Domestic Violence

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:49 am
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General News to Relationships & Marriage.

Quote:
Thu 4 Nov 2004

Covering up to highlight domestic violence
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,097 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:54 am
From the related Amnesty International UK website

Problem? What problem?

Quote:
Problem? What problem? is a campaign that aims to confront:

the way we tolerate violence against women,
the way we justify violence against women, and
the way we ignore violence against women.

Most of us probably think that we don't do these things. But when over 30% of us think that violence against women is OK, and when 50% of us think that domestic violence should be kept behind closed doors, and when more of us would report a dog being abused than a woman, it quickly becomes clear that we do.

All of us - every single individual person - needs to understand that violence against women is a massive problem in the UK, and that it is NEVER acceptable, that it should NEVER be tolerated, and that it should NEVER be justified.

Until that happens, our mothers, partners, daughters, sisters, friends, and colleagues will continue to suffer at the hands of violence and under the weight of our silence.

On 4 November 2004 the first advertisement under the Problem? What problem? campaign will be going up in 100 tube stations throughout London. These advertisements have been designed to confront people's reticence about violence against women and to force them to think about the issue.

Over the next six months, this campaign will grow. Please bookmark this page and visit it regularly to see what else is happening under the banner of Problem? What problem?

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/images/ul/r/reveal_ad_concealer_1_150_223.jpghttp://www.amnesty.org.uk/images/ul/R/Reveal_ad_cleanser_1_150_223.jpghttp://www.amnesty.org.uk/images/ul/r/reveal_ad_sunscreen_1_150_224.jpghttp://www.amnesty.org.uk/images/ul/R/Reveal_ad_moisturiser_1_150_224.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
My God, Walter. I can't believe such a thing exists. I am stunned. I thought that I had seen exploitation of the worst kind; obviously not.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
I don't know how I feel about it. It is shocking. And it sure as hell gets your attention. Which is what the point of it is. I just don't know....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:49 am
Walter, do you get the impression that the posters above are missing the point?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
I don't think that they are missing the point. Battered women look just like the rest of us happy ladies...on the outside. Domestic abusers know where to hit a woman so that no one can tell.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
Kristie, that's why they invented Glocks.

I just think Letty missed the point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
cjhsa, please, can't you just one time leave a threat without discussion about weapons?

Out here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
cj, I was in advertising for many years. I didn't miss the point at all. The cosmetic company is using battered women as a selling point for their product. And just look at that model. All smiles and expectations.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeze!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
But Letty, the product doesn't even exist! ???
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
UhOh, CJ. I had no idea. My apologies to Walter and to you. That's what I get for zeroing in, instead of my usual divergent thinking.

Hey. I wouldn't put that sorta stuff past Madison Ave.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:27 pm
I think it's smart, controversial and it's got people talkiing. But are they talking about the ad or the issue? Hopefully, and this is the risk of controversial advertising, the message will come through and not be overshadowed by the images used.
0 Replies