Michael Moore's first thoughts re the election

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:24 pm
http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/zzacosta-genaro.JPG

Army Spc. Genaro Acosta

26, of Fair Oaks, Calif.; assigned to 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 4th Infantry Division (Mech), Fort Hood, Texas; killed while on patrol Nov. 11 when his Bradley Fighting Vehicle hit and detonated two improvised explosive devices in Taji, Iraq.

The twin explosions that killed Spc. Genaro Acosta on Veterans Day destroyed even his wedding ring, but they left his gold cross intact.

"Everywhere he went, he would not take that cross off," his brother Fernando Acosta said. "He was a very strong believer in God."

Acosta, 26, of Fair Oaks, Calif., was killed Nov. 11 when his vehicle hit two explosives in Taji, Iraq. He was stationed at Fort Hood.

The avid Los Angeles Lakers fan with a fondness for the cartoon character Scooby Doo "felt very strongly about helping other people out," Fernando Acosta said. He re-enlisted this year despite his concern over the dangers because "he figured it was the right thing to do," his brother said.

"I know that he did not die in vain," said his widow, Roxanne Longoria Acosta. "He was proud of what he did."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Does anyone on this thread really believe that Bush or Cheney feel any remorse at at all over the loss of these soldiers?

They feel nothing. These soldiers are merely pawns in their dangerous game.

Yup! I agree.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:30 pm
http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/zzacosta_steven.JPG
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:30 pm
I agree, but I feel extremely uncomfortable arguing the pros & cons while confronted with the images of these young men. To me, it's like they've been used shabbily once & I don't want to continue using them. However, it is very sobering seeing the young faces belonging to those names.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:34 pm
http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/zzadamouski-james.JPG
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:38 pm
http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/zzadams-algernon.JPG

Army Pvt. 2 Algernon Adams

36, of Aiken, S.C.; assigned to the 122nd Engineer Battalion, Army National Guard, Edgefield, S.C.; died Oct. 28 of non-combat-related injuries at Forward Operating Base St. Mere, Iraq.

Spc. Algernon Adams earned a Purple Heart in Iraq in August when he was one of four engineers wounded when they were hit by shrapnel. Adams, 36, a member of the South Carolina National Guard, died Oct. 28 at a base near Fallujah of a gunshot wound. "He was just a good son," said his mother, Ann Brown. "He went and did his duty and he was there for his country." Adams graduated from high school in Augusta, Ga., and had served in the Guard for about 17 years, his mother said. He lived in North Augusta, S.C. Adams is also survived by his wife, Lisa.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:42 pm
msolga wrote:
I agree, but I feel extremely uncomfortable arguing the pros & cons while confronted with the images of these young men. To me, it's like they've been used shabbily once & I don't want to continue using them. However, it is very sobering seeing the young faces belonging to those names.

You're right of course.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:43 pm
http://www.drum.army.mil/blizzard/blizzard_archives/issues/10-7-2004/photos/Adams.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:46 pm
DO you plan on posting every single one?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:51 pm
Spc. Clarence Adams III

RICHMOND, Sept. 8 -- He was the big brother who always had the right advice to give, who called to make sure his little brother was getting along all right and turning into a good man.

That's how Mykale Adams, 15, will remember his older brother, Spc. Clarence Adams III of Richmond, who died Tuesday of injuries he suffered in Iraq on Monday, his 28th birthday. He was a mentor and friend to everyone he touched, family members said.

"He was the type of brother that always wanted to make sure that I didn't go through the things he had to," Mykale Adams said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "He was always looking out for me, no matter where he was."

Clarence Adams III, who grew up in Richmond and was stationed in Fort Hood, Tex., was injured Monday when the vehicle he was riding in hit a roadside bomb, Department of Defense officials said. Adams was assigned to Fort Hood's 91st Engineer Battalion, 1st Calvary Division. Military officials said that the circumstances of his death are under investigation.

A standout football player for Varina High School here, Adams went to Virginia Union University on a partial athletic scholarship, family members said, and joined the Army after two years to help pay for the rest of his education.

His father, Clarence Adams Jr., who served in Europe during the Vietnam War, said military service began as a means to an end for his son but became his love and passion. The younger Adams served in Kosovo and was awarded a commendation for his service there, his father said.

"He was a true soldier," said Clarence Adams Jr., 58, a pipe fitter for the Veterans Administration in Richmond. "He wanted to do right, he wanted to make a difference in the world, and that's why he went."

