Do I break up with him or am I making the wrong choice?

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 03:06 am
I've been with my partner for just under 2 years and we live together. For a while now I have been feeling very doubtful of our relationship. We're both very young, in our early 20's so that might contribute to my issues with him.

I often find him childish, uneducated and unreasonable. He also isn't good with money which has caused us some trouble in the past. He has no friends, hobbies or aspirations. I sometimes find him too climgy and like I need to mother him. He apologies to me for things very often yet doesn't seem to be improving.
There is also no passion in our relationship mostly on my part. We don't have sex anymore, but he says he can give up sex if it means having me. I feel like there is no actual romantic love in it anymore.

On the other hand tho he is the sweetest person I know. He's kind and does a lot for me emotionally. He cares about me and we get along very well and have simillar ideas about life. I feel very comfortable around him and he accepts me with all my flaws.

I'm terrified of leaving him but at the same time I have a feeling I'll be unhappy in the future if I stay with him. I feel like I am making a mistake staying in a relationship with someone like that even tho he gives me comfort. I'm really stuck here and don't know what I should do. Am I taking him for granted? Will i regret this? Are my doubts real?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,682 • Replies: 6

jespah

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 08:16 am
@Ali0Pose,
He sounds like a really nice friend.

Full stop.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 09:45 am
@Ali0Pose,
How about getting a puppy?

That's about what you've got here.
0 Replies

JeffDaniels

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 03:39 pm
@Ali0Pose,
If you feel that you will be unhappy in the long run in the relationship then why prolong the inevitable?Sad

If you have all these doubts then you should at least voice your concerns with him because communication is a huge factor in relationships.

That's just my advice!
0 Replies

aristotelianattic

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 04:55 pm
@Ali0Pose,
I've spent a large portion of my life contemplating break-up ethics and have developed a thorough philosophy concerning break-ups. I read a great deal of Aristotle, Aquinas, Locke, and legal theories to develop my philosophy. In fact, my major paper for my doctorate was on the subject of breaking up.

In my view, it is unethical for you to break-up with your boyfriend. There are 2 reasons for this. First and foremost, you would be breaching a contract. All relationships are contracts. It's simply that our modern democracy has chosen not to enforce those contracts. But most certainly, a moral contract exists nonetheless. At a minimum, a relationship is a quasi-contract or a contract implied-in-fact.

A contract exists whenever you have a quid pro quo bargained-for exchange. In the case of a relationship the parties contract love in exchange for love. This creates a moral obligation because both parties sacrifice something trusting that the opposing party will fulfill their end of the bargain.

By leaving your boyfriend, you breach contract. And this is a great moral wrong. This is just like a business contract. If a distributor asked a supplier to build a factory to make dolls and then that distributor pulled out of the contract, that distributor would most certainly be sued in court for millions of dollars. Love is even more valuable than products in a business deal. Your love is worth millions to your boyfriend.

You entered the relationship. If you breach that relationship, you violate natural law.

There's a second reason why a break-up would be wrong - but we can get to that later.
jespah

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 05:11 pm
@aristotelianattic,
Oh, please, this is no contract. People end relationships all the time and ending a pure dating relationship (e. g. no vows and no ring) isn't a breach of an agreement at all. By your logic, I would owe my 8th grade boyfriend compensation for breaking up with him over 40 years ago.

And your definition of a contract is lacking. This isn't a commercial exchange. Read up on what happens to engagement rings in contract law - the courts feel it's not their business to intervene in such matters, and this relationship has even fewer ties than that. http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/what-happens-to-the-engagement-ring-in-a-broken-engagement.html
aristotelianattic

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 06:08 pm
@jespah,
I am not referring to a legally binding contract but instead a morally binding contract. In every sense of the word, a relationship falls within the category of a contract - offer, acceptance, consideration. At a minimum its quasi-contract or contract implied-in-fact.

I know the courts don't enforce it - but that's because our legal system has turned a blind eye to justice. I'm well aware that courts feel it's not their business to intervene. And because of that, our country is suffering an immense injustice.

As a matter of metaphysics, harm is done by breaching a relationship. Expectation damages are left uncompensated, and this is an immense injustice.

So reiterate, yes, relationships meet the even the basic definition of contract: offer, acceptance, and consideration. It's just that our modern society (including our courts) has tyrannically refused to recognize them.
0 Replies