Hardest Thing about moving in with your spouse was...

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
As the time gets closer and closer, I am getting nervous.

I'm moving in some of my stuff now since I will be staying with my parents in December (and the space in their place is limited for extra storage), and I feel like emptying out the drawers one by one and reorganzing everything.

He says that's fine and he'll deal with it, but how would that be though (as I try to put myself in his shoes)? Fi comes back from Iraq and his space has been invaded with red roses and pink wallpaper. Wink

He's got hammers and screwdrivers in with his forks and spoons and batteries in just about every drawer. Where o where do I start?!

In a perfect world, I'd have a maid and just sit pretty. Razz

So tell me your experiences...

*I heart a2k*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,559 • Replies: 51
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:32 pm
Put all the girlie stuff in the storage shed. Stock the refrigerator with beer. Make sure the remote control has new batteries.

Guess that covers everything.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
Hardest thing?

If I remember correctly, it was him insisting my crate of valuable albums needed to be stored in the closet under the stairs. Now, I ask, is that any way to treat Barry Manilow, Dolly Parton or Gloria Gaynor? Put my Flashdance soundtrack under the stairs never to be heard again? Wasn't that asking a bit too much?

Ugh, I did it. But, I wasn't happy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:48 pm
We didn't have any trouble... on the other hand, we bought the house together, which is probably easier. Prior to moving in together he had stayed with me at the house I rented with my studio partner. By time, my studio/gallery partner and I rented a house after our gallery fizzed out (couldn't handle the expenses), myself and boyfriend were highly tired of herself and her boyfriend. We really looked forward to the peace and quiet of our own place.

As luck would have it, he liked to sweep and empty trash and do carpentry jobs, and I loved arranging stuff and cleaning cabinets, etc.
I kept checking with him on the arranging, and I gradually learned to do some carpentry. Pretty much of a team thing...
we didn't argue much if at all about these kind of things; each did what we were inclined to do, with some overlap if something wasn't getting done.

But I think you ought to talk about this stuff at least a little.
It is tricky moving into someone's territory, having it become shared territory.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
Yeah, everyone is saying it is easier to move into a "new" place together than someone else's space. We will/won't have that option. I will have to move my stuff into his place now (except for my clothes that I will keep at my parent's place), and then we we will move into a new place "together" 4-5 months later. It will almost be like I'm living there though since I'm sure I will spend every second at his place but then go back home at night to sleep at my rent's place (down the street).
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:46 pm
One word of advice, don't throw anything of his away no matter how small. HE WILL KNOW!

When I was married my X left a small screw on the kitchen counter for a month. It seemed unimportant as it had been laying there for so long, so I threw it away.
The next day he say's "where's the screw that was on the counter?"
He gave me a small lecture on the importance of that particular screw and the plans he had for it.

And if you come across any old clothes of his that look like a homeless person would snub their nose at, don't touch them, as they are proabaly sacred to him.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:51 pm
My ex's always moved in with me and they never had enough stuff for it to become a problem. The only thing that was in my way was them, lol.

Have fun Joa ;-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:59 pm
I agree on not throwing his stuff out. Very important.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:04 pm
Oh no!!! lol There was a stack about 24 Maxim magazines and I know he'll never get around to reading them (though they continue to come in), so last weekend I threw them ALL out.

hahaha ...and then the silly Army Times he collects. We always go to the store and he pays for one to "read later" ....later like another lifetime? ;-)

I guess I have to get a ziplock bag for all the screws. Weird b/c he has a few screws laying around on tables and the kitchen counter too.

I just didn't think he'd notice. His mom decorated his entire living room while he was away (she added SO many furniture pieces, cleaned the entire house, and added pictures everywhere), and when he got back ....I had to tell him his house changed so he could thank his mom. Laughing
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:07 pm
Quote:
The only thing that was in my way was them, lol.

oh no, that's not good news for me. Laughing
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:23 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
Oh no!!! lol There was a stack about 24 Maxim magazines and I know he'll never get around to reading them (though they continue to come in), so last weekend I threw them ALL out.

You have commited your first pre-marital sin! Now say 5 Hail Marys' and go dig them out of the trash before he find's out and tries to kill someone.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:32 pm
I knoooowww! Laughing

My excuse was/is going to be: Before he left for Iraq, he had some Maxim's that he said I could throw out b/c he never read them, but "I" said "No, I'd like to read them," so I can say I threw them out afterwards. Problem is, I took about 8 or so of them not 30+.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:45 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that was in my way was them, lol.

oh no, that's not good news for me. Laughing

LOL, no worries girl. Not everyone has the bad men curse like I do. I'm sure you picked a good one ;-)
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
JH
Your so darn cute.

Montana, if you stop being a "Jerk Magnet" I will too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:59 pm
Paula wrote:
He gave me a small lecture on the importance of that particular screw and the plans he had for it.

Please.... more details.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:07 pm
paulaj wrote:
JH
Your so darn cute.

Montana, if you stop being a "Jerk Magnet" I will too.

You've got yourself a deal Cool
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Paula wrote:

Please.... more details.

Gustahavedetails

I think he was testing me. I could be wrong but I think all men play these games to test the tolerence of their mates.

Tell me, is it true? have you....... "Tested"?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:16 pm
The hardest thing for me was knowing that I may never be be free again!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
I had an old sledge hammer that I kept in the sink for years. One day it was missing. I asked Gertrude if she had moved it, and when she told me she had, I gave her a good backhand that sent her reeling across the room.

The sledge hammer is back in the sink.

Where it belongs.
0 Replies