Excessive Force?

revelette1

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:57 am
@layman,
Since most of that wasn't on film that I could see, we only have the officer's word for all that took place outside of the video. In any case, at the very point he threw her down, she wasn't doing anything to warrant it.

On your great, great, grandson, it is none of my business. Of course I have a response, but, perhaps you could sit him down next down. Sounds like he was begging for some attention from his granddaddy.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:03 am
@revelette1,
I agree with McGentrix and Revelette.

A police officer is a professional. They are there to do a job; which involves protecting and serving. They should do this job with the minimal amount of force necessary.

There are gray areas where the police officer needs to quickly make the decision that the safety of himself or others requires the use of force. Some of the videos I have seen are genuinely questionable.

This video isn't one of them. I can't see any way that this girl can be considered a threat.

The idea that it is the responsibility of citizens to act professionally around police officers is ridiculous. Police Officer is a job title that comes with professional responsibility. Citizen isn't.

layman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:13 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I agree with McGentrix and Revelette.

A police officer is a professional. They are there to do a job; which involves protecting and serving. They should do this job with the minimal amount of force necessary.

There are gray areas where the police officer needs to quickly make the decision that the safety of himself or others requires the use of force. Some of the videos I have seen are genuinely questionable.

This video isn't one of them. I can't see any way that this girl can be considered a threat.

The idea that it is the responsibility of citizens to act professionally around police officers is ridiculous. Police Officer is a job title that comes with professional responsibility. Citizen isn't.

Nice try, Max. The duties to refrain from attacking police officers, resisting arrest, and trying to prevent cops from performing their duties are imposed on every citizen. Using the euphemism "unprofessional" doesn't change that. Call it what it is: criminality.

This woman wasn't gunna be arrested without resistance. What "should" the cop have done? Jerked her arm up behind her back, pushed her into a wall, and then handcuffed her, while she's still on her feet, kicking and fighting? I wouldn't wanna get kicked in the shins with those spiked heels if I was him.
Was it "absolutely necessary" to throw her to the ground. Naw. Was it "excessive?" No big deal, she's probably fallen flat on her face trying to walk around drunk in her stiletto heels plenty of time, ya know?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:35 am
@layman,
I have been in a position of authority Layman; as a high school teacher. I was even physically assaulted once, and had to respond quickly in a way that was appropriate given the situation that ensured my own safety as well as the safety of the classroom.

When you are in a position of authority you act with as little physical force as possible. When a student is being disruptive, you de-escalate the situation first. Then you set limits until the student is ready to be removed (and take whatever consequences they have earned).

I have no sympathy for this police officer. As an authority, I was able to act in a professional way. The police officer should do the same. As a teacher, it is my job to act professionally in any situation. It is not my students' "job" to obey the rules. They need to, and there are consequences if they don't... but I had the professional responsibility. I had unequal authority and unequal responsibility in these circumstances.

I think what happened here is his feelings got hurt, and he reacted out of anger rather than thinking about the best way to de-escalate the situation and get his job done.
layman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:55 am
@maxdancona,
Well, Max, you're gunna tell everyone else how to do their job, eh?

If I was a high school teacher, and some kid came up and punched me in the face, the FIRST thing I would do would be to knock him on his ass. After that, maybe we can get all touchy-feely and "talk," eh?

Quote:
It is not my students' "job" to obey the rules.

No, and it's not their "job" to refrain from bring AK-47's into the classroom and gunning down everybody there, either, now, is it?

Is there any excuse you criminal molly-coddlers won't try to make to exonerate law-breakers and blame the police?

Quote:
I think what happened here is his feelings got hurt, and he reacted out of anger rather than thinking about the best way to de-escalate the situation and get his job done.

Yeah, I agree. He ran out of patience with the skank.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Well, he explains why he had to do it, and he makes perfect sense, of course.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 06:00 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

You sure you are not using satire in some of your post to make points you don't want to come out and make for some reason?

Good question...
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 06:25 pm
@layman,
layman, representing the best of America.

Now you all know why there are all the rapes when US forces have always illegally invaded sovereign nations, why there have been myriad vicious tortures, why there have been the tens of millions slaughtered because the big brave guys up there at 35,000 feet carpet bombing civilians are no different from the guys on the ground machine gunning civilians, no different from the guys out many miles away on ships "shocking and aweing" the very folks that they have come to save for freedom and democracy.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 01:56 am
@revelette1,
Some years back I was campin in the State Park at Morro Bay, CA, with a Babe who was my main squeeze at the time. The was a bar in town, probably the only bar, that had live music and drew relatively big crowds. It was about an 8 block walk from the park, so we walked there to check it out.

We sat at the bar and ordered drinks. The place was packed to the gills, you had to weave through the crowd to cross the room. It was a perfect opportunity to pick some pockets, so I told my girl I'd be back in a spell, and headed into the crowd.

We I got back, about 20 minutes later, there was a bulldyke in my seat. She had been buying my girl drinks. She had a "DA" haircut--flat on top and slicked back with butch wax on the sides. It was a warm night, but she was wearing a black leather jacket with sequins all over it. She had a heavy chain around he waist for a belt that jangled every time she moved, and was wearing steel-toed combat boots.

I took one look at that disgusting mess and said to my girl: "C'mon, let's go." As she started to get up, this bitch grabbed her arm and told her to finish her drink. I knocked her hand away and pulled my girl toward the door.

