Election: Morals and Values?

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:46 pm
I saw on some of the election analysis that the "Morals/Values" issue was very high on people's list of concerns. I think Terrorism and Security were the only thing higher.

This may be a stupid question, but what is it that people are voting on with regard to Morals and Values? I don't get it? What do people want exactly?

Do people object to Kerry's values, or Bush's values? Are liberals and conservatives so different in their moral path?

When people list Moral/Values as their number two high priority issue, what morals and values are they looking for specifically?

Thanks,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,251 • Replies: 33
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:42 pm
Wish I could help you, rosborne. While I voted for Bush, my reasons were other. We might go into them when feelings are not so tender, but morals/values were not up there, for me.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:36 am
I know most people on here will not like what I am about to suggest, but please keep in mind it is my opinion, which is not likely to change so let's not start throwing things at me.

I think a majority of people in this country are absolutely opposed to gay marriage. Whether it is on religious grounds or for other grounds. Plus there is a real sense that the gay community is out to circumvent the laws, rather than attempting to change people's attitudes and thus getting the laws changed. For many religious people, gay marriage is akin to accepting as normal and proper the gay lifestyle. It would be no different if you asked us to accept adultery and orgies as being ordained by God as an acceptable lifestyle.

Secondly, I think a majority of Americans are anti-abortion. At the very least most wish to see partial birth abortions banned. From a moral standpoint, we absolutely believe abortion is murder. I personally can respect the other side's opinion, but I cannot respect someone trying to have it both ways. It is not a both ways issue. Kerry tried to have it both ways by saying he was against abortion but would never take away a woman's right to choose. Right. I would have respected him more had he just said he agreed with abortion, but he tried to play the electorate, and that isn't going to work with people who are passionate about stopping abortion.

These are probably the two hot button issues concerning morality that, like it or not, are important to a majority of Americans. If you need proof, look at the wide margin of victory the marriage definition amendments got in every state in which it was on the ballot. Even states that went for Kerry.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:00 am
CoastalRat - I disagree with you on the subject of Kerry wanting it both ways on the abortion issue. I feel the same way that Kerry does. I do not believe in abortion for myself for moral reasons, however, since it is a moral reason, I do not believe I have the right to take that option away from some one else that has different morals. To me this is simply the separation of church and government. I do not want the government to dictate to me what I should believe in, so I would expect the same respect for some one else's values.

The odd thing I think about this moral basis of who to vote for is if I were to use this same philosophy on hiring some one to work for me, I would be sued. I look at voting for President almost like hiring an employee. We are basically hiring our President. Doesn't it make more sense to "hire" some one you feel is qualified best for the job rather than some one who shares your same moral values? When I interview some one for a job, I do not (and legally could not) ask what their religious beliefs are, their sexual orientation, their martial status, etc. However, when it comes to running for office, we know all this stuff and ask and question all this. Seems strange considering these same individuals are responsible for passing legislation that makes such questions illegal for hiring in all other jobs.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:10 am
I am not disagreeing with your comments Linkat. I was commenting Rosborn's post asking what moral values people were basing their votes on. While I honestly do think it is good to consider a person's values when voting, I do not think it can be the over-riding consideration. Let's face it, more often than not neither candidate will be perfect just as we as humans are not perfect.

Did my morals come into play in deciding who to vote for in this election? To some degree, of course. (As in my example that you disagreed with on Kerry and abortion) I am sorry, but we are electing someone to run the country and execute laws. When someone says they believe one thing but would not vote their conscience in regard to that matter, to me they a pandering to what they perceive to be their politcal base. You may disagree with me on this and that is fine. It is just my opinion, for what it is worth. Smile
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:14 am
Here's an idea.

The Dems would have a chance at winning an election IF they stop insulting the beliefs of the majority of voters and craft a campaign advocating what the majority believe.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:21 am
Well said Larry.

It is quite apparent that the Democratic platform "insults" virtually all of middle America. Liberal activism, such as the Mass. State SUpreme Court, finally energized the Republican "bench" to get out and vote.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:24 am
I think you misunderstand about Kerry voting his conscience - if he truly does believe that you should not legislate some one else's values, then he is voting his conscience. Some one who truly believes in separation of church and state would be voting their conscience by supporting abortion no matter what their religious beliefs are. The bigger question to me is - does Kerry really believe this or is he using this as a way to get voters on both sides.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
woiyo wrote:
Well said Larry.

It is quite apparent that the Democratic platform "insults" virtually all of middle America. Liberal activism, such as the Mass. State SUpreme Court, finally energized the Republican "bench" to get out and vote.

Did anyone see Hannity's electoral map by county. Only small dots of blue in a sea of red.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
Larry434 wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Well said Larry.

Did anyone see Hannity's electoral map by county. Only small dots of blue in a sea of red.

It's deceiving when you don't know the demographics of those small dots of blue -- they are usually the more densely populated areas.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:41 am
It's deceiving when you don't know the demographics of those small dots of blue -- they are usually the more densely populated areas.

That they are.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:44 am
Linkat wrote:
I think you misunderstand about Kerry voting his conscience - if he truly does believe that you should not legislate some one else's values, then he is voting his conscience. Some one who truly believes in separation of church and state would be voting their conscience by supporting abortion no matter what their religious beliefs are. The bigger question to me is - does Kerry really believe this or is he using this as a way to get voters on both sides.

Again, we may just have to disagree on this. But the way I look at it, there is really only one reason to believe that abortion is wrong. It is only wrong if it is indeed killing (murdering) an unborn child. In effect, Kerry was saying he believes abortion wrong (killing a child) but he won't support legislation to stop someone from choosing to do it. Where is the sense in that stance?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:57 am
"Kerry was saying he believes abortion wrong (killing a child) but he won't support legislation to stop someone from choosing to do it. Where is the sense in that stance? "

I am a pro-choice conservative, and I believe that. But I also believe the rights of a woman, already born, trumps the rights of the unborn fetus still attached to the woman's body and totally dependent on it to sustain its life.

