If Kerry Becomes President.....

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:55 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Shocked

Your paying $1.30/gallon for gasoline?

If this war was all about oil then I would be!

Just where is all this oil were supposed to be plundering?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Shocked

That was my point. If it were all about oil then we would have people guarding every inch of the pipelines so that they couldn't interfere with our treasure. After all to the winner goes the spoiles.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:00 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:
First of all, it's THEIR oil. Just because we need it, doesn't give us the right to invade them to get it.

We didn't invade Iraq for oil, if we did then how come I'm paying $1.30 per gallon?

non-sequitor.
We DID invade Iraq for oil, and for revenge. You may be spending a lot on gas, but Halliburton stands to profit niicely from the war.

Quote:
Fourth, North Korea is still a threat to our security, if not to our dependence on oil. They have a lunatic in charge of their government. They have nukes. We didn't invade them, and I completely agree with your stated reason: no oil. Of course, we were never told that the invasion of Iraq was for oil, we were told it was Saddam had WMDs and posed an imminent threat to our national security, as well as that he was responsible for 911. Would Americans have supported this war if they had been told the truth?

If you care so much for the lives of soldiers why would you want to throw them at a country that would in every likely hood use nukes?

huh? Did I say we should invade NK? No, I was pointing out that if Bush was invading a country for national security reasons, as he said he was with Iraq, NK, unlike Iraq, posed a real threat.

People like you would approve of any action of Clinton when it came to military actions but nothing of Bush and you know it. Don't try and sound like there were better places to go.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I did not approve of avery action Clinton took, and, by the way, I voted for Bush. Of course, I did so because I believed all his campaign crap, and as I know better now, based upon his record, I won't be making that mistake again.

With sanctions against Iraq it was the only place we could go.

The sanctions had Saddam contained. If it could have been established that the sanctions were not working, multilateral action may have been necessary and certainly would have been preferable.

Bush never said Iraq was involved in 9/11? He has said Saddam was a support of terrorism and that is true.

Oh please, he did everything in his power to connect Saddam to 911 to justify his invasion.

There were ties to Al Queda, while they weren't strong ties .......

They weren't strong ties? So why, then, after 911, when we were looking for the people who caused that tragedy, did we go to Iraq at all? (yeah, I know, for oil. We really are going in circles here.)

Quote:
Baldimo: I have to think you are deliberately refusing to understand my comments re diplomacy. Of course we cannot talk with or reason with extremist terrorists. Which is why we need to build alliances with non-terrorists to work together against actual terrorists. And I'm thinking that "talking" would be a way to build those alliances?

We tried talking with France and they wanted nothing to do with us.

After we told them we were going in anyway. You see, they and many other nations, did not believe Bush's lie re WMDs, and what do you know, they were right.

Is it any wonder France didn't want the US to invade Iraq. We were picking on Jacques friend!

And our OWN friend, too. The one we had been buddy buddy with when we worked together against Iran. The one Rumsfeld if often seen with in the "hand-shaking all-smiles" photo.

Quote:
We are safer as a strong, respected leader than we will ever be as an arrogant bully.

It's sad that you describe a man who is willing to confront a tyrant and remove him, as a bully.

Bush is a fool, and a bully. Dangerous combination.

Isn't Saddam the bully for the way he treated his own people?

Again, oh please. Saddam had been brutal to his people the whole time we were working with him. We never cared then. And what about all the other dictators in the world today who are brutalizing their people? What about what's going on in the Sudan? Bush did not go to Iraq for the Iraqi people. He went for oil and for revenge.

Kerry would only pander to world opinion. He has already said as much in the debates.

You are blind AND deaf. Kerry is strong and you know it. Wasn't he the one who VOLUNTEERED for Vietnam while Bush hid out in Alabama? Kerry has said repeatedly that he would never hesitate to use force when it was necessary. e.g. in response to a direct attack from a verifiable source, or to secure us from a verifiable imminent threat. Unlike Bush, however, his foreigh policy would include options other than brute force: OPTIONS. He recognizes that we are safer against terrorists when we build and use international alliances.

He will be a a strong, reasonable, smart, respectful and respected president, one who, having been in real combat, will explore other options whenever possible before sending other people's sons and daughters off to die in a potentailly avoidable war.

And he will restore America's place of leadership in the world. No small task, given what the current president has done to our credibility.

This man isn't willing to take any action in the face of danger.

