Do I have a right to be upset?

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 11:40 am
My parents are in town and my wife & I planned to have dinner with them at 5:30. It turns out I became ill that day and I told them they could go without me since I was in no shape to go. As my throat became worse I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep throat around 4:30. The medicine wouldn't be ready till 5:00-5:15 or so and the restaurant was a half hour away. Rather than wait for the medicine my wife suggested to wait till after they came back from dinner to pick up the medicine. Do I have the right to be upset or am I off-base?
thank you for your opinions
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 636 • Replies: 11

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 11:48 am
@whosthirsty,
Yes, you do, the medicine comes first. Strep throat is important to fight.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 12:56 pm
The "right" to be upset? Over some sore throat meds? Really?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:38 pm
@centrox,
Strep throat can be deadly, though some strains are worse than others.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/23/manitoba-mom-loses-three-limbs-after-developing-rare-strep-throat-infection.html

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/03/20/dangers-strep-throat.html

http://abc7chicago.com/health/woman-loses-fingers-toes-to-strep-throat/1811001/

Me, I was quarantined for two weeks with the scarlet fever version of Strep throat.

I feel strongly that the meal can wait a small bit; I say this with a degree in bacteriology, albeit from years ago. Get the meds working already.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 06:27 pm
It was the "right to be upset" concept that I was puzzled about. What's that all about? Also, if he was so bloody sick, how come he went to the meal? (I take it he did?)

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 06:28 pm
Why couldn't the dinner be delayed? You needed to get the antibiotics in your system.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:37 pm
@whosthirsty,
whosthirsty wrote:

...my wife suggested

Don't know why you'd get upset over a suggestion. You'd certainly have the right to say no.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:38 am
@centrox,
I didn't take it that he went to the meal. I rather doubt it. I suppose that is possible.

I think, without googleing, that strep can move to rheumatic fever. I remember that (I was twelve) that was a big worry.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 01:55 am
@ossobucotemp,
Those scary links I posted are, of course, not the norm, though real.
centrox

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 03:27 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Those scary links I posted are, of course, not the norm, though real.

The British National Health Service advice page for streptococcal infections says:
Quote:
Most infections caused by strep A are unpleasant, but don't pose a serious threat to your health.

Also,
Quote:
You should see your GP if you have persistent or severe symptoms of a strep A infection, as they may recommend a short course of antibiotics.

So over here you'd go to the doctor if it was very severe, or had been persisting for some time. If these things were true in the original poster's case, then my view would be the family meal can go hang, I'm getting my medication right now.

I vividly remember my first wife's attitudes toward illness, especially mine. It was basically "there's nothing wrong with you". The day after I got stung by a wasp on the hand, I felt really dizzy. It seemed like the floor was tilting. I felt really strange and sick. I got no sympathy from her. She said I was being dramatic. I just walked out and took a bus to the hospital. The doctor said the wasp must have been somewhere very dirty, as I had a severe lymph node infection which needed immediate antibiotic treatment. He then called in some nurses to look at me as he said it was a text-book case. I think it was shortly after that I began thinking about leaving my first wife.
0 Replies

Eady

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 04:52 am
@whosthirsty,
Yes. You should be upset with your wife and your parents. They should have cancelled the restaurant reservation, waited for your medication and then bought take-aways and kept you company at home. I assume it was you that your parents particularly wanted to see, not your wife.
ErnestSchneider

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 06:01 am
@Eady,
Yes surely, You have the right to be upset. But one should not be angry on someone for more time. If you forgive some one, then they will also forgive you, if you are wrong sometime.
0 Replies