Americans must now unite

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:42 pm
I am not blind. (tap, tap, tap.... heh)

sorry, that was passive aggressive of me; couldn't resist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:52 pm
Some Republicans admit there is no coming together. - edgarblythe

CHICAGO -- Alan Keyes blamed the media and fellow Republicans on Thursday for his lopsided loss to Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate race in Illinois.

Keyes also said he did not congratulate Obama after the race was called, a tradition among politicians, because doing so would have been a "false gesture" because he believes Obama's views on issues like abortion are wicked.

"I'm supposed to make a call that represents the congratulations toward the triumph of that which I believe ultimately stands for and will stand for a culture evil enough to destroy the very soul and heart of my country," Keyes said. "I can't do this, and I will not make a false gesture
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:12 pm
While I pretty much detest everything Keyes stands for, in this case I applaud his honesty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:20 pm
He's an honest rapscallion.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:52 pm
Re: Americans must now unite
lt_stapley wrote:
The election's over, we have our president for the next 4 years, and I thank our Father in Heaven that it has turned out as it has. Now the American people must unite together for a single purpose, to defeat the terrorists. They are not an unbeatable foe, but we must unite to destroy them. Let us not bicker this election for the next four years, as we did the last four. Please I beg you, don't let the American spirit die. Unite and defeat this threat to our nation!

This was my biggest fear... America votes based on misinformation. Take off your blinders. Why is this myth still believed???

Iraq had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks against the USA. Iraqi's did not give birth, raise, educate, fund or train the 911 terrorists. This has been proven time and time again. Nor I'd imagine, where they ever really a threat to your average American. They had no weapons of mass destruction….so…….. Apparently, your government's sole purpose all along was to spread Democracy? How noble.
Al-Qaeda never had a presence in Iraq until the very recent past, namely after the Iraq 'war'. Afghanistan, which has largely been forgotten, was the hotbed of this terrorist alliance. Al-Qaeda, a formerly US backed militia, had everything to do with the bombings. And yet, success has been limited in finding the perpetrators. But to appease a bloodthirsty mob, intent on revenge…they went after a sitting duck and sacrificed their young To capture a man, who by all accounts was a tyrant; a horrible specimen guilty of unspeakable crimes, a dictator with just a spot of a problem -he was fresh of WMD, amidst very hostile neighbours, with good ole uncle sam breathing down his neck, he called a bluff. Who in there right mind would think he get a pummeling for a little white lie? Everybody kept saying…nothing here. And yet here we are.
Gays, guns and global warfare, all to get some very rich men some very rich oil reserves.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/2001/war_on_terror/default.stm

What would our heavenly father really think?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:02 pm
Amen!
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:08 pm
Very nice, Ceili. I still support coming together, and I support fighting terrorism, but not the bogeyman that has been put before us.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:12 pm
If any degree of "unity" is to occur, surely it depends largely on the policies & actions the US government pursues it's second term. Has Bush listened to the alarm & concern expressed by so many US citizens (say nothing of the rest of the world) in it's first term? Is it just to be more of the same, or maybe a MORE extreme agenda, now that Bush feels "vindicated" by the election result? If so, I can't see much chance of unity. Not in the US, nor with most of the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:05 pm
Lash wrote:
Quote:
That wouldn't mean blindly agreeing with everything that comes out of his mouth. No one else does that. Its about actually listening to the content of what he's saying--and not blindly opposing it just because you can.

Why can't you seem to understand this simple truth. We don't agree because we don't agree........not because we are in blind opposition. You sound like a parent talking to her teenage child. Who is not listening to whom? It's your assumption that we don't agree because we haven't listened. I've listened ad nauseum..........and I still don't agree and I can't unite with something I don't agree with. And I certainly can't unite with something I think is disasterous. So I'll not be uniting with this president........
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:21 pm
Lola--

Maybe I should've brought the post I was responding to--

ebrown was saying he was going to oppose everything the administration did as vociferously as possible.

That is planned opposition before the fact. And, that is blind opposition, devoid of listening or thinking.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:52 am
Four years into is not before the fact.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:17 am
Lash,

I feel a bit honored that you singled me out (most of us seem pretty united in this thread).

But I am not talking about blind opposition. Maybe in my anger I spoke a bit generally, but my opposition to Bush is thought out and informed.

Let me spell it out for you

1. I strongly oppose the war in Iraq. It is a disaster and Bushes plan to press ahead in an effort that is killing thousands is immoral and wrong.

You may disagree, but my opposition is based on the fact that the violence keeps increasing and the Bush has clearly lost the hearts and minds of a significant porportion of the Iraqi population.

I suspect that we will wait for any serious further protest until after the Iraqi elections. In truth I think this may be a good idea to wait a couple months and there is a slight hope that the elections will work.

But I am very upset about the Bush Administratons arrogant belligerance which is costing thousands of lives. I protest this war with very open eyes.

2. I strongly oppose the cowardly instinct to give up liberty for the feeling of security that has been misnamed "The war on Terrorism".

Imprisoning human beings for years with no due process in an environment that includes torture goes against everthing that America should stand for. My eyes are wide open in my opposition to this.

I also am very protective of my own civil rights. I want to know that my government is not spying on me. If they have a warrant to search my possissions, I think I have a right to know the what and why.

3. I oppose the brash policy of lowering taxes when the deficit is blooming. A huge debt burden is not very promising for the country that will leave to my children. My eyes are wide open on this.

4. I also oppose the chipping away at the Bill of Rights-- from separation of religion to due process rights.

For example I will do evering possible to keep the presidents friends from reversing Roe v. Wade. This would be a disaster for our country.

So, as you see, our protests will be directed and clear. I have listened and I have thought.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:05 am
The issue isn't selectivity in opposing this guy. He's just vowed to be MORE agressive in pursuing his radically conservative agenda this time around! And what's NOT to oppose? His proposed changes to the tax code? His vow to privatize Social Security? His lethal mess that he created in Iraq? More rollbacks of civil rights through the Patriot Act? More appointments of rightwing wack jobs to judgeships?

It only seems like kneejerk opposition because it's in response to his cabal's jerking manipulation of the entire body politic.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 04:43 pm
ebrown--

Reading back, you are correct. I must have mis-assigned statements--or remembered something from you on another thread.

My error.

I just hope you and others will at least listen to Bush initiatives before condemning them.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:06 pm
I am listening, Lash. I am listening.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:30 pm
but I have very little hope.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:34 pm
I read the title as