I just voted...

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:21 am
I had to show my drivers licence (Connecticut). It did not make any particular difference though. In the small rural district I live and vote in, everyone knows everyone else.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:26 am
There are already a ton of lawsuits being filed. This is what I posted on another thread:

There is a push to print 900,000 ballots for the election in a city where the total population of Milwaukee is: 596,974 in 2000 and 593,920 in 2004 The total number of people who are of legal voting age in Milwaukee in 2004: 423,811

Total votes cast in 2000 fall election: 245,670 Total votes cast in 2002 fall election: 141,351 (pre-registration of 335,889)

The conspiracy theory comes to play when you take into account an eye witness that claims to have observed voter registration fraud:

Quote:
On his 10/5/04 Late Afternoon Show, Mark Belling, talk show host on Newstalk 1130 WISN, conducted a chilling interview of a woman, "Katie," who had witnessed blatant complicity by the City of Milwaukee Election Commission in WISCONSIN DEMOCRAT ELECTION FRAUD.

Belling's interviewee said that she overheard a city of Milwaukee election official encourage a registration operative to FORGE signatures on voter registration applications.

"Katie" related that on or about 10/4/04, she was in the office of the Milwaukee Election Commission. In walked an operative carrying a stack of voter registration applications, asking to file these forms. The applications were not signed by the person who had solicited them.

Katie said that an election commission clerk suggested to the operative just FORGE THE SIGNATURE of the person who had solicited the applications.

Belling also had this to say:

Quote:
An outfit called the "New Voter Project" claims to be nonpartisan but is being bankrolled and staffed by leftists. The organization is already active in Wisconsin and already involved in trouble. Thousands of "voters" registered by this group in the last few weeks have submitted registration forms without the legally required proof of identification. This has forced village and city clerks all over the region to send out notices asking for the information.

Virtually none of the forms sent out by the local clerks to the shady registrants have been responded to. The only plausible explanation for that is that the "voters" not only aren't voters but aren't real people, either.

Here's the method to the New Voter Project madness. In Wisconsin, you can register to vote at the polls on Election Day. You have to produce identification when you register. But sending in a phony registration in advance puts you on the voter list before the election. Already-registered voters don't have to show any identification. By putting perhaps thousands of fake names on the voter lists, it will be possible for fraudsters to show up at the polls and simply claim to be the person who was already "registered."

One former employee of the New Voter Project has told me that many staffers simply took names out of the telephone book to fill out their daily quotas. He quit his job in fear there'd be a criminal investigation.

Now, the New Voter Project is turning in thousands of dubious voter registration forms and the organization is run by a woman who has already been linked to election fraud. Bush better get 52 percent of the actual vote in Wisconsin because at least 2 percent of the Kerry vote is going to come from cheaters.

Now why would there need to be so many ballots in a city that onty has 423,811 people of legal voting age? Eric Holder, a former Clinton Justice Department official who is now on the Democratic party's "Election Task Force," stated: "If every vote is allowed to be cast, and if every vote is counted, John Kerry will be president within a day of that election."

The idea is that New Voter Project is making all of these faulty voter registrations and will simply show up at the polls and ask for a provisional ballot. You don't need an id to vote provisional (You are supposed to prove your identity at a later date). But the democrats will simply file law suits to make sure that every vote is counted no matter if identity is proved or not. There is nothing stopping them from traveling from district to district and casting as many votes as they possibly can. In a close state like Wisconsin a few thousand votes will make all of the difference. They have already begun the process in Ohio.

My guess is once all the votes have been counted in Wisconsin... if it is close enough to be worth contesting, the loser, no matter what party it is will file lawsuits. Democrats will claim voter suppression becasue the Republicans are contesting registrations. If Kerry wins the republicans will file lawsuits claiming voter fraud. I am really expecting the worse here.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
I voted at 8:30 this morning. There's no need for registered voters to show any i.d. in Illinois: the judges check the voter's signature against the one on the list. I saw some people hand the judges their voter registration cards, but it wasn't necessary and I didn't.

There were about 25 people ahead of me in line, and I waited about 20 minutes before voting. A woman who was trying to get a provisional ballot was causing a good deal of confusion among the election judges; it seems she didn't have any kind of i.d. that showed her current address. Helping her through the process was the Democratic precinct captain (hey, this is Chicago, remember). Indeed, about five party precinct workers were gathered a sufficient distance from the polling place, helpfully offering sample ballots to the voters as they approached.

Lots of lawn signs for Barack Obama near the polling place, don't recall seeing any Kerry/Edwards signs. No GOP signs of any kind; if there are any Republicans in my precinct, they know enough to lie low this time of year.

Despite the weather (drizzling, wet, cold, grey, miserable) and the lack of any competitive races, voter turnout is expected to be high in Chicago and across Illinois.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:37 am
BBB
I'm the volunteer Precinct Captain for my district. My first call from headquarters this morning was at 5:15 am from my 22-year old staff person from California named "Sky". She is sooo sweet and energetic.

