Election: Morals and Values?

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:10 pm
Linkat wrote:
Actually CoastalRat - both sides of the abortion issue believe killing (murder) a child is wrong. The difference is the belief of when human life begins. Since this is a moral belief and not a "proven" fact then it is wrong to force this belief on others.

And this is the crux of the abortion issue. When does human life begin? Science does not know. You and I do not know. And admittedly, people of faith do not know beyond all doubt. That said, I for one would rather err on the side of caution than on the other side. If life does begin at conception, then I would rather stand up for that life than take that life.

You say neither side wishes to kill a child. That's nice. So when is that tissue a child? You cannot say. Yet the pro-abortion crowd insists they know it is not a child until birth, otherwise partial birth abortions would be seen as illegal.

I did not mean to turn much of this thread into an abortion debate. Only to highlight one reason morals came into play in this election. I believe Kerry's position to be contradictory. Others do not. I respect that.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:21 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Actually CoastalRat - both sides of the abortion issue believe killing (murder) a child is wrong. The difference is the belief of when human life begins. Since this is a moral belief and not a "proven" fact then it is wrong to force this belief on others.

And this is the crux of the abortion issue. When does human life begin? Science does not know. You and I do not know. And admittedly, people of faith do not know beyond all doubt. That said, I for one would rather err on the side of caution than on the other side. If life does begin at conception, then I would rather stand up for that life than take that life.

You say neither side wishes to kill a child. That's nice. So when is that tissue a child? You cannot say. Yet the pro-abortion crowd insists they know it is not a child until birth, otherwise partial birth abortions would be seen as illegal.

I did not mean to turn much of this thread into an abortion debate. Only to highlight one reason morals came into play in this election. I believe Kerry's position to be contradictory. Others do not. I respect that.

But, if it's a moral belief, then what makes one standard the right one? It would then follow that rape and incest victims would have to give birth, failed birth control measures would necessitate fruition of the womb, the morning-after pill would become illegal... And if a woman smokes or comes in contact with a contaminate that harms her fetus she would/could be guilty of child abuse or murder...

And of course, once upon a time, the moral belief was that a man had the right to beat his wife or children, and there could be no such thing as marital rape... And of course interracial unions were all abominations... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:32 pm
Squinney makes a great point about red state vs. blue state morals, consider the following facts:

Seeing Mass is viewed as one of the most liberal states, I will use this as a blue state value. Massachusetts has one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates (number 6 overall). Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Dakota and Vermont are the only ones that have less. Of the highest ten,, 9 are southern (red) states! Texas rates 49th!

As far as lowest amount of unwed births, Mass. rates as 8th. Texas does much better here at 23rd. But of the 10 highest unwed mothers, 8 are southern (red) states!

As far as lowest divorce rates - Mass is number one with the lowest divorce rate. Texas comes in 38th. With 9 out of the 10 highest divorce rates occurring in southern states!

Lowest crime rate - Mass again is number one! Texas is 30, whereas 8 out of highest crime rate states are from the south (red)!

Basically in a study conducted by the CRC, most "moral/value" issues Massachusetts rated very high. Except for one category - number of drug induced deaths. As a matter of fact Mass is ranked 5th best state to raise a child. Of the worst 10, 9 are southern - red states.

The CDC also agrees with these findings, stating .."States with proporations of births to unmarried mothers higher than the national value can be found throughout the United States. However, some parts of the country, most notably the Southeast, stand out with most of the States in the region having relatively high proportions of births occurring to unmarried mothers." A chart of the US also reflects Mass as having the lowest percentage of unmarried births by State. Along with similar results of teenage pregnancies.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52/nvsr52_19acc.pdf
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:34 pm
Linkat wrote:
I look at voting for President almost like hiring an employee. We are basically hiring our President. Doesn't it make more sense to "hire" some one you feel is qualified best for the job rather than some one who shares your same moral values?

What if the person you were hiring demonstrated a tendency to bring their moral views, religious and otherwise, into the office, and to use them to make decisions on things like scientific research for the company?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:38 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Here's an idea.

The Dems would have a chance at winning an election IF they stop insulting the beliefs of the majority of voters and craft a campaign advocating what the majority believe.

