I just voted...

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
I showed up at the polls about 20 minutes early this morning... I was number 29 in line. By the time the polls opened at 700am there must have been 300+ people in line.

One thing that scared me was nobody was asked for an ID. Just show up, state your address and name and get a ballot.

One things for sure... this is going to be one interesting election.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,327 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:27 am
Quote:
One thing that scared me was nobody was asked for an ID. Just show up, state your address and name and get a ballot.

Didn't you have to sign the registration book? In Florida, there is a book, and your signature can be checked against it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
Re: I just voted...
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
I showed up at the polls about 20 minutes early this morning... I was number 29 in line. By the time the polls opened at 700am there must have been 300+ people in line.

Good for all of you.

jpinMilwaukee wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Scary.
That would be an electoral misdemeanor in other countries.
Boy, you sure need independent observers to monitor your election!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:33 am
Yeah, that happened when I voted in Illinois, too, I think. "Don't you need ID or something?" No, no, that's fine. :-?

Good for you for voting, JP!

Need independent observers, for sure.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:35 am
Nope... no signature, no id, no nothing... I even heard the Mayor on the news before I left saying, and I quote:

Bring an ID. Bring a utility bill. You can even bring a friend. In Wisconsin you can have a friend vouch for your identity.[/quote]

Can you imagine allowing a friend to vouch for you? We do have some observers here but none of them are independent. Republicans are crying foul becasue of voter registration fraud and Democrats are crying voter suppression... I have a feeling Wisconsin could be the new Florida this year.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:35 am
oh god.

This is gonna be SO ugly...
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
Same deal in my town.

You go to the table for your ward and state your address. Then they look up that address. There are the names of the voters registered at that address. They verify simply by asking you your name. Then they check it off and hand you your ballot. After you vote, they do the same thing at another table before you exit.

Does seem a bit casual, doesn't it?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:41 am
There was a guy behind me in line who owned an apartment building. He said last time he voted there were names of old tenants who had moved away years ago on the list... there is nothing from keeping him from going to the polls multiple times and using their names.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:42 am
You can call that "confidence in the citizens".
You can also call it naiveté.

What happens if you arrive, give your address and are told that you already voted, but you haven't?

Do parties get a nominal list of the voters and their addresses? I suppose so.
Can they find out who is a registered Democrat or Republican? I suppose so.

Hmmm....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:43 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
There was a guy behind me in line who owned an apartment building. He said last time he voted there were names of old tenants who had moved away years ago on the list... there is nothing from keeping him from going to the polls multiple times and using their names.

Don't you ink the voters fingers or somehing?!!!!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:47 am
fbaezer wrote:

Don't you ink the voters fingers or somehing?!!!!

Nope.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:48 am
fbaezer wrote:
You can call that "confidence in the citizens".
You can also call it naiveté.

What happens if you arrive, give your address and are told that you already voted, but you haven't?

Naive is a good word.

This actually did happen. There was a woman on the radio yesterday (she worked for the station) who showed up tpo vote early. She gave her name and address and they informed her that she already voted. She said "Uhh, no I didn't." and they said "Yes, you did."

So she filled out a provisinal ballot which goes in a box and isn't counted until the mix up is sorted out. The problem is, if nobody can figure out what happened they can simply throw out the provisional ballot and make the original vote count.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:52 am
oh god.

I'm getting more depressed by the minute...

we had 4 years to figure this stuff out!! 4 years!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:53 am
Damn......................This is utterly ridiculous.

There was a story in the news of a woman who filled in her absentee ballot, slipped into a coma, and died. Her ballot is counted. On the other hand, the votes of soldiers who fill out absentee ballots, and then die in combat, are not counted. Seems that there is some cockamamie law.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:58 am
Sorry... didn't mean to ruin your election day.

Soz, I think I remember at least having voter registration cards when I lived in Illinois. It had your name and polling place on it and they checked it against their list. Or am I remembering wrong?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:00 am
My daughter just came back from voting. She said she had to wait in line to fill out a piece of paper with her name and address, then get into another line and wait for them to call her name. She then was given her ballot and waited in yet another line to vote. It took her about an hour to complete the whole process…sounds like fun…I'll be leaving shortly to cast my vote here in Michigan.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:03 am
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, that happened when I voted in Illinois, too, I think. "Don't you need ID or something?" No, no, that's fine.

Shocked

Just how many times did you vote this year, Soz?

Psst. Give me a cheescake and I won't tell anyone. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:14 am
Hee hee!

4 years ago and 2 years ago, Tico m'dear. When I y'know LIVED there.

(You can still get cheesecake, though... have you voted yet?)

I think you're right about cards, JP. I do remember being startled at lack of ID, though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:14 am
Hubby waited 1.5 hrs in line. Said it was a lot of fun, though, great neighborhood.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
So, what happens when the observers call the election invalid?
0 Replies