This man? The one who turned his boat around to go back and save the life of a fallen American soldier?

This discussion has become borderline absurd. I fell into the trap once again of thinking I might be able to have a reasonable dialogue with a Bush fanatic. My bad. Won't happen again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:01 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Shocked

That was my point. If it were all about oil then we would have people guarding every inch of the pipelines so that they couldn't interfere with our treasure. After all to the winner goes the spoiles.

I see, and agree with, your point.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:12 pm
angie wrote:
We DID invade Iraq for oil, and for revenge. You may be spending a lot on gas, but Halliburton stands to profit niicely from the war.

Revenge for what?

angie wrote:
huh? Did I say we should invade NK? No, I was pointing out that if Bush was invading a country for national security reasons, as he said he was with Iraq, NK, unlike Iraq, posed a real threat.

So what are you saying the US should do about NK?

angie wrote:
They weren't strong ties? So why, then, after 911, when we were looking for the people who caused that tragedy, did we go to Iraq at all? (yeah, I know, for oil. We really are going in circles here.)

It wasn't for oil. I may have missed your explanation of your point here, but what support do you have for it?

angie wrote:
After we told them we were going in anyway. You see, they and many other nations, did not believe Bush's lie re WMDs, and what do you know, they were right.

What do you mean "After we told them we were going in anyway"? Are you claiming France would have joined the coalition if we hadn't tipped our hand that we were willing to go it alone?

angie wrote:
And our OWN friend, too. The one we had been buddy buddy with when we worked together against Iran. The one Rumsfeld if often seen with in the "hand-shaking all-smiles photo.

You are aware that the US has had many allies over the years, even ones that used to be our enemies. And former enemies are now are allies. The fact that the US supported Iraq in the early '80s has no bearing on the present situation, while France's complicity in the Oil For Food scandal is both disturbing and enlightening.

Kerry has done nothing to give anyone confidence that he will provide strong leadership for the US as we continue to fight global terrorism and make the US secure.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:52 pm
Excellent post jamesmorrison
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
The family analogy is, indeed, apt.

Especially when you note that some people see their nation as their family and some see humanity on the whole as their family you will better understand the differences between their positions.

The further one attempts to expand the circle of one's family the more disfunctional the family becomes.

Until there is a threat to the entire family of man, there will be no family of man.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 11:10 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

The further one attempts to expand the circle of one's family the more disfunctional the family becomes.

• Upon what evidence do you base this claim?
  • What are your definitions for "disfunctional" in the context of geopolitics?
  • ..and how would that be worse than "fractious"?

Quote:

Until there is a threat to the entire family of man, there will be no family of man.

• What basis do you have for declaring the nature of social circles and structures being exclusively based on external threat?
  • There already are many such creatures as "threat to the entire family of man".

Sounds like two "gut feeling facts".
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 12:03 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

• What are your definitions for "dysfunctional" in the context of geopolitics?
  • ..and how would that be worse than "fractious"?

Quote:

• What basis do you have for declaring the nature of social circles and structures being exclusively based on external threat?
  • There already are many such creatures as "threat to the entire family of man".

Sounds like two "gut feeling facts".

These are beliefs formulated through 50 years of experience, observation, and study. You might prefer that I had prefaced them with "In my opinion," but, frankly, I really don't care.

However, to expound upon them:

The more members you include in your family the more interests there are to serve and the greater the likelihood of cross interests, competition and friction - disfunction.

Geopolitical disfunction is no different than familial disfunction, the failure to operate as a cohesive group, cooperating to meet the needs of the individual and the the whole.

Lions in a pride can be fractious and yet the pride remains functional.

The originating purpose of a family is to offer its members protection from threat. The primary threat is an end to a genetic line. From that extends more directly physical and emotional threats - death, starvation, loneliness etc. As with many traits, physical or societal, there are benefits that we perceive as independent but are really only secondary to their primary purpose. The joy of sex being an example.

You are correct that there are actual threats to the family of man. I should have written that there will be no family of man until there is a threat which is recognized by the entire family of man and feared in roughly equal measure throughout the family.

There wasn't likely to have been much debate among a family of Cro-magnons that a Cave Bear advancing on their encampment presented a real threat to all. This is certainly not the case with environmental degradation, or infectious diseases concentrated within one or two continents. Nuclear proliferation is a threat to the entire family of man, but not truly perceived as such by the individual members of the family.

