Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:23 pm
https://i.imgur.com/tfvEvJh.jpg
McGentrix

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:53 am
https://i.imgur.com/W8Dihsf.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2018 11:45 am
@McGentrix,
I'd nearly forgotten this topic, but three weeks ago, in Switzerland ...
Quote:
Swiss voters on Sunday rejected a proposal that would have cut taxpayer funding to public broadcasters, after a campaign that stirred debate about the media's role in fostering national unity.

The "No Billag" initiative -- a reference to the Billag firm that collects the media licensing fee -- divided Switzerland on political and generational lines.

But 71 percent voted "no" to the proposals, according to official results published by the Swiss news agency ATS.

Rejection of the initiative was "a strong sign for the public service and for private regional radio and television," said the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) director Gilles Marchand.He said note had been taken of criticism of SBC and announced an efficiency drive and 100 million franc ($106 million) investment from next year.

No Billag's backers, led by the youth wing of the libertarian Free Democratic Party (PLR), sought to portray the SBC as an unfairly dominant and outdated relic.

Switzerland's largest party, the nationalist and anti-migrant Swiss Peoples Party (SVP/UDC), had also thrown its support behind the initiative. SBC, which received about 1.2 billion Swiss francs from the licence fee last year -- or three quarters of its budget -- delivers news in the country's four official languages: German, French, Italian and Romansch.

Many credit it for guaranteeing that all Swiss residents receive information of crucial public interest in all four languages, along with a range of opinion and analysis.
The Local

In the Netherlands, the fee was abolished - but the income tax was increased instead.
And opposite what the the wikipedia report >Television licence<, in East Belgian (the German Community) you still have to pay for the BRF radio and tv programs: like in The Netherlands via extra taxes, because it's now an agency of the German Community's government
Lash

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2018 02:18 pm
@McGentrix,
Laughed my ass off. Thanks.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 05:15 pm
One of the best things to watch from the UK is this kid on youtube.com, he's a 20 year old blacksmith that has been working his craft since he was 12. He quit school at the age of 16 and started his own business. If you like the enthusiasm in youth, check out Alec Steele.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 06:55 am
I do not know if its changed but at least in England they did not censor the hell out of things. There used to be a "watershed" which afterwards programmes came on that had more of an adult content. They used to have tv detector vans that would drive around & could detect who was watching tv without a licence & then sting you with a fine.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And now in Germany, today, at the Federal Constitutional Court ...

Quote:
Provisions on public broadcasting fees for primary residences and in the commercial and non-private sector are constitutional

Press Release No. 59/2018 of 18 July 2018 of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Last time I looked, Germany wasn't part of the UK. Has that changed?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:27 pm
@McGentrix,
No.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But America is part of Russia. It's president certainly does what Putin tells him to do.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 05:51 am
@izzythepush,
Court of Justice of the European Union:
The German broadcasting contribution is compatible with EU law
Quote:
In Germany, public broadcasting is funded principally by the broadcasting contribution, which is payable in particular by all adults occupying a dwelling within the country. The broadcasting contribution replaced, from 1 January 2013, the former broadcasting fee payable on the basis of possession of a broadcast receiving device. As regards recovery of the broadcasting contribution, public broadcasters have powers, as exceptions to the general law, which enable them themselves to enforce unpaid debts.
... ... ...
McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Why is it not just called a tax and collected with Grundsteuer?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 09:12 am
@McGentrix,
The Länder ("states") have the legislative competence to regulate the levying of the broadcasting contribution, since the broadcasting contribution is not a tax, but a contribution in the sense of constitutional law.

A tax is against the constitution because it could raise the suspicion that it is "state radio"/"state tv".

Grundsteuer ("property tax") is communal tax, levied by the local authority (municipality) in each region.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
How is being forced to pay something not be considered a tax?

Quote:

Definition of tax
1a : a charge usually of money imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes
b : a sum levied on members of an organization to defray expenses
2 : a heavy demand
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:12 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
How is being forced to pay something not be considered a tax?
By law. Here: Staatsvertrag für Rundfunk und Telemedien ("State Treaty for broadcasting and telemedia") which is set in law in the states ("the Law on the broadcasting contribution").

For more details look at the judgement of the court and/or the opinion of the Advocate General via the link in my above post.

As an aside: Merriam-Webster is not considered to give legal definitions of German juridical terms, if I'm not mistaken.
You can find it in the "Abgabeordnung" ('AO'), English translation >here<
McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
(1) Taxes shall mean payments of money, other than payments made in consideration of the performance of a particular activity, which are collected by a public body for the purpose of raising revenue and imposed by the body on all persons to whom the characteristics on which the law bases liability for payment apply; the raising of revenue may be a secondary objective.

Not much different.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Our courts and the European Court have a different opinion.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The official translation is "broadcasting fee", and the levying of public broadcasting fees (Rundfunkbeitrag) for private dwellings and in the commercial and non-private sector is for the most part* compatible with the Constitution.
*The levying of public broadcasting fees for secondary dwellings is, however, not compatible with the general guarantee.
(Judgement of 18 July 2018 [1 BvR 1675/16, 1 BvR 981/17, 1 BvR 836/17, 1 BvR 745/17] of the Federal Constitutional Court)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 02:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
https://i.imgur.com/ToupXMz.jpg
MyFloridaGreen

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
yes i want how i can get.