izzythepush wrote:
Not just him either.

Not just him what?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
What does "a blue moon in your eyes" mean?

"Once in a blue moon" is a common expression in British English for an event that doesn't happen very often. A blue moon is an additional full moon that appears in a subdivision of a year: either the third of four full moons in a season, or a second full moon in a month of the common calendar. I guess seeing a blue moon in someone's eyes might mean seeing a sign that the person is in an unusual state. Of course rock song lyrics often don't make a lot of sense. Moons often figure, as does the word 'blue'.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:52 pm
@centrox,
Thanks, make sense. It's a beautiful verse.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:09 pm
@centrox,
Also some old country, which is way better than today's.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 02:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's what makes it so good, the programmes are excellent and the news reporting second to none. The license fee is a small price to pay for that.

Oh nonsense. The BBC will deliberately lie in their news coverage.

Ch 4 News, the Guardian, and FT are much much better sources of news than the BBC is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 12:50 pm

Could you imagine living like this? I don't think any American could.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 01:17 pm
Could you imagine living like this? I don't think any Briton could.

centrox

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 01:18 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uq5X3OGjU[/youtube]
Could you imagine living like this? I don't think any American could.

That's bullshit by a crank group.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 01:19 pm
@centrox,
What else do you expect?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 01:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Nothing like that could happen in Jolly ol' England, right?

Oh, wait...Cumbria shootings: 12 dead as gunman goes on killing spree

Well, damn. I'm sad that happened to them. Hate to use them as an example, but bad **** happens everywhere. That's because bad people exist everywhere.
old europe

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 02:33 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Hate to use them as an example, but bad **** happens everywhere. That's because bad people exist everywhere.

That's obviously right. Bad **** happens everywhere. The thing about the United States is just that bad **** happens at a drastically higher rate.

You're referencing a shooting in England 7 years ago, where 12 people were shot. The thing about America is that even the Newtown school shooting doesn't stand out: the same number of people are shot dead in the United States every single day of the year.

And the population size doesn't account for the difference:

http://i.imgur.com/5ASxa5K.png
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 02:54 pm
@McGentrix,
That happened six years ago. Worst incident since Dublane. This is a lot more recent.

Quote:
In the first 24 hours of the new year, 264 separate incidents of gun violence happened across the United States, according to data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive and Vox.

At least 64 people were killed, and another 146 were injured.

http://www.vox.com/2017/1/5/14168440/2017-new-year-gun-violence-deaths

**** does happen everywhere, but it happens all the ******* time in America.
oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 02:59 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:
That's obviously right. Bad **** happens everywhere. The thing about the United States is just that bad **** happens at a drastically higher rate.

The US has a very weak social safety net. Some areas of the US have third-world poverty. And that means those areas have third-world crime rates.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 03:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Did you see that a majority of those shootings were in Chicago, Obama's adult home and the very place he worked so hard as a community organizer. The same city that has been controlled by Dems for at least the last 60+ years. The same city that has some of the strictest gun laws in the US. What does that tell you about gun laws and the left? They control the most violent cities in the US and have done so for decades.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 05:29 pm
@izzythepush,
That's cause we're #1!
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 05:31 pm
well, heres another interesting thread turned to **** by a mutual masturbatorial wank fest.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 05:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

well, heres another interesting thread turned to **** by a mutual masturbatorial wank fest.

They can't all be about rocks.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 06:06 pm
@McGentrix,
this thread didnt start about rocks ya know.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 06:09 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

this thread didnt start about rocks ya know.

I understand. I am still a bit befuddled at the idea of having to pay for something freely released over the air... But, England is not called the "Nanny State" for no reason. Seems they should take a page from the cable companies that choke American consumers like giant chunks of hotdogs. Don't pay, they cancel your service. easy-peasy.

But, you could do your part to steer the conversation back around. Give an opinion or an anecdote or something similar.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 12:15 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I am still a bit befuddled at the idea of having to pay for something freely released over the air... But, England is not called the "Nanny State" for no reason.
For the first time, an annual licence fee of 10 shillings was first introduced under the Wireless Telegraphy Act in November 1923 in England (and all UK, I suppose).
In Germany, the licence fee started at the very same time [not paying it, was punishable up to 6 months prison].

0 Replies