The notion that one is a member of a "family of man" is a romantic one.

Yes we are genetically one family, but as the vast majority of us, worldwide, understand the concept we are hardly a family.

Perhaps one day we will find ourselves as the family of man without the motivating factor of a global threat. I hope this will come to pass, but I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime.

Now Craven, do you have an opinion on the matter or are you merely playing Socrates?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 12:44 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
These are beliefs formulated through 50 years of experience, observation, and study. You might prefer that I had prefaced them with "In my opinion," but, frankly, I really don't care.

"In my opinion" isn't what I am after. I wanted to know the basis for your claim/opinion.

"50 years of experience, observation, and study" isn't specific, but you expound so I'll go with that.

Quote:
The more members you include in your family the more interests there are to serve and the greater the likelihood of cross interests, competition and friction - disfunction.

Ultimately, the inclusion of said interests is not a choice. They exist and will continue to exist. As will "cross interests, competition and friction".

Whether their existence constitutes "disfunction" is subjective, but since this has always existed it seems to be an irrelevant distinction.

Quote:
Geopolitical disfunction is no different than familial disfunction, the failure to operate as a cohesive group, cooperating to meet the needs of the individual and the the whole.

Geopolitical disfunction is different from familial disfunction.

Familial disfunction is remedied by avoidance that is not affordable on the geopolitical scale. It is the difference between necessity and luxury.

After all, this isn't about whether one attends a family dinner or not.

Quote:

As can geopolitical structures.

Quote:
The originating purpose of a family is to offer its members protection from threat.

I have no idea how you purport to know the origins of the familial structure, and am more interested in that than the explanation of it's purpose.

Quote:
You are correct that there are actual threats to the family of man. I should have written that there will be no family of man until there is a threat which is recognized by the entire family of man and feared in roughly equal measure throughout the family.

This is like claiming that there can be no such thing as relatives unless they are aware of their mutual existence.

You are using a subset of the definition of "family" and seem to have appended the criteria that it be cohesive and functional.

Alternately, said family can exist and not yet function cohesively.

Quote:
There wasn't likely to have been much debate among a family of Cro-magnons that a Cave Bear advancing on their encampment presented a real threat to all. This is certainly not the case with environmental degradation, or infectious diseases concentrated within one or two continents. Nuclear proliferation is a threat to the entire family of man, but not truly perceived as such by the individual members of the family.

This speaks to awareness of existential threat and not its existence.

Quote:

It is a practical one as well.

Quote:
Yes we are genetically one family, but as the vast majority of us, worldwide, understand the concept we are hardly a family.

What is and what is understood are not necessarily the same.

Quote:
Perhaps one day we will find ourselves as the family of man without the motivating factor of a global threat. I hope this will come to pass, but I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime.

Again, this is a definition that has additional criteria to mine.

I speak of antiquated attitutes. Recognition that geopolitical and economic evolution creates contagion that necessitates the understanding of mutually shared threats and benefits as well as the elevation in importance of shared interests.

I speak of the difference between attitudes of nation versus world and nation among world.

Quote:
Now Craven, do you have an opinion on the matter or are you merely playing Socrates?

Yes, I have an opinion.

I think seeing nations as family versus the world is an outdated concept that fails to understand geopolitical evolution. More realistic would be immediate family and extended family and the realization that due to contagion many of the interests of the extended family are interests of your own.

As to whether nations can work together cohesively that is a separate issue to the way one evaluates geopolitical evolution except in that people who continue to subscribe to the "versus" view are an impediment to said cohesion.

Ultimately, our differences seem to merely center on what constitutes family with you having added the non-existent prerequisite of cohesion.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:14 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

"In my opinion" isn't what I am after. I wanted to know the basis for your claim/opinion.

"50 years of experience, observation, and study" isn't specific, but you expound so I'll go with that.

Quote:

Ultimately, the inclusion of said interests is not a choice. They exist and will continue to exist. As will "cross interests, competition and friction".

Whether their existence constitutes "disfunction" is subjective, but since this has always existed it seems to be an irrelevant distinction.

Competing interests within the body of man certainly have always existed and will, likely, always exist, but the question is what their impact is upon a family unit. The inclusion of these interests in the body of man is not a choice. The inclusion of these interests in one's family circle is, very much a choice. Since my comment was that the further one attempts to enlarge the circle of one's family, the more dysfunctional the family becomes, a choice is most certainly contemplated, and can't be dismissed with a rhetorical shrug.