I will be making telephone calls all day until the polls close. I won't be going door to door to get out the vote because of my disabilities, so it's the least I can do.

I stocked up on food to offer to the people who are going door to door. They will have a place to eat, get warm and use the toilet. It's 42 degrees in Albuquerque, but not too windy.

I'm so very pleased at the reports of a huge voter turn-out across the country. Kind of restores my hopes for my country.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:29 am
Go BBB!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:35 am
Thanks to you all for the reports.

Independent observers for sure.

Einherjar wrote:
So, what happens when the observers call the election invalid?

I think that then one of the top judges could be become interim president.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
Actually, no, none of the Supreme Court justices become President unless any of them are running (they aren't). In the event of a contested election, the House of Representatives selects the President. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleii.html#section1 also known as Article One, Section 1 of the US Constitution.

I voted today, at 12:33 PM (approximately :-D). It took about 10 minutes. Like George, they just asked for my address, but there was no need for ID, a signature or even me swearing that I'm, uh, me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:14 pm
(Cut and paste from Bookie thread):

Report from Ohio:

For the record, the ballot was NOT that abomination that nimh posted a while ago.

I wish it were -- no paper trail at all the way I did it. :-( (Should've voted early.)

It was just a big sheet of paper up against a machine, with lights flashing through the paper. Then you pushed on a square corresponding to your candidate, and the light for that section went steady, (stopped flashing).

Nader wasn't on the ballot. ("Candidate removed" sticker over his name.)

ID was required, and I had to sign next to a print-out of my signature when I registered. This was checked against my driver's license signature, too.

Didn't seem to be any observers.

My husband voted this morning and was in line for an hour and a half -- he asked them then when would be the best/ quickest time to vote, and they said around 2:00, so that's when I went. One person in line in front of me, about 8 people in line by the time I was done, passed a lot more people coming in as I left. So I think high turnout, just good timing. Remarkably painless.

I'm a nervous wreck, though.

Oh my informal tally showed 4 Kerry/Edwards bumperstickers, one W bumpersticker, 3 Kerry buttons, and no Bush buttons. Plus a beat-up truck of some kind with a big handmade sign on the back of it saying, "Same Sex Marriage????"
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:14 pm
I gave blood the day before and they made VERY sure that I was me. Maybe the Red Cross should run the elections.
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
Voted a little after noon and there were no lines at that time but a steady stream of people coming and going. No id was required. It was a fairly painless procedure. I say "fairly" painless because I had my 3 1/2 year old with me. Glad it is OVER.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
I'll second that caveat. My little monster was extremely squirmy and kept threatening to scoot under the curtain and be gone. As I was discussing the lack of paper trail with a poll worker she pounded me on the leg and said, "Mama, I'm not having ANY fun at ALL!!"

Grr.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
I just came back, myself. No line, but an orderly flow of people in and out... I had to present I.D. I showed my drivers license. Then I signed my name on the dotted line...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:57 pm
I voted this morning. Our voting place is three doors down at the local church. I was there 10 minutes early, and was the 7th person to vote. They only had one machine to process the ballots, and several times it made the most god awful sound in trying to feed in the large voting sheets.

They didn't require my i.d., but they did require my signature. And they also had my address wrong, although they had my wife's address as being correct.

They got a good laugh when I told them we were still married and living together.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
I just returned from my 3rd trip shuttling voters to the polls. when i voted at 8am. it was crowded, but on the subsequent trips i made carrying local residents without the means to get to the polls revealed no long lines.

5/1 repug registration, but i'm trying to lower that ratio at the polls today in these parts.

i wore my red sox hat and springsteen "born to run" shirt into the polling center! and only the dem poll worker knew what i was doing and winked at me when i tugged my hat at her!

also, i brought chicken, cookies, soft drinks, apples and oranges to the poll workers, all sweet ladies who thanked me since they can not leave the center all day. i shook each of their hands and thanked them for volunteering to help democracy work.

the dem worker told me that the dem turnout was very high in the precinct.

i drive 8 people from my rural neighborhood to the polls today, all dems! they were great rides over to the polls. we know bush wins in georgia, but solidarity my friends, solidarity!

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041102/i/r2283419978.jpg

No retreat, No surrender. It's time to take our country back from the neo-fascists.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:12 pm
I live in a rural area--the Election Workers knew my name. Three voting booths (pull lever type) were supervised by two little old ladies with blue hair and a young rebel male with a earring.

Ten in the morning and the young rebel male was flagging--with 10 hours to go.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:14 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'll second that caveat. My little monster was extremely squirmy and kept threatening to scoot under the curtain and be gone. As I was discussing the lack of paper trail with a poll worker she pounded me on the leg and said, "Mama, I'm not having ANY fun at ALL!!"

LOL!

Too cute ...

And she's gonna be such a li'l brat, too ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
OK, so I'm mystified by your whole voting process. What on earth turned it into such a mess?! Or was it always such a mess, but people cared less?

