bin Laden Endorses Kerry

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:35 am
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic that the Green Party candidate is named after a salad?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
I'd also be interested in pre- and post- videotape numbers -- the point this guy was making was that the numbers would go UP after the tape.

It's not so much that I doubt that his support is high, I'm wondering what kind of effect the videotape had.

I've been looking too, coming up with squat so far. Well I did find this, interesting analysis, more on the elder statesman/ Muslim audience aspect:

Quote:
Intelligence experts were struck by Mr. bin Laden's tone and by his appearance: No guerrilla garb, no rifle, no direct threats, or religious rhetoric of the past. Bin Laden was wearing a traditional Arab white thobe and princely, gold-trimmed outer garment. With the fall of Saddam Hussein and the marginalization of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, "part of what bin Laden is trying to do is fill the vacuum of leadership in the Muslim world," says Bruce Hoffman, a RAND Corp. expert on terrorism. "Part of his game is to portray himself as a statesman."

http://search.csmonitor.com/2004/1101/p01s03-wosc.html

I'll plug in the "Jordan 99%" thing and see if that gets me anywhere.
0 Replies

HofT

Since I used to work in the Middle East I know to check their transliterations into our alphabet, so here's the definition:

"wilaya" is defined as "province" in both those dictionaries
http://www.bartleby.com/61/93/V0099300.html
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Vilayet

The word is common (with varying spellings) to Arabic, Farsi, Turkish, (that I know of) and is NEVER used for nation-states.
0 Replies

sozobe

Cav, heh! :-D
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
Lash - if your numbers refer to opposition to US Middle-Eastern policies (esp. concerning Israel) in those countries, rather than support for ObL personally, then they seem about right. Was this your meaning?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:53 am
Right, HofT, that's all I have found so far to match the numbers:

Quote:
In Jordan, a friendly pro-Western country, 99 percent had an unfavorable opinion of the United States, up from 75 percent a year ago.

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20030608-090333-4821r.htm
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:56 am
Cav - LOL. You've hit upon the ultimate conspiracy theory: ObL is supporting Nader because of his Lebanese ancestry?!

Sozobe - possibly that was Lash's meaning, or at least that's how I read her post. Your statistics would back that up.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:59 am
HofT wrote:
Cav - LOL. You've hit upon the ultimate conspiracy theory: ObL is supporting Nader because of his Lebanese ancestry?!

Sozobe - possibly that was Lash's meaning, or at least that's how I read her post. Your statistics would back that up.

I don't recall mentioning Nader or the Lebanese, but feel free to extrapolate. :wink: I can't vote anyway.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
Sorry Cav - of course you meant Cobb. My mistake!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:37 pm
Interesting how Bush considered the tape...

Report: Bush thinks bin Laden tape helped re-election bid

Quote:
Tuesday, February 28, 2006; Posted: 5:32 p.m. EST (22:32 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- President Bush said his 2004 re-election victory over Sen. John Kerry was inadvertently aided by Osama bin Laden, The Washington Examiner newspaper reported Tuesday.

The al Qaeda leader had issued a taped diatribe against Bush the Friday before Americans went to the polls

Bush said there were "enormous amounts of discussion" inside his campaign about the 15-minute tape, which he called "an interesting entry by our enemy" into the presidential race.

Bush's comments in the Washington newspaper were excerpts from the new book "Strategery" by Bill Sammon, a longtime White House correspondent.

"What does it mean? Is it going to help? Is it going to hurt?" Bush told Sammon of the bin Laden tapes.

"Anything that drops in at the end of a campaign that is not already decided creates all kinds of anxieties, because you're not sure of the effect.

"I thought it was going to help," Bush said.

"I thought it would help remind people that if bin Laden doesn't want Bush to be the president, something must be right with Bush."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:45 pm
Wow, good memory to find this thread back and plonk that new info in, squinney.

(Man, still throws me for a loop when I see Cav on these long-dormant threads...)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
(sigh. Me, too. Twice today I came across his posts. )

We didn't really think that if the tape would possibly hurt Bush, it would still be aired, now did we?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:07 pm
HofT wrote:

I thought it was Cheney who had the gay relatives.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:12 pm
squinney wrote:
Interesting how Bush considered the tape...

Report: Bush thinks bin Laden tape helped re-election bid

Quote:
Tuesday, February 28, 2006; Posted: 5:32 p.m. EST (22:32 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- President Bush said his 2004 re-election victory over Sen. John Kerry was inadvertently aided by Osama bin Laden, The Washington Examiner newspaper reported Tuesday.

The al Qaeda leader had issued a taped diatribe against Bush the Friday before Americans went to the polls

Bush said there were "enormous amounts of discussion" inside his campaign about the 15-minute tape, which he called "an interesting entry by our enemy" into the presidential race.

Bush's comments in the Washington newspaper were excerpts from the new book "Strategery" by Bill Sammon, a longtime White House correspondent.

"What does it mean? Is it going to help? Is it going to hurt?" Bush told Sammon of the bin Laden tapes.

"Anything that drops in at the end of a campaign that is not already decided creates all kinds of anxieties, because you're not sure of the effect.

"I thought it was going to help," Bush said.

"I thought it would help remind people that if bin Laden doesn't want Bush to be the president, something must be right with Bush."

I would have thought it obvious it would help Bush....and suspect that is how OBL hoped it would operate.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:48 am
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/57/05/novel.jpg

For some reason, the last part of this thread made me think of a romantic mystery novel.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
I remember arguing with O'Bill about whether the tape would help Kerry or not. Off to find that one.
0 Replies