Quote:

Geopolitical disfunction is different from familial disfunction.

Familial disfunction is remedied by avoidance that is not affordable on the geopolitical scale. It is the difference between necessity and luxury.

After all, this isn't about whether one attends a family dinner or not.

I have to question your understanding of familial dysfunction if you believe it can be remedied by avoidance. Your analogy about attendance at a family dinners suggest, at best, a superficial understanding of a dysfunctional family. (Congratulations on your ignorance by the way).

Quote:

As can geopolitical structures.

Not worldwide.

Quote:
The originating purpose of a family is to offer its members protection from threat.

I have no idea how you purport to know the origins of the familial structure, and am more interested in that than the explanation of it's purpose.

I purport to know the origins of the familial structure through my reading on the subject and my own analysis. I again refer you to my reaction to your preference for a prefacing "In my opinion." I daresay that no one on earth can actually know the origins of the familial structure, and yet, curiously, in my reading on the subject, I never seem to run across authors who begin with "In my opinion..."

Generally, I enjoy discourse with you Craven but I am not about to submit myself to a test administered by a self-appointed sage. To assuage your seemingly compulsive requirements for footnotes, let me make this stipulation: The majority of my statements on A2K represent my opinions, and when I feel the need to cite sources, I will.

Quote:

This is like claiming that there can be no such thing as relatives unless they are aware of their mutual existence.

No it is not. My contention is that the family unit has formed as a response to threats. It is also my contention that a global family unit will not form unless it is in response to a threat. It follows therefore, that if the potential members of the global family unit do not all perceive a common threat, there will be no motivating factor to form a global family unit, even though a true common threat may actually exist.

You are using a subset of the definition of "family" and seem to have appended the criteria that it be cohesive and functional.

No, I am using a definition of "family" that apparently doesn't conform to your own. I have not, at all, contended that a group be cohesive and functional to meet the definition of family. What I have contended is that a family need be cohesive and functional if it is not to be described as "dysfunctional." A family may exist whether it is functional or dysfunctional.

Yes.

Quote:

This speaks to awareness of existential threat and not its existence.

Of course it does, but if a family will only form around a commonly perceived threat, the actuality of a given threat is immaterial to the formation of a family unit. Family units will form in response to a perceived threat that doesn't actually exist; they will not form in response to an actual threat that is not perceived.

Quote:

It is a practical one as well.

How is it practical? What practicality is actually achieved by conceiving of a family of man that cannot be achieved by conceiving of a family of Americans or a family of Floridians or a family of miamians ...

Quote:

What is and what is understood are not necessarily the same.

No, but if "family of man" is to have any meaning beyond a common gene pool then its members must be able to relate it to their experience with far more narrow families.

Quote:

Again, this is a definition that has additional criteria to mine.

I speak of antiquated attitudes. Recognition that geopolitical and economic evolution creates contagion that necessitates the understanding of mutually shared threats and benefits as well as the elevation in importance of shared interests.

That is all well and good Craven, but these attitudes are hardly antiquated unless there is, at least, a building wave of new ones. I don't believe there is. It may be pleasant to think there is, but where is the evidence that this change is upon us?

I speak of the difference between attitudes of nation versus world and nation among world.

Your speaking of it doesn't make it so. I have to assume that you have examples in mind of the world moving in this direction, if not having actually arrived.

Quote:

Yes, I have an opinion.

I think seeing nations as family versus the world is an outdated concept that fails to understand geopolitical evolution. More realistic would be immediate family and extended family and the realization that due to contagion many of the interests of the extended family are interests of your own.

What geopolitical evolution is that?

Globalism has risen and receded in the past. It's dominance is not inevitable and it certainly isn't necessary to the continued survival of man or geopolitics.

That an increasingly global economy increasingly intertwines the interests of nation states doesn't make a family of man inevitable. Whether one focuses on threat, as I do, or interests as, perhaps you do, it is not enough that these threats and interests actually exist. They must be realized by the would be family members. Perhaps there is a family of nation states forming, but that is something quite different from a family of man.

As to whether nations can work together cohesively that is a separate issue to the way one evaluates geopolitical evolution except in that people who continue to subscribe to the "versus" view are an impediment to said cohesion.

