.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:20 am
@oralloy,
Izzy's guilty of the same ridiculous hyperbole that you assert about
Americans who dont think exactly like you are "anti freedom'

You guys are just different sardines in the same tin.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:52 am
@farmerman,
What do you mean returns? It was a nasty thread from the off.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 04:55 am
@farmerman,
We just don't like being told what to do, especially from a bunch of people who support insane gun laws that are responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

Clean up your own back yard before you criticise anyone else's.
saab

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 05:16 am
@farmerman,
Why just scream about what is best and worst why not try to find out why things develope differently in different countries and why people are satisfied with the way it is. The discussion is Sweden what is better commersial or paid radio TV stopped already 1923. So we are used to it - just like in many other
European countries.
the debate regarding commersial TV and Radio was going on for many years in Sweden. Until the government decided 1923 to expand the radio senders and it should be done by the state - a special company. The press, the radio industy and TT (the news telegram office) together made the radioprograms.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 05:22 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Why just scream about what is best and worst why not try to find out why things develope differently in different countries and why people are satisfied with the way it is.

Because that's not the American way. They prefer shouting down opposing views and bullying smaller nations.
saab

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
Taking in concideration all the time I have spent in USA and with Americans I would say it is a certain type of Americans. Hardly ever met them in USA or in Europe.
Must admit that here on a2k they seem to take up a lot of space even if they certainly are under represented.
Screamers we have in Europe too. The physical and mental aggresion has develope very fast over the last few years in Europe. Mobbing is very common.
The established political parities are shrinking and rightwinged or leftwinged are gaining. Terrible - the screamers win.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 06:30 am
@saab,
Pardon me, but when exactly was farmerman screaming? He was merely pointing out Izzy is guilty of the same over generalization as some of those on the other side. I agree. He has a tremendous hang-up about the US. In my opinion comparing having to buy a license to watch TV with Sandy Hook does a disservice to the victims of Sandy Hook and their families. I personally don't see why McGentrix is worried about what those in the UK are willing to pay for, if those in UK are satisfied with their system, why should he be worried about it? In the scheme of things, it is really no big deal.

Moreover, not all Americans agree with lax gun regulations, Obama and some democrats and independents fought to change the laws after that horrible tragedy and Obama was just sick that not even watching all little children being rushed to safety and then hearing about the deaths, could stand up to the NRA. The polls during that time and others shown people were in favor of the changes Obama and his administration were proposing. The NRA is a powerful group with both republicans and democrats and independents beholding to them or some might even actually support. I am hopeful that will change one day. I consider the gun debate on this thread with this topic a complete red herring.
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Izzy's guilty of the same ridiculous hyperbole that you assert about Americans who dont think exactly like you are "anti freedom'

You guys are just different sardines in the same tin.

When people dedicate themselves to destruction of freedom and civil rights, it is proper that they be labeled as an enemy of freedom and civil rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
people who support insane gun laws that are responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

Freedom isn't insane. And our freedom is not the cause of any deaths.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:04 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Moreover, not all Americans agree with lax gun regulations,

Our gun regulations are not lax. People who claim that they are lax are just unhappy that they are not allowed to violate civil rights for fun.

revelette1 wrote:
Obama and some democrats and independents fought to change the laws after that horrible tragedy and Obama was just sick that not even watching all little children being rushed to safety and then hearing about the deaths, could stand up to the NRA.

The end result of the 2013 gun control debacle was Trump's election as President.

That should be a lesson to the Freedom Haters.

revelette1 wrote:
The polls during that time and others shown people were in favor of the changes Obama and his administration were proposing.

If a majority of people support violating civil rights for no reason, that doesn't make it OK to do so.

revelette1 wrote:
The NRA is a powerful group with both republicans and democrats and independents beholding to them or some might even actually support. I am hopeful that will change one day.

It won't. And if it did, you would lose your freedom. Not exactly something to wish for.
Lash

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:17 am
Surprising, the level patriotic bravado coupled with a grade-school inability to withstand criticism of their country--from the most prolific critics of others'.

Shoulda known.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:21 am
@saab,
Farmer was responding to a screamer, trying to talk him out of his shrill, hyperbolic overreaction tree.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:39 am
@revelette1,
thank you, was I printing inall caps?? I wondered how I was confused with someone who's screaming.
Oralloy, McG and Izzy have more in common than they know. ( Kinda amusing no?)
revelette1

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 07:49 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The end result of the 2013 gun control debacle was Trump's election as President.

No Comey announcing at the tail end of the election he was re-opening the case against Hillary Clinton stupid email investigation had more to with those changing their minds than anything, and then conversely not announcing they were looking into Trump ties to Russia didn't help democrats either. If you are right, then the popular vote should have reflected Hillary losing the popular vote, it did not.