This is how it goes here. Three or four weeks before the election, every Dutch citizen of voting age gets sent his voting card in the mail, with your name on it and with the address of your voting "bureau" (precinct?). Usually in some school or city government building or neighbourhood centre or library or whatever ... last time it was in the small IT company around the corner.

On election day (voting times, 7:30-21:00), you go there. If you live in a city, you dont ever have to walk more than five minutes - and there's rarely any line whatsoever, probably simply because there's enough of these precincts. You hand one of the three staffers your card. No voter card, no vote. If you came to the wrong precinct, you also do not get to vote there - but since the precincts are close to one another and there's rarely a line there, it's not a big deal to go to the right place after all. He tells your name to the second person, who checks it with their list of voters for the precinct (this way, there's always more persons involved). They keep the card, and check your name off. The third person hands you your ballot (or nowadays, points you to the computer). You vote - in the old days, by crossing the box in front of the name of your candidate on the ballot with the red pencil they gave you; nowadays by pushing the button in front of his name on the computer screen. Done.

Why do you have to register first in order to vote, in the first place, in America? Why don't all citizens just automatically get their voter card? I dont know of any other country where citizens first have to register separately in order to vote. Why are there such long lines? People waiting for 1,5, 2 hours, that's prepostorous! I only know that from the TV images when there's elections in some third world country. No wonder turnout is so low! Why all the different kinds of ballots? I know you combine different elections, but couldn't you make one separate, nationally uniform presidential ballot? And why, and why not - a dozen other questions that just boggle the mind of this foreigner!

One thing I gotta give to ya. Most voting districts here have switched from paper ballots to voting computers the last decade - and before concerned Democrats in America started discussing the lack of a paper trail, I hadnt even ever thought about it. Can't see why one couldnt have print-out slips or something, thats a good point. But otherwise voting here seems so infinitely ... simple, compared to your situations!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:44 pm
nimh wrote:
OK, so I'm mystified by your whole voting process. What on earth turned it into such a mess?! Or was it always such a mess, but people cared less?

This is how it goes here. Three or four weeks before the election, every Dutch citizen of voting age gets sent his voting card in the mail, with your name on it and with the address of your voting "bureau" (precinct?). Usually in some school or city government building or neighbourhood centre or library or whatever ... last time it was in the small IT company around the corner.

On election day (voting times, 7:30-20:00, I believe), you go there. If you live in a city, you dont ever have to walk more than five minutes - and there's rarely any line whatsoever, probably simply because there's enough of these precincts. You hand one of the three staffers your card. No voter card, no vote. If you came to the wrong precinct, you also do not get to vote there - but since the precincts are close to one another and there's rarely a line there, it's not a big deal to go to the right place after all. He tells your name to the second person, who checks it with their list of voters for the precinct (this way, there's always more persons involved). They keep the card, and check your name off. The third person hands you your ballot (or nowadays, points you to the computer). You vote - in the old days, by crossing the box in front of the name of your candidate on the ballot with the red pencil they gave you; nowadays by pushing the button in front of his name on the computer screen. Done.

Why do you have to register first in order to vote, in the first place, in America? Why don't all citizens just automatically get their voter card? I dont know of any other country where citizens first have to register separately in order to vote. Why are there such long lines? People waiting for 1,5, 2 hours, that's prepostorous! I only know that from the TV images when there's elections in some third world country. No wonder turnout is so low! Why all the different kinds of ballots? I know you combine different elections, but couldn't you make one separate, nationally uniform presidential ballot? And why, and why not - a dozen other questions that just boggle the mind of this foreigner!

One thing I gotta give to ya. Most voting districts here have switched from paper ballots to voting computers the last decade - and before concerned Democrats in America started discussing the lack of a paper trail, I hadnt even ever thought about it. Can't see why one couldnt have print-out slips or something, thats a good point. But otherwise voting here seems so infinitely ... simple, compared to your situations!

Can't say I know the exact answer, but I think the fact that the population of your country is roughly that of New York City's might have something to do with some of the differences.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
Nimh - from how you've described it, the process in the Netherlands seems very similar to the UK's methods, except I have yet to see the computer terminals. Maybe in London, but not up North where I live.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Can't say I know the exact answer, but I think the fact that the population of your country is roughly that of New York City's might have something to do with some of the differences.

Well, yeah, I'm sure that plays a role in some stuff.

But waiting in line for hours, for example? Isnt that a question of just making sure there are enough precincts to vote at? If there's a problem there, it seems mostly one of sufficiently funding & manning your electoral process?

And a uniform national ballot? The larger your country's population, the more efficient (cost-wise, too) it would be to have one, right?

I had this conversation with A. once, and one crucial cultural difference (OK, chasm) turned out to be central registration. Every Dutch citizen can automatically be sent his voting card because every Dutch citizen registers his address with the city. You move, you notify the city. Its obliged. If you're not registered with the city, you cant get a passport, drivers licence, rent subsidy, sofi (tax) number (which you need to get a job) - or voting card; thats the fundament of the system. I understood from A. that the very notion of everyone being centrally registered by address is absolutely scandalous to Americans. Cant really understand why, though.
0 Replies