That is the issue of whether or not a family of nations is functional or dysfunctional. It will only be a family if the members clearly wishes to organize to respond to recognized common threats

However, it is not a small difference that separates a family of nations and the family of man.

Ultimately, our differences seem to merely center on what constitutes family with you having added the non-existent prerequisite of cohesion.

I am not sure that we are as close to one another's position as this comment suggests, but I am sure that I have not added cohesion to my definition of family.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:35 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Generally, I enjoy discourse with you Craven but I am not about to submit myself to a test administered by a self-appointed sage.

Finn, if asking you to support your own claims constitutes being "a self-appointed sage" I will have to live with that. I don't think it merits distain, nor is this a test.

In my opinion, you are being inordinately sensitive and rude about some rather simple requests for you to substantiate your own posts.

Since I enjoy discussion with you I will proceed, but if you find it weary please feel free to ignore.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
To assuage your seemingly compulsive requirements for footnotes, let me make this stipulation: The majority of my statements on A2K represent my opinions, and when I feel the need to cite sources, I will.

I am not requesting "footnotes" Finn. I'm not even asking for sources. I simply didn't think you know what the origin of the family was.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I purport to know the origins of the familial structure through my reading on the subject and my own analysis.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I daresay that no one on earth can actually know the origins of the familial structure

This last one I agree with, and is why I had asked. In any case, this line of inquiry seems to have really irritated you, and I don't intend to pursue it further.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I have to question your understanding of familial dysfunction if you believe it can be remedied by avoidance. Your analogy about attendance at a family dinners suggest, at best, a superficial understanding of a dysfunctional family. (Congratulations on your ignorance by the way).

I'm not sure that proximity is a prerequisite to familial function, but in any case I could certainly have chosen a better word than "remedied".

However, I do not think this a product of an "ignorance" you "congradulate" me on.

I don't have any nifty insults for you, so I'll get back to my original point and comment on it:

Craven de Kere wrote:
The family analogy is, indeed, apt.

Especially when you note that some people see their nation as their family and some see humanity on the whole as their family you will better understand the differences between their positions.

This is what started our exchange.

Let me expound on it. Some people are more "protectionist" in their politics than others. Some see the world as "my nation verus the world". Others don't see things this way.

The "families" are metaphoric in nature, and I'm unsure why I allowed myself to be drawn into hair-splitting about what would constitute appropriate use of the metaphor of "family". I think your clarification below summarizes this:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I am using a definition of "family" that apparently doesn't conform to your own. I have not, at all, contended that a group be cohesive and functional to meet the definition of family. What I have contended is that a family need be cohesive and functional if it is not to be described as "dysfunctional." A family may exist whether it is functional or dysfunctional.

Craven de Kere wrote:

Yes.

So if it's all the same to you, I don't intend to dispute your objections to the use of "family" anymore, as you have brought up more interesting points to discuss than that.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
...if a family will only form around a commonly perceived threat, the actuality of a given threat is immaterial to the formation of a family unit. Family units will form in response to a perceived threat that doesn't actually exist; they will not form in response to an actual threat that is not perceived

Thing is, I'm not sure that a "family" will only form in response to a threat unless unrealized interests are characterized as threats.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
How is it practical? What practicality is actually achieved by conceiving of a family of man that cannot be achieved by conceiving of a family of Americans or a family of Floridians or a family of miamians ...

In regard to your first question: I'm referring to the shared interests of "the body of man", and not collaborative societal structures.

I think it is practical to recognize shared interests and reduce instinctual protectionism to forward them.

I have no idea what you are asking in the second question.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
That is all well and good Craven, but these attitudes are hardly antiquated unless there is, at least, a building wave of new ones. I don't believe there is. It may be pleasant to think there is, but where is the evidence that this change is upon us?

This is an interesting point. I'm inclined to agree. The attitudes can't accurately be described as "antiquated" and as you aptly point out they are still entrenched.

However, I contend that they are not "forward looking".

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Craven de Kere wrote:

Your speaking of it doesn't make it so. I have to assume that you have examples in mind of the world moving in this direction, if not having actually arrived.

Doesn't make what so Finn? Each nation is a nation among a world of nations.

If you are asking whether there is a thrend toward more collaboration I think there is, but when you speak of "arriving" what do you have in mind?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
What geopolitical evolution is that?

Globalism has risen and receded in the past. It's dominance is not inevitable and it certainly isn't necessary to the continued survival of man or geopolitics.

