Looking through girls clothes

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 05:49 pm
Hello, I am a 20 year old autistic man who lives with a woman who is nothing more than a very close friend. I am just wondering if it is acceptable for me to go through her clothes for the sole purpose of seeing the size she wears so I can buy her a gift as we will no longer be living together by the end of June. I have no ulterior motive for wanting to look through her clothes, I just want to buy her the correct size as a thank you for being there for me throughout the time we have lived together, I only ask because my autism has me unable to truly understand human ethics and I tend to overstep boundaries by accident constantly.

All answers are appreciated

View best answer, chosen by autisticidiot
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 05:53 pm
Perhaps you could choose something else for her? Then there would be less possibility of a misunderstanding.
jespah

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Or ask her what her size is.
0 Replies

chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 06:46 pm
If I saw an article of her clothing out in the common living area, I'd look. I wouldn't go through her closets or drawers though.

I think your gesture is very sweet.

How about something where the size doesn't matter?

You could get her a scarf, a handbag or something like that. Maybe a pair of earrings or a bracelet.

Women's sizes are funny. What you wear in one brand of clothes will be different in another brand. I know, it makes no sense.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 07:02 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You could get her a scarf, a handbag or something like that. Maybe a pair of earrings or a bracelet.

This type of gift is the best and safest idea to avoid any gift giving complications.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 04:28 am
@autisticidiot,
Has she any female friends she goes shopping/out with? Ask them, they should know her size, and just as importantly her taste/style. They may even be able to help you choose something nice.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 04:35 am
Why not make a nice day of it instead of looking through her clothes.
Buy her a handbag a head of time- just a suggestion - leave the bag in the store.
After lunch, take her to the store, show her the bag. If she does not like it....let her choose one in the store which fits her taste and your money.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 08:06 am
@saab,
My mind created a totally different reference from this thread's title.
Sorry, I got nothin.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 09:25 am
Why not just look at her coat? The tab at the collar may have a size, or another tab along the inside of the coat.

I would stay out of anyone's personal closet.
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 03:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
Because these peop could very well live in an area that warm all the time, is Eastman now in April, or this woman keeps her coat in her closet.

Clothes are a bad idea, as has been stated for multiple real s in this thread.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 01:10 am
Have you thought about that size is not always size.
Size 14 can be too big or too small. I think it is difficult to go according to size.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 07:53 am
@autisticidiot,
You are not autistic.
chai2

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2017 09:03 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I was kinda wondering about the truth of this question as he never came back, but what is causing to you to say he's not on the autism spectrum?

A austistic person can recognize they are not following societal norms, but not get why.

Have you seen him post elsewhere?
Topectepech1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:13 am
@chai2,
Hi. Maybe you could buy a purce , bag , some julary
Good luck
0 Replies

Eian Mcneely

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:35 am
@autisticidiot,
You would choose something that doesn’t require sizes. Also her friends (if around) would be a great help
0 Replies

autisticidiot

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:33 am
@chai2,
I actually forgot about this post for a while as I got busy with studies. I am autistic, I was diagnosed when I was 16 years old.
0 Replies

autisticidiot

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:35 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Can I ask why you think that?
chai2

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 10:15 am
@autisticidiot,
The question is, what did you end up getting your friend?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:15 pm
I'm all in favor of see-through clothing . . . but on wimmins, not gurlz . . .
0 Replies

autisticidiot

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 05:51 am
@autisticidiot,
Big thank you to everyone who posted here. We had a great send off for my friend the other night and in the end I went a bit extreme with my gifts for her.
A short list of what I got her is,
A Sailor Moon t-shirt, bag, key ring and pop vinyl (She's obsessed with it)
Toys for her young sisters
hand written cards that I had translated into her native language for her and her family (Left 20 euro inside the card for her sisters)
and a bunch of pictures framed together showing her with a bunch of different friends she's made while studying here.

Big thank you to everyone who commented here, though I am very grateful for the advice my wallet wasn't ^_^