What is your favorite period of Art?

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:15 pm
What is your favorite period, style, or school of art? For instance, realism, impressionism, fauvism, cubism, abstract expressionism, etc.? Which do you dislike or just don't understand?

View best answer, chosen by coluber2001
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:21 pm
@coluber2001,
Caveman, it's all been downhill since then.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ea/c9/55/eac9552d2b50e99535a10f75b2e5ee27.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:29 pm
@coluber2001,
Pretty difficult to narrow it down to one.

German Expressionism is on the top of my short list.

I love the connective tissues between the movements of Impressionist, Fauvist, Surrealism, and Abstract Expressionism. Those transitionary periods tend to bring out the best works of art in my book.

As I stated here, Art You Hate: Which famous artist DON'T you get? Which artists whose work you utterly hate?, Willem De Kooning is probably my least favorite artists.

I usually can't stand performance art (art that's made to be extremely ephemeral and not recorded). Works of live performed art that aren't modern dance or ballet but maybe on that genre's extreme outlier. Think mimes and mime acts but with a billion times more pretention where artists give their works far more academic credibility and meaning than they actually represent. EG: Marina Abramović sitting in the middle of an open space staring for five to ten minutes into the eyes of a museum goer seated across from her. That's it. Nothing else.

Though, I hate a lot of contemporary art that is based on shock and awe for kneejerkish sake, I still find a lot of current artists that make incredible art these days.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Wonderful stuff--Tres Freres, Lascaux, et al. These painted chambers were the womb of the goddess. The boys undergoing initiation into the hunt traveled along the whole, scary passageway finally emerging into the chamber, the womb from where all life sprang. And when they finally emerged from the cave, that was their rebirth into adulthood and the hunt.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:50 pm
@coluber2001,
It's actually very good, especially so considering the limitations back then.

Seriously, I don't think I have a favourite period, just favourite artists.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:52 pm
@coluber2001,
I am fond of pointillism, especially works done by Camille Pissarro. Often impressionism works, those done by Manet and Monet in particular.
farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
I really dont have a favorite period. I have many artists whose work I amire and, as a working airbrusher, envy..
My artists are Caravaggio,Baziotes, Frank Frazetta, Rockwell Kent, Jmie Wyeth, Dame Laura Knight,Lissitsky (A relative on my Dad's side) Hieronymous Bosch,Franz Kline, Homer, Kathe Kollwitz, . Hell, I could keep reciting names all afternoon. Piccabia, Picasso, Klimt,Rauschenberg, Okeefe.

Theres only good art and bad art. Try to avoid the latter.

Thats all I got to say about that. Im gonna go sit upon my But--tocks
centrox

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:56 pm
I love the pre-Raphaelites, and the Marble School (e.g. Alma-Tadema).
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/2f90b7fbbb2449c7a74da215b4789d0d/edward-burne-jones-the-wedding-procession-of-psyche-1895-belgium-ajx61g.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/51/40/7f/51407f97eb430f6268328df960d4a55a.jpg
coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 01:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know the Willem de Kooning "Woman" series, the overpowering, omnipotent nurturing/witch mother. Like Stewie's love-hate relationship to his mother in "Family Guy".
The mother has total control over this little infant. She can hold it and feed it, ignore, it, cast it aside or even kill it. The infant is totally dependent on her. Maybe that's what Willem de Kooning had in mind.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 01:38 pm
I am a big fan of the great Renaissance painters; da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael.

http://jackiewhiting.net/ArtHist/Images/schoolAShens.jpg

http://www.defendingthechristianfaith.org/uploads/1/8/1/0/18108555/825267_orig.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 04:58 pm
@Sturgis,
And Seurat, for instance? Camille pissarro did some really nice landscape paintings before he started impressionism and pointillism, landscape works that really impressed Corot, who rejected his impressionistic works.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 05:34 pm
@centrox,
I am not a fan of the pre-Raphealites. We have a museum with a huge collection of the Dupont Pre-Raphhealites that were gifted to the museum in its founding days. Their work is not my favorite but their bruhwork was as smmoth s some of the Hudson River landscapists like FE Church

its amazing how they influenced the works of many of the Art Nouveau an Arts and Crafts Illustrators. Even the early works of guys like Norman Rockwell and Everett Shinn etc would use the trong character lnguge of the PR's
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 08:21 pm
We had an AWESOME thread about this subject years ago. Wouldn't know how to find it. Many cool old timers shared artistic knowledge and prints and favorites.

I only took a couple of art appreciation courses in college, but they, surprisingly, made an impression.

I, for some reason I couldn't even explain, am really drawn to the stark Siena and white, etching-type pencil lines of Andrew Wyeth. I have a strong distaste for pointillism and pond-y Manets, Monets, Degases...

I'm a sucker for chiaroscuro. Drama. I love Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Vermeer--the intricate detail of Jan Van Eyck. So, the Masters.

Willem de Kooning.

There are some outliers I appreciate. Later.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 08:28 pm
@farmerman,
I have a soft spot for Klimt......
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 09:31 pm
What about Banksy?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2017 11:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
The graffiti guy?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:28 am
I find I am more often attracted to a painting, no matter what who the painter is and no matter from what period. In a museum it is often a painting of a perosn, just the face. Otherwise I prefer paintings with water, snow and ice.
Like the Danish Skagen painter
http://www.omk.no/turer-og%20-annet/2004-Skagen/Britt_Rekdal_2-20.jpg

Kassel, Germany has a verz prestigious art exhibition "documenta" every 5th year.
Fantastic art and also very strange. Like three dogs running around with a pink leg or this junk pile.
http://www.kunsthandwerker-markt.de/blog/bilder/kunst-installation-schrotthaufen-documenta-13-kassel.jpg
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 12:29 am
I haven't responded here yet, still thinking. Thing is, I changed over time re what I liked and I need to get that in some sort of order.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 03:21 am
@farmerman,
I think of art as frolicking.
I think of art as visceral.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2017 04:21 am
@ossobucotemp,
First and foremost I think of art as something that rhymes with fart, because fart rhyming is my life.
0 Replies