Conflicted, yes. But I have made my value judgment between the conflicting values.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:24 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Again, we may just have to disagree on this. But the way I look at it, there is really only one reason to believe that abortion is wrong. It is only wrong if it is indeed killing (murdering) an unborn child. In effect, Kerry was saying he believes abortion wrong (killing a child) but he won't support legislation to stop someone from choosing to do it. Where is the sense in that stance?

But killing and murder aren't the same thing. Although murder is always about one being killed, you can be killed in a number of ways which aren't murder.

Kerry was voting his conscience, which recognises he should not inflict his personal opinions upon others... rather like telling others who they can and can't marry... Abortion is not illegal, so then it follows that it should not be illegal no matter when it happens, even in those unsettling rare cases when it happens minutes before birth. That's logical, no matter how callous it may seem. I would rather see such cases delivered by c-section- if it's a life-or-death situation, that is a medical procedure recognised to quickly rid the body of a fetus, and also saves the fetus 99.99% of the time... But it's surgery and carries some risks. More than a partial birth abortion? Slightly more to the mother, but significantly less to the fetus...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:13 am
First, I think you will admit that just because something is legal does not make it right. Adultery is legal, but if your spouse is caught cheating I doubt you will think it is ok for him to do. Abortion may be legal, but in the minds of many in this country it is not right.

Second, you are right, killing and murder can be two different things. Murder, as defined by law, is the intentional taking of another life. Thus, if you believe life begins at conception, then abortion fits the definition of murder, the willful taking of another life.

You can have one position on abortion or the other, either it is ok or it is not. If abortions are wrong, the only reason they are wrong is because you are taking a life. Willfully taking a life is murder. Thus Kerry's position on the fence does not make sense. If abortion is not murder, but rather the disposal of unwanted tissue, why would he need to claim to be against it? He should support it wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
Re: Election: Morals and Values?
rosborne979 wrote:
what is it that people are voting on with regard to Morals and Values? I don't get it? What do people want exactly?

Do people object to Kerry's values, or Bush's values? Are liberals and conservatives so different in their moral path?

People want a candidate who is moderate and in the center with values, not too to one extreme or the other. This election was unusual in that one candidate was so to the left while the other was so to the right. The election was very polarizing because there was no middle ground. When it came down to it, people just felt safer with Bush's faith-based and conservative social values over the slippery slope of extreme liberalism, for the lack of a more moderate choice.

News Analysis: Electoral Affirmation of Shared Values Provides Bush a Majority

It is impossible to read President Bush's re-election as anything other than a confirmation that this is a center-right country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/politics/campaign/04assess.html?ex=1100570677&ei=1&en=c7dd6015b2c5baa1
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:07 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Did my morals come into play in deciding who to vote for in this election? To some degree, of course... but we are electing someone to run the country and execute laws.

You are as confused as Bush on this matter. The president does not execute laws.

And, like it or not, the lumping of Kerry supporters into some group of "ammorals" is not beneficial to the cause of uniting the country. Many red state residents might be surprised to learn we blue voters also have morals, attend church, believe in loving one man/one woman relationships and would not choose abortion for ourselves, while understanding the need for such to be legal for cases where a womans health or life is in danger.

The whole "moral" issue as a voting method is only going to continue to divide us since the "moral majority" is hell bent on sending us back to puritan times and witch hunts.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
squinney wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Did my morals come into play in deciding who to vote for in this election? To some degree, of course... but we are electing someone to run the country and execute laws.

You are as confused as Bush on this matter. The president does not execute laws.

I'm sure this is semantics causing confusion, as I'm sure CR meant "execute" in the sense of "carry out," not "create."
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm
Yes I did Ticomaya, thanks.

Squinney, I was not here or anywhere else saying that democrats do not have morals. I'm sorry you think I did. The question was how or what morality issues may have affected the way people voted. This then devolved into a discussion specific to Kerry's stated view on abortion. My statements had nothing to do with how Kerry supporters might think about abortion or any other moral issue. I have critiqued Kerry's position and why I believe it is nonsensical.

As to the issue of abortion where a woman's health is at risk, my understanding from all I have read is that this is an issue in such a minute number of abortions as to be nearly a non-issue. I would never argue against any woman who makes a decision to abort if it comes down to a decision between the child's life or hers.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:56 pm
Actually CoastalRat - both sides of the abortion issue believe killing (murder) a child is wrong. The difference is the belief of when human life begins. Since this is a moral belief and not a "proven" fact then it is wrong to force this belief on others. Having pre-martial sex is wrong according to most Christian beliefs, however this is not illegal. Some Muslims believe that women should have their faces covered, but would you want that enforced on you? No.

I understand what you are saying, but I still feel especially for some one working for the government that it is necessary to separate church and state. What if we had a Muslim President? Would you want that President to enforce his/her beliefs on you because of his moral beliefs? If you cannot separate your church beliefs (on others) from your job as a government representative then you are in the wrong position.

My point exactly princesspupule.

I see your point CoastalRat - my thinking was illegal not right or wrong. That is the viewpoint I was pursuing. It is legal and should be because of the differences of opinions, but it is still wrong for anyone believing that birth begins at conception. Now the question is - does Kerry say it is right vs. whether it should be legal or not.

I think you hit it on the nose tiger. I am a moderate and that is why I think I had such a difficult time deciding between the two. I did not particular care for either one. There were issues I agreed with both, but never completely.
0 Replies