The same could be said for the Republicans, and they had a candidate who did just that, John McCain. But the Conservative wing of the Republican party pushed their own choice for a candidate rather than the moderate candidate.

I guess the republicans did the right thing, since they won. Maybe the Dems need to move to the center more. I'm not sure which strategy is better, more center or more extreme, but I guess if you're losing (Dems), then you have to try something.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:42 pm
Larry434 wrote:
It's deceiving when you don't know the demographics of those small dots of blue -- they are usually the more densely populated areas.

That they are.

The common (and reasonable) rationale for this is that people in cities tend to need more government services and therefor don't mind paying for them (Dems). People in rural areas are much more self sufficient and tend not to want to waste taxes (repubs) paying for things they don't need (usually things in cities).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:48 pm
Re: Election: Morals and Values?
tigerifictiger wrote:
People want a candidate who is moderate and in the center with values, not too to one extreme or the other. This election was unusual in that one candidate was so to the left while the other was so to the right. The election was very polarizing because there was no middle ground. When it came down to it, people just felt safer with Bush's faith-based and conservative social values over the slippery slope of extreme liberalism, for the lack of a more moderate choice.

I would like to agree with this assessment, since I tend to be moderate across a range of topics.

But then the question I have is, "why are we continually saddled with two extreme choices", when either party should be able to field a moderate candidate who should win? Why are the two candidates so extreme in their liberal/conservative cubby holes?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I would never argue against any woman who makes a decision to abort if it comes down to a decision between the child's life or hers.

But isn't this exactly what the partial birth abortion ban limits, a woman's right to choose her own life in a situation in which a choice must be made?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:35 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
But isn't this exactly what the partial birth abortion ban limits, a woman's right to choose her own life in a situation in which a choice must be made?

No, it doesn't. The name "partial birth abortion" was what the Democrats in the Congress gave a bill that limits the method by which a late term abortion can be done. The law doesn't eliminate late term abortions. It eliminates one of two or three methods of performing those abortions.

Several hundered doctors including the guy that developed the procedure in question and the head of the group that represents OB/GYNs all testified that there is no case conceivable where there wouldn't be an alternate procedure available.

IMO, not being able to choose one of a few methods for getting something done is very different than not being able to get something done at all.
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:27 pm
Re: Election: Morals and Values?
then the question I have is, "why are we continually saddled with two extreme choices", when either party should be able to field a moderate candidate who should win? Why are the two candidates so extreme in their liberal/conservative cubby holes?[/quote]

Exactly I wonder the same thing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:47 am
Rosborne - Basically some one who would use this type of information to make decisions on scientific research would not be qualified for the job. If after hiring some one I found they were doing this, they would be meeting their job qualifications and would be dealt with as if some one not making a deadline or other type of work related performance. Also, if this person were pushing moral views to other employees, s/he would be reported to HR to deal with as that sort of behavior is unacceptable too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
fishin' wrote:
IMO, not being able to choose one of a few methods for getting something done is very different than not being able to get something done at all.

I agree. I wasn't sure of the details of the bill.

Thanks for the clarification.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:54 am
Linkat wrote:
Rosborne - Basically some one who would use this type of information to make decisions on scientific research would not be qualified for the job.

So are you saying that the president is not qualified for the job? Because he seems to be doing exactly this, using personal moral judgements to affect scientific progress.

Or are you saying that it is the job of the president to impose these types of moral decisions? And if so, then does this conflict with the first amendment?

Linkat wrote:
Also, if this person were pushing moral views to other employees, s/he would be reported to HR to deal with as that sort of behavior is unacceptable too.

President Bush is known to open cabinet meetings with prayers and such. He doesn't just pray by himself, or ask for a moment of quiet while he does what he wants, he asks everyone to pray with him. Is this "pushing", or are people just being asked to endure?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:07 pm
That is completely my argument rosborne. Like I said it seems ironic that these same things that would be unacceptable in the business world and in some cases would be considered prejudiced and possibly illegal is allowed in government positions.

You are also mixing up scientific research and scientific progress. But that does not even effect what I was trying to say.

Having a prayer at the opening of a meeting in the business world would not fly at all! It just would not even happen. Not that we would not allow prayer if that was in some one's faith. We even had a prayer room so that a Muslim employee to meet the requirements of his faith.
0 Replies