24
   

You need a license to watch TV in UK?!

 
 
old europe
 
  3  
Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 07:19 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Not to be too much of a thorn in your side, but American TV really is the best in the world.


Arguing from ignorance, McGentrix? How many languages do you speak? How many TV programs of how many countries do you actively follow, on a weekly basis?

McGentrix wrote:
That is why every country broadcasts it.


That's like saying that McDonald's must offer the world's best cuisine, since they're doing business in so many countries.

The reality is that America is the only remaining superpower. Whatever happens in the United States is extremely relevant for the rest of the world, and with that comes a cultural dominance in many fields - from Hollywood to fast food chains to tv programs.

Some of it may be truly desirable to people outside the United States. Other things - like tv programs - are relevant, because they allow people around the world to keep tabs on what's going on in America. It's like people keeping tabs on Xinhua - it's not because it's the absolutely best and greatest news service in the world. It's because China is an important geopolitical power, and following Xinhua allows people around the world to get an insight into the official positions of the Communist Party of China.
old europe
 
  3  
Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 07:23 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
What if I only want to use my TV to play Xbox? Do I still have to pay the fee, I'm not watching TV.


No.

Baldimo wrote:
How about if I only watch movies on DVD or blue ray? Do I still owe the license fee?


No.

Baldimo wrote:
My entertainment shouldn't be limited by a license from the govt.


It isn't.

Baldimo wrote:
It's things like this that make me happy to be in the US.


Your lack of understanding of how things work in other countries makes you happy to be in the US?
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 07:34 pm

0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 11:16 pm
@old europe,
Ignorance? Hardly. I speak the language that counts.

I actively follow like 5 TV shows right now. Does that mean I can't be an expert on TV though? Neil DeGrasse Tyson has never visited another planet, yet people do tend to consider him an expert in astronomy. Bill Maher has never been funny, yet people consider him to be a comedy expert.

I wouldn't consider a shows like "Friends" or "The Big Bang Theory" to be an honest portrayal of what is going on in America.
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:14 am
@old europe,
Aren't you happy he's in the US? I am.

Some things are irreconcilable. He thinks paying a TV licence is a bad thing, I think turning a school into a shooting gallery is a bad thing. You just can't square that circle.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:25 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I don't claim to have some insider track on what's on the BBC.


You don't let your ignorance get in the way of pontificating.

McGentrix wrote:
I don't care who produced them. Is that a thing over there?


No it's just further proof of your profound ignorance.

This thread is just a lame attempt for you to pretend that things are so much better in Trumpton. All you're proving is that your priorities are seriously fucked up. You don't pay licence fees, and overall your telly is crappy, your children are killed daily by pathetic idiots with guns, people die from preventable diseases because health care is a racket, you have 150 toxins in your food that are banned over here and your air and water are being poisoned. Why do you think holiday bookings for America have dropped off a cliff? I

Trump is flushing America down the crapper and you're grasping at straws.
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:27 am
@farmerman,
That's why Gordon Ramsey is telling American restaurant owners how to run a restaurant, and there are no Americans doing the same over here.
centrox
 
  4  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 02:14 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I wouldn't consider a shows like "Friends" ... to be an honest portrayal of what is going on in America.

You mean it isn't a documentary?
saab
 
  3  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 02:39 am
I like that a film/program is shown without interruption of ads.
I sit down for 90 minutes to watch a film - with ads it is endless and the
thrill is broken and sooner or later I stop watching all together.
So paying a licence has it good sides too.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 03:32 am
@centrox,
Well it's definitely not a comedy.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  5  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 05:31 am
@izzythepush,
Ramsey's kind of an asshole character and a showman. Hes NEVER really discussed "cuisine"
clever or unique food prep. He just goes on about the business of basic restaurant ownership and operation . Its a show that is rooted in snarkiness as entertainment.Actually it was more a show about hygiene and design .
Taking a losing restaurant and turning it around is a theme thats been done over and over on local cable . Ramsey was just a new character type.
In fact, Ramsey parallels the popularity growth of several asshole led shows like "hotel management", Barroom advice , Jesse James builds cars, Your own "Top Gear" which was very entertaining because Jeremy Clarkson was a complete patrician asshole. Donald Trumps tv career followed the Jesse JAmes era when assholeness was considered a TV asset.