This is a really intersting point. I'm curious as to what you think of the "inevitability" of globalism, but if it's not too much to ask I'd also like to know what you mean by "globalism" (people tend to use the word for very different concepts).

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
That an increasingly global economy increasingly intertwines the interests of nation states doesn't make a family of man inevitable. Whether one focuses on threat, as I do, or interests as, perhaps you do, it is not enough that these threats and interests actually exist. They must be realized by the would be family members. Perhaps there is a family of nation states forming, but that is something quite different from a family of man.

Part of this is still in the dispute of the appropriateness of the "family" metaphor. But I bring it up anyway because it has some interest to me beyond that.

What do you think of the likelihood that said realization of threats and interests will not be realized?

And, at the risk of re-entering my pedantry about "family", if a family of nation states is forming, and it is quite different from a family of man, would you also agree that it's different from a family of a single nation?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

That is the issue of whether or not a family of nations is functional or dysfunctional. It will only be a family if the members clearly wishes to organize to respond to recognized common threats

However, it is not a small difference that separates a family of nations and the family of man.

I agree that realization of common threats and interests is necessary, do you think the protectionism I spoke of earlier ("us against the world" is an impediment to this?

Lastly, where do you see the family of nations trending, and what do you suppose it will result in?

I personally think we trend towards it, and I think it will grow. I don't think it will be as absolute as you seem to interpret "family of man" which is perhaps another definitional incompatibility that I don't wish to spend time on.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
I came in a little late for this remark but the benefit of our Oil War in Iraq was never to be about cheaper prices at the pump.....it was and is about higher profits for the handful of oil companies and people associated with them, and f*#k the people at the pump not to mention the dead soldiers and civilians on all sides of this "war against terror" ......the fact that despite all the "increased expenses" of getting gas to our pumps has not prevented oil company NET profits from going through the roof bears this out....their is an oil related benefit to this "war", it's just not one that trickles down to Joe Citizen.....it was never supposed to.....there was a war on terror....in Afghanistan....the war for profit was deemed to have a higher priority.....
now of course the actions of this Iraq travesty have expoentially increased terror activities, plots and rumours of plots everywhere.....which allows those who profit to tell the American people that Osama is no longer the focus of a larger war which must be fought unceasingly with no end in sight......and the same group becomes richer and richer in money, resources and most importantly power as a result.
Very tricky, but not everyone is so easily fooled.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 10:17 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[Until there is a threat to the entire family of man, there will be no family of man.

So there is none yet? I thought your litany was that the current terror threat met that definition and that's why it trumped every other issue?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 10:27 am
farmerman wrote:
whew, not a good sign. seems only one side wishes to have legitimacy. That could pose some transition adjida.

I think that, on the time of the Bush selection, most of us were willing to allow a honeymoon. Even at the start of the Iraq war, most of us were supporters , based on data that we believed was true.
I became doubtful when , working in the DOE field, we saw no evidence of atmospheric borne isotopes that are coincident with creating red boy or yellow cake, no isotopes from UF6, and no isotopes from enrichment. It turned out that intelligence analysts were keeping their mouths shut about all the WMD stuff, but the administration was cooking their data. NOW, many intel analysts are coming forward.
AND, as a result, many of us former dull witted followers are now unforgiving Bush critics.
The entire cabinet and the president lied and they must be made accountable. Losing the election is only a start.

One of the things that has frustrated me from day one of "Black Tuesday" and I did see it that way from day one was that people like Farmerman who are decidedly and obviously NOT dull witted, and certainly more educated than and probably smarter than me seemed to support and swallow the bush doctrine of bullshit so readily. In my opinion for Farmerman (and many like him) to look at the facts and change their minds is a testimony in fact to their intelligence. Cheers and a tip of the hat my bearded friend......and may many of the rest of you follow his example in the next 48 hours.....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:21 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[Until there is a threat to the entire family of man, there will be no family of man.

So there is none yet? I thought your litany was that the current terror threat met that definition and that's why it trumped every other issue?

Read the rest of the discussion bipo, and you may understand.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:22 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Read the rest of the discussion bipo, and you may understand.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:25 am
thanks finn I already did and I already understand.
any charge for that condescension or is it on the house?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:27 am
I'll debit it against your account. You have a large outstanding balance.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
well do me a favor and hold your breath until a payment is forthcoming..... Laughing
0 Replies