If Kerry Becomes President.....

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
will you patriotic republicans put aside your partisan feelings and disappointments and stand 100% squarely behind our new leader in this important time in our history Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,060 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm
I would do for Kerry, what he DIDN'T do for the American people during the Vietnam war.

I am a big believer that my country is like a big, extended family. I may bitch and gripe to my family, and we may call each other all sorts of names, but I will stand united with them as far as the rest of the world is concerned!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:35 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would do for Kerry, what he DIDN'T do for the American people during the Vietnam war.

I am a big believer that my country is like a big, extended family. I may bitch and gripe to my family, and we may call each other all sorts of names, but I will stand united with them as far as the rest of the world is concerned!

phoenix you're already not supporting him and sniping at him and he's not even in the white house yet Laughing ......what he didn't do for the american people...and I think we all know exactly what you mean by that....is strictly a matter of opinion........
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:37 pm
Quote:
I think we all know exactly what you mean by that....is strictly a matter of opinion........

Bi- Yup......and it's MY opinion, and I'm entitled to it. So there! Laughing

And if you really read what I wrote, you would see that if he does become elected, I would support him, as far as the rest of the world is concerned.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I think we all know exactly what you mean by that....is strictly a matter of opinion........

Bi- Yup......and it's MY opinion, and I'm entitled to it. So there! Laughing

And if you really read what I wrote, you would see that if he does become elected, I would support him, as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

so you approve of the politics of deception?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:51 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
!

If we hadn't had anyone notice that the Vietnam War was a terrible, terrible thing, we might still be there, for Pete's sake.

Kerry did what he thought was right FOR the American people. Are you forgetting those times? Because I haven't. The reason America has any claim to greatness is the Constitutional legality for people to say what they think... and the willingness of a few brave souls to go ahead and say it. In fact, those few brave souls saved us during the Viet Nam war era.

What you seem to be saying, Phoenix, is we should be ham-strung and not say anything. I say, if you really don't think President Kerry is doing a good job, then speak out. Better yet, run for office yourself.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:03 pm
"I would do for Kerry, what he DIDN'T do for the American people during the Vietnam war. "

Perhaps we should consider doing for Kerry what he DID do for the American people during and after Vietnam: put the country's needs before his own because of love and patriotism.

It would have been easier to hide out as George did, but Kerry volunteered.

It would have been easier to keep going in the boat and leave his fellow American soldier to die, but he went back for him.

It would have been easier to come home and get a cushy job handed to him, but he put his own career at risk by speaking out against a war we have all come to know was wrong.

It would have been easier to sit back and "work" at trying to run a business, say a family baseball team, or a family oil company, but instead he worked as a public prosecuter fighting to keep criminals off the streets, and as a senator on the Foreign Relations Committee to probe international scandal, and as an advocate for inner city youth and small business people, and as a veteran to work in a bi-partisan effort to deal with our MIAs.

It would be easier to not read newspapers and just go with your gut as a public figure shaping public policy, but he chooses instead to use reason and intellect and wisdom before making decisions that affect the lives of millions, like, say, getting America involved in a lie-based, pre-emptive, unilateral invasion that has sucked our surplus dry (and created a historic deficit for our children and grandchildren), made us less safe from real terrorists, alienated our needed long-term allies, and asked over a thousand young Americans to die for oil and revenge.

Bi,

Don't expect the opposition to get behind whoever is elected. This country is bitterly divided along every possible line. Bush did this. He took an incredibly united post-911 American people, and ripped us apart with his unabashed, extreme right-wing, exclusive, divisive, fundamentalist, discriminatory agenda.

These deep, painful divisions, before anything else, will be his legacy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
Were he to make any decisions I agree with--or prove me wrong about what I perceive to be good or bad policy, I'll admit it and give him credit.

Because a strong America trumps partisan affiliation.

But, I'll complain bitterly if he screws up.
----
Could Bush get the same in a second administration? A non-partisan examination of his policy and actions...?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
Lash wrote:
Could Bush get the same in a second administration? A non-partisan examination of his policy and actions...?

As, say, Clinton did?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
Lash wrote" "Because a strong America trumps partisan affiliation."

I emphatically agree with you on this. I also believe it will never happen. The country is bitterly polarized.

Thanks, George.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
Quote:
What you seem to be saying, Phoenix, is we should be ham-strung and not say anything. I say, if you really don't think President Kerry is doing a good job, then speak out. Better yet, run for office yourself.

Piffka-I think that you haven't understood what I wrote. Sure, the Vietnam war was awful, and never should have happened. Looking back, I agree with people who burned draft cards, protested in AMERICAN streets, and even went to Canada. That is not the same as meeting with, and giving aid and comfort to the enemy, as Kerry did, when he met with the Viet Cong in Paris, in 1971.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
angie wrote:
Lash wrote:

As, say, Clinton did?

Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
I can't speak for people other than myself.

There were a few policies of Clinton's I agreed with--and said so.

Have you agreed with any of Bush's policies?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:33 pm
Lash wrote:
Have you agreed with any of Bush's policies?