BTW, Hell's Kitchen" or "The F Word" were first done inthe UK. US producers found a novel talent and lured him to do a similar show in the US. SO your beief that theres no US talents doing such shows in the UK, is acomment on entertainment, not food prep. We got tired of WEmeril La Gasse, Paul Prudhome, or "Giardia"
Alton Brown ' early stuff goes way back even before Ramsey but its being rediscovered in reruns of shows like "Good Eats"

Weve got 100's of TV channels all devoted to some different formula. There are some high quality hows and some very huge piles of dreck.
Fargo nd Sopranos could NEVER have been made in UK because you guys really have no frame of reference. Same thing with westerns, such a shoow type is born of chaos not order.

like mcg says, thats just my opinion.

McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 06:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This thread is just a lame attempt for you to pretend that things are so much better in Trumpton. All you're proving is that your priorities are seriously fucked up. You don't pay licence fees, and overall your telly is crappy, your children are killed daily by pathetic idiots with guns, people die from preventable diseases because health care is a racket, you have 150 toxins in your food that are banned over here and your air and water are being poisoned. Why do you think holiday bookings for America have dropped off a cliff? I


Actually, this thread was an attempt to understand how you guys tolerate something like what happens in the video I watched to actually happen.

I am fine with you guys paying a telly tax. You guys pay all kinds of taxes and that doesn't surprise me at all. I am going to look deeper into this and try to figure out what happened to the Englishman's balls. I think I saw that there were litter cops? Is that right?

So far as the rest of your screed... whatever dude. You'll not get an argument from me that people killing other people is bad and wrong. They are idiots. A healthcare racket though? Seems a bit of a stretch. I always wonder why foreigners ever come to America to get healthcare provided to them. Then I remember that we offer some of the best in the world. Yet you say "preventable" diseases... You'll need to give some examples for that ****.

You really make the US sound like a terrible place. Makes me wonder why you care so much about it.
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
but what about Coronation Street?

surely that's the BBC

Wink
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 07:55 am
@djjd62,
In the early days actors tended to be either BBC or ITV, Arthur Lowe's stint on Coronation street meant his casting as Captain Mainwaring wasn't as smooth as you'd imagine.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  4  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 07:59 am
@McGentrix,
You tolerate schools being shot up by armed nutcases. The guy in the video is stealing from other licence payers like us. Having a TV is not a necessity, or a right, like UHC, he can always get rid of it.

We tolerate licence avoiders having to deal with the bailiffs, you tolerate dead children. Your priorities are totally fucked.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:01 am
@farmerman,
We get all sorts of American shows, but I've never seen an American cook show, there's no demand. Too much fat, too much sugar, and they cook foul muck like scallops, yuck!
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
.

BTW, Hell's Kitchen" or "The F Word" were first done inthe UK.


You think I don't know that. He just went to make a ton of money off the septics.
revelette1
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:06 am
@izzythepush,
I am really curious, is there anything you like about the US?
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:10 am
@revelette1,
I like jazz. I don't like schools being used as shooting galleries, or people dying from preventable illnesses because of lack of money.
revelette1
 
  2  
Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:17 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I don't like schools being used as shooting galleries, or people dying from preventable illnesses because of lack of money.


Me either, I am hoping there will be shift sometime before I die, or at least in my granddaughters lifetime.

Not crazy over jazz, but I understand a lot are, it mostly comes from down south I think. I used to like country music, but, not the last 10 years. Mostly I still listen to the music I grew up on because I remember the words, can't really hear the words anymore. I confess, my brother was crazy about the Beetles, an old ex-con got him into it and we listened to them all the time we were growing up and other music similar to it. He was basically in charge of what we listened to, luckily I liked it just as much as he did. So another point given to the British.

As for the subject at hand, if you guys are happy with it, I don't see the big deal. We have to a license to fish which I never understood.
 

Related Topics

Take it All - Discussion by McGentrix
Cancelled - Discussion by Brandon9000
John Stewart meets Bill O'Reilly - Discussion by Thomas
Recommend good HBO series? - Discussion by dlowan
BEFORE WE HAD T.V. - Discussion by edgarblythe
What TV shows do you watch? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Orange is the New Black - Discussion by tsarstepan
Odd Premier: Under the Dome - Discussion by edgarblythe
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/18/2019 at 10:46:38