We left, and started walking back toward camp. Within a few seconds the bulldyke came out and got into a customized pick-up truck that was jacked so high off the ground that you needed a step ladder to get into it. It had tractor tires, lots of chrome, a paint job which featured burning flames, and was just as phony as the bitch driving it. As we walked down the sidewalk, the bulldyke keep revving the engine up past the redline, making a thunderous noise.

Finally, when we got about a block away, she put that truck in gear and headed toward us, burning rubber as she came. Then she suddenly swerved the truck right in front of us, blocking the sidewalk ahead, and almost hitting us. I put a big dent in her door with my fist and she jumped out, ready to to battle. She had a chain wrapped around her hand and took a wild-ass swing at me, missing badly. I gave her a hard straight right to her sorry face, and she folded. I'm sure I broke her nose and I saw at least one of her teeth fall to the sidewalk. She crumbled to ground, spewing blood like crazy, and we went around the truck, got back on the sidewalk, and kept walking.

After walking a few more blocks, we started to hear sirens back that way. We just kept walking.

There was no way in hell I was going to try to explain to anybody what happened. I figured I would be charged and arrested no matter what the circumstances. You DON'T EVER hit a woman. You just don't. Do anything else, run for you life, or whatever but you can NOT defend yourself. Women are such "special," innocent things, ya know.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 03:29 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I think this is the kind of action that puts good police officers in mortal danger.

"Mortal danger," Gent? How does it do that? Because it gives people justifiable reason to get pissed off and go execute a random cop, that the idea?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 03:33 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I don't care if she spit in his face called him a million vulgar names and stepped on his toes. There is nothing short of pulling a fire arm on the cop that would have required a response like that.

I don't think your idea about what cops are paid to do quite fits in with the mainstream notion, Gent.

If it was cop's job to passively submit to illegal physical attacks from abusive citizens, no one would agree to be a cop.
layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 03:49 am
Kinda brings to mind another run-in a had with one of my deadbeat relatives. A nephew had a 5-pointed "sheriff's badge" that he wore around his neck on a chain. While I was preoccupied, he took that chain off his neck and began swinging that star in a circle at full speed.

He snuck up on me and hit me in the eye with one of the points (I almost lost that eye). Instinctively, I grabbed his arm so he couldn't swing it anymore.

He immediately screamed out a whining complaint that I had "hurt" his arm. He could blind me, sure, that's OK, but it just wasn't fair to try to stop him.

That's just the way a four-year old thinks, I guess. And others, much older, sometimes.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 06:58 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
I don't care if she spit in his face called him a million vulgar names and stepped on his toes. There is nothing short of pulling a fire arm on the cop that would have required a response like that.

I don't think your idea about what cops are paid to do quite fits in with the mainstream notion, Gent.

If it was cop's job to passively submit to illegal physical attacks from abusive citizens, no one would agree to be a cop.

Your anecdote's are fun to read. I didn't say that a "cop's job to passively submit to illegal physical attacks from abusive citizens,". You are putting words where they didn't exist.

I was talking about that cop at that time and the reaction he had. He could have spun her around and hand cuffed her for example. There are a lot of things he could have done that didn't involve slamming her face first to the floor.

I'm not sure where you've decided that I make sweeping generalizations as I very rarely do.
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:00 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I'm not sure where you've decided that I make sweeping generalizations as I very rarely do.

That sounds just like an oralloy phony denial, McGentrix.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:34 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I don't care if she spit in his face called him a million vulgar names and stepped on his toes. There is nothing short of pulling a fire arm on the cop that would have required a response like that.He could have spun her around and hand cuffed her for example. There are a lot of things he could have done that didn't involve slamming her face first to the floor.

Sure there are "lots" of other things he could have done. He could have struggled with her while she was trying to break her toes, treating her very gently all the while. The question is: why should he?

camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:38 am
@layman,
So many American idiots live in a movieland fantasy world. Present company excluded of course.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 11:41 am
@layman,
I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed in that scene. A real hero would have played along, and we could have watched a prolonged fight scene where he was using his bullwhip against the Arab's sword.

He didn't have to take decisive steps to end all escalation, and all risk to himself, then and there. He coulda played around for while, at least. If he had been badly cut and was bleeding to death, then I could see him hauling out a gun, maybe.

Then I figured out his real motivation: Islamophobia. He didn't want to have to look at that stinking arab for a single second longer than he had to. Viewed in that light, I understood perfectly.
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 11:51 am
@layman,
Do you always have these long discussions with yourself, layman?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 11:51 am
@layman,
Hey, be sure you let me know if you want to return to the topic we had.
layman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 12:12 pm
@McGentrix,
You won't see this as the same topic, Gent, but it is. Remember when palestinians in the Gaza strip were launching missles into Israel 24/7, trying to provoke a response?

The jews would place phone calls to headquarters of terrorists they were about to bomb, giving them a 5 to 10 minutes warning to get all the people out.

Did they? Hell, no. They would use that 10 minutes to round up every kid within blocks and pack them into the target. Then of course they would bemoan their fate and claim that the montrous jews were committing genocide.

1. One claim they would make would be that their rockets didn't hit anything, so there never should have been any attempt to stop them in the first place.

2. But they would haul out that line of "reasoning" if their first ploy failed. That ploy was to act as if there were never any provocation in the first place.

3. But their main ally in promoting such claims was the ideology of the victim, which basically holds that any action by the victim, no matter how obscene, is justified, and that any retaliation, now matter how restrained, by the "aggressor" is prima facie criminal. The MSM subscribed to this ideology, and promoted it incessantly.