Mykale Adams said that Clarence was the type to worry about his family first. He said his brother often called from far-away places, filling him with the lessons of his own life and tutoring him on how to navigate tough situations.

"He would tell me never to stoop to a low level, to always carry myself with respect," Mykale Adams said.

Both his father and his brother said Clarence Adams was devoted to his family, including his wife, Tanya, and their three daughters -- the youngest born several months ago -- his mother, Mary, of Richmond, and his twin sister in Florida.

Clarence Adams Jr. said his son also had a flair for adventure and the dramatic.

"Leave it to my son to be killed on basically the same day as his birth," he said. "That was my baby . . . and he loved what he did and he loved his family. To him, that's what came first."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:58 pm
http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/zzadams_michael_r.JPG

Army 1st Lt. Michael R. Adams

24, of Seattle; assigned to 1st Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Carson, Colo.; killed March 16 when he was struck by the barrel of a .50 caliber weapon mounted on his tank in Asad, Iraq.

In an e-mail to his family, Michael R. Adams talked of how much he loved his job and of the responsibility he felt toward the 15 soldiers he led. He remained with his platoon longer than he had to because he wanted to return with them to Fort Carson, Colo., on the unit's last boat home. "I always tell people that I have the best job in the world, and I can't believe they pay me for this!" he wrote.

Adams, 24, of Seattle, died March 16 riding in a tank west of Baghdad. A passing vehicle collided with the tank, causing a .50-caliber machine gun on a swivel to whip around, striking Adams. "He died doing what he wanted to do," Adams' father, Don, said. An Eagle Scout before his 16th birthday, Adams graduated from high school in 1998 with a near-perfect grade-point average. That earned him nominations to the U.S. Naval Academy and to West Point.

Pam Schilz, who had been Adams' guidance counselor, said she is not surprised that the returned members of his platoon in Iraq gave up their family time, with some even paying their own way to fly to West Point, to carry his casket. "I totally understand why. He would always watch out for the people around him," she said.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:02 pm
How about you phonies come talk to me when it is one of your "brothers" that has fallen. You will never know what it is like to lose a fellow soldier and what it is to have people like you and Michael Moore using these brave and wonderful soldiers as political pawns for some sort of agenda you have against the president. The people voted and they agreed with what he is doing.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:10 pm
Baldimo wrote:
How about you phonies come talk to me when it is one of your "brothers" that has fallen. You will never know what it is like to lose a fellow soldier and what it is to have people like you and Michael Moore using these brave and wonderful soldiers as political pawns for some sort of agenda you have against the president. The people voted and they agreed with what he is doing.

You assume too much !!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:12 pm
The use of these young men for political purposes is beneath contempt.

I give panz the benefit of the doubt, and choose to believe that this isn't his intent. That being, I am appreciative to see their faces and hear a little bit about them. They are heroes who signed on to serve our country. I am grateful for their service, and it makes me even more hopeful that the struggle they died for will ultimately succeed.

I believe as most of them did. What we are doing in Iraq will, in time, create an oasis of peace and freedom--which will suck the life out of Islamist extremist terrorism...and make the world a better, safer place.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:13 pm
Lash wrote:
Micheal Moore is using them in a hideous way.

Yes he is. In propagandizing that they died for nothing, he conveniently forgets those that did, indeed, die for nothing.

They are THESE MEN.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
Huh? Iraq and 9/11? 'Tis a non-starter,
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
How about WE don't politicize the deaths of these young men HERE, by arguing, & just let their images speak for themselves?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
If you don't think a flourishing democracy in Afghanistan and Iraq won't send big ripples across Terroristland, you are wrong.

Its hard to recruit happy, successful, hopeful people to die for a miserable, oppressive religion and a billionaire Saudi.

Educate them, give them hope, jobs, a decent home --Hell, just some air conditioning...and a competing news source...
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:23 pm
Lash wrote:
Its hard to recruit happy, successful, hopeful people to die for a miserable, oppressive religion and a billionaire Saudi.

And yet, it's surprisingly easy to recruit people that have been bombed. Hmmm...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:25 pm
There are young people all over Iran fighting underground for democracy. When Bush was re-elected they were surreptiously flashing the "V" for victory sign. They see freedom as a possibility, the want it and they are willing to fight and die to get it.
0 Replies