Hmmm.

Well, just off the top of my head .......

Embryonic stem cell research? No.
Kyoto? No.
Ashcroft? No.
Operation Ignore (re Osama in Afghanistan)? No.
Invasion of Iraq? No.
Insulting Old Europe? No.
Not allowing us to view the flag-draped coffins coming home? No.
Tax cut for the extremely wealthy? No.
Two more tax cuts for the extremely wealthy? No. No.
Funding faith-based charities? No.
Under-funding No Child Left Behind? No.
Nominating someone for a US District court seat who does not believe in separation of church and state, who does not believe pregnancy from rape occurs enough to be a real issue, and who does believe a wife should subordinate herself to her husband? No. No. No.
Supporting a discriminatory amendment to the US Constitution? No.

How can anyone possibly want four more years of this man?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:50 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Piffka-I think that you haven't understood what I wrote. Sure, the Vietnam war was awful, and never should have happened. Looking back, I agree with people who burned draft cards, protested in AMERICAN streets, and even went to Canada. That is not the same as meeting with, and giving aid and comfort to the enemy, as Kerry did, when he met with the Viet Cong in Paris, in 1971.

Do you truly believe that Kerry went to Paris to meet with Viet Cong?

Kerry was in Paris with his wife following their wedding. While there he was invited to talk with members from both sides of Viet Nam who were engaged in PEACE talks there, which he did, briefly. You make it sound as though he went to Paris and engaged in deep negotiations with the enemy, which no one, not even the FBI which was following him closely, has ever suggested.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
phoenix-If you take time to read Kerry"s testimony in front of Congress, I think youd openly cry. He stated that , by not being given proper backing and leaderhip, the QAmerican Mission was in trouble. He decried the loss of our troops lives for little cause other than one which could not be substantiated (and which was verified by MacNamara years later). He put his ass on the line and earned a right to dissent (which is a Constitutional guarantee if we recall).
At the close of his testim ony a senator asked him to move his microphone and lower his hands . Only then did the question come up
"Is that a Silver Star and bronze Star"?
'Are those 3 purple hearts?"

'Mr chairman,We have no further questions of this witness." I urge you to read the testimony it makes Mr Oneills SBVFT's sound like a bunch of opportunist coat tail hangers, who are trying to please their patron.

and, Kerry did not meet with the VietCong. He was, as Piffka correctly stated invited to speak to a joint peace negotiation meeting between the combatants.
Such spin doesnt become you Phoenix.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:13 pm
Kerry's testimony was compelling...and it is my strong opinion that it helped America...and its fighting forces.

As Farmerman said...read the testimony.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
Re: If Kerry Becomes President.....
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
will you patriotic republicans put aside your partisan feelings and disappointments and stand 100% squarely behind our new leader in this important time in our history Question

Should Kerry win next week, or next month or next year - however long it takes to declare a winner, I can safely predict that I will not stand 100% squarely behind him.

I don't stand 100% squarely behind George Bush and I don't think anyone, necessarily, should.

What I can predict is that I will not criticize his every word and every decision simply because he is a Democrat who beat a Republican.

When I do criticize him, I will not resort to vicious hyperbolic attacks or advance absurd conspiracy theories.

I will judge his presidency based on the quality of his decisions and not his party affiliation or the general idiocy of the fools who voted him in. :wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:56 pm
All of you claiming that Kerry was invited to speak with the North Vietnamese in Paris are forgetting one thing.
IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR A COMMISSIONED MILITARY OFFICER TO MEET WITH THE ENEMY,ANYWHERE,AT ANY TIME.

Here is the actual Kerry quote,along with the Federal law he violated.
"I have been to Paris. I have talked with both delegations at the peace talks, that is to say the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Provisional Revolutionary Government and of all eight of Madam Binh's points it has been stated time and time again, and was stated by Senator Vance Hartke when he returned from Paris, and it has been stated by many other officials of this Government, if the United States were to set a date for withdrawal the prisoners of war would be returned.

I think this negates very clearly the argument of the President that we have to maintain a presence in Vietnam, to use as a negotiating block for the return of those prisoners. The setting of a date will accomplish that.

-- John Kerry, testifying before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, April 22, 1971

----------
Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

-- U.S. Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 45, Section 953: Private correspondence with foreign governments

Show me where it says he was invited.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 03:07 pm
Re: If Kerry Becomes President.....
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Should Kerry win next week, or next month or next year - however long it takes to declare a winner, I can safely predict that I will not stand 100% squarely behind him.

I don't stand 100% squarely behind George Bush and I don't think anyone, necessarily, should.

What I can predict is that I will not criticize his every word and every decision simply because he is a Democrat who beat a Republican.

When I do criticize him, I will not resort to vicious hyperbolic attacks or advance absurd conspiracy theories.

I will judge his presidency based on the quality of his decisions and not his party affiliation or the general idiocy of the fools who voted him in. :wink:

I will wear the badge of fool like the Sox and their fans wear the badge of idiot...... Very Happy
0 Replies