What people have achieved a mythical status?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:50 pm
@camlok,
Whenever someone does or doesn't respond to one of your screeds you very often call them cowards.

I asked you two simple questions that you seem to be dodging.

Coward?
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I asked you two simple questions that you seem to be dodging.

Coward?

Nope, I am working on that as we speak, Finn. At least one of them. I can't recall that there were two.

If at any time you think I am avoiding any issue please don't hesitate to remind me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 04:02 pm
@camlok,
There were two.

Reminder
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 04:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What's the second one?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 07:05 pm
@camlok,
Read the effin original post
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 07:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You don't have to be nasty, and evil!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 07:07 pm
@camlok,
You don't have to be obtuse and cowardly
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 07:12 pm
@coluber2001,
Malory's Le Morte Darthur, heavily abridged, was printed by William Caxton in 1485. That's almost a thousand years after the probable date of the battle of Badon Hill. It is not to be considered a reliable, historical source.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 03:54 am
There is plenty of evidence that Arthur existed. I've been to his grave.

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Former_Gravesite_King_Arthur_GlastonburyAbbey-640x532.jpg

The evidence is inconclusive and unsubstantial, but it's still evidence.

Then there's this bloke. He claims to be the reincarnation of Arthur, and even if he is barking mad he's far more fun to be with than the sanctimonious, killjoy, neo rationalists who like to pretend they're cleverer than anyone else.

https://assets.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/no-slug/a343dc07211768d3670dba9ce3783188.jpg

coluber2001

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:00 am
@izzythepush,
If Arthur did or didn't exist, it seems that the myth has transcended the man.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:22 am
@coluber2001,
Whether Arthur did or didn't exist, it seems that the myth has transcended the man. This is exactly what I'm talking about, where the actual person is submerged by the myth that surrounds him, and it reaches the point where it doesn't matter if that person really existed or not, although in the case of Beethoven, he had to exist or the music wouldn't. So there are different orders of myths.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:23 am
@coluber2001,
It inspired the way Edward III organised his whole court, even going as far as creating his own round table, later given a paint job by Henry VIII to include the Tudor rose and now hanging just down the road from me in Winchester.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Winchester_-_Table_ronde_du_roi_Arthur.JPG/220px-Winchester_-_Table_ronde_du_roi_Arthur.JPG
saab

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:36 am
How about Hamlet?
He is buried here and there in Denmark. Kronborg is the castle where he is supposed to have lived. Rosenkrans and Gyldenstjerne were some real people in Denmark and who probably visited GB.
Hamlet never excisted.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:42 am
@coluber2001,
How do you see Beethoven, in any sense, being a mythic figure?

Unless there is a consensus that his music was second rate (and there certainly isn't) then he deserves his status (which I would argue isn't in the least overblown)
saab

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:46 am
@izzythepush,
I have been to Winchester a couple of times and really like the city. Also went to see the round table. The cathedral I went to and enjoyed a tour and a chuch service.
Both times we enjoyed a very good fish and chips in the pub just by the Cathedral.
The first time I visited Winchester with my husband and we had dinner a couple of times in this pub - really enjoying the fish and chips.
Second time I was there by coach and we were supposed to have a guided tour of the Cathedral at 11 and free time between 12 and 13 and at 13.00 hours the bus left.
Three people talked about fish and chips while we waiting for the guided tour. I told them about the pub, rushed over and ordered four sets for 12 o´clock. Wanted to pay right away ( a woman comes rushing in - orders and leave) No, no can wait. Back at 12 and got our fish and chips.
If you ever get to that pub - say hello and tell them I still long for their good fish and chips.
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:51 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
How do you see Beethoven, in any sense, being a mythic figure?

Because there is a nuance that you seem to be unaware of.

2. extremely large or great in a way that does not seem real
MacMillan
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/mythic#mythic_4
==========
2. adjective
If you describe someone or something as mythic, you mean that they have become very famous or important.
...a team whose reputation has achieved mythic proportions.
His rapid rise to power has given him a near-mythic status in the industry.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/mythic
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 09:59 am
@saab,
There's a few pubs by the cathedral, I think the one you visited is on the corner. The best fish and chips in the area is in Bishop's Waltham at this place.
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/07/ee/9a/f5/the-entrance.jpg

I go for a drive to get them, Southampton has lousy fish and chips.

http://w0.fast-meteo.com/locationmaps/Bishops-Waltham.8.gif
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:06 am
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
So, lying and making up facts then?
Nuts to you, too.

Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
There is no evidence that I know of that says Davy Crockett owned slaves.
No, but the people behind the rebellion with Crockett were mostly slaveowners like Jim Bowie and William Travis, and the entire rebellion was about making Texas a separate republic where slavery would be legal. Slavery was not legal in Mexico. Sounds close enough to call Crockett a slavemaster to me, but if you want to be picky, I hereby modify my description to call Crockett a slavemaster's acolyte.

Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
Also your "facts" "trying to make Texas a republic so they legally institute slavery" is really stupid and makes you appear ignorant.
Ungrammatical, perhaps, but how was it ignorant? Slavery was illegal in Mexico, Crockett, Travis and Bowie were trying to establish Texas as an independent nation where slavery was legal. Historical accuracy make you allergic, or something?

camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:08 am
@Blickers,
Unnnnn, did you miss the Texas Historical Association description of racist, slavery Texas?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:18 am
@camlok,
So how does Beethoven